Logic, stealth and jump inhibitors

Reaction score
    Can anyone clarify how logic works on AI ships as regards jump inhibitors and stealth?

Can you set up an AI ship that uses either of those systems automatically? In general, what type of limitations are there for logic on systems that otherwise need players to click on the hot bar?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Cloak and Jam can not be activated by logic, nor can they run on a ship not piloted by a player.
    Scanners also can not be used by logic.
    Logic can not fire the core beam (which just turns things on/off) nor the rail docker beam. If you hook up a rail docker with logic, a logic signal to the docker will undock the ship.

Jump Inhibitors can be toggled by logic, and there are logic inhibitors in the CC.
    Jump drives need a logic clock continuously pulsing signals to them to charge/jump effectively.
    All weapons systems fire once when receiving an on signal. For continuous fire, use a logic clock.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I built a small jump inhibitor system into some of the pirates on my server. It was just a few inhibitor modules, mostly to mess with people's 'backup' jump drives and such if they happened to jump into a pirate sector. At the time, chain drives were not a thing. Little did I know they would turn out to be exceedingly cruel, apparently stopping chain drives in their tracks anytime they hopped into a sector with those pirates.

I used an extremely simple pulse clock that would activate the modules once per second, as I knew little of the optimum way to do things when I was rather hastily building those pirate ships. Would anyone have advice on the proper way to build such a jump inhibitor system for AI pirates? Is a once per second pulse clock optimum? Is there an optimum logic setup that is either very block efficient, or less likely to glitch?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    How about Overdrive? Will the AI use that, or could it be turned on via remote?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Defensive effects can neither be used by the AI nor activated by logic.
    Would you happen to know if this is by design or by omission? Will it always be the case that defensive effects are only for players and only for their primary ship entity (defensive effects as I understand, won't work on docked entities like turrets either)?

Right now the only way to use defensive effects is to manually activate them. You 'can' do this with turrets, but you have to manually enter each and every turret you have such effects on and manually activate them yourself, one by one. If you've built a heavily turreted ship, this can be quite the chore. Maybe the developers could take pity on us and allow docked entities to inherit the activation of defensive effects from their parent (assuming they possess the same capacity)?

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Would you happen to know if this is by design or by omission? Will it always be the case that defensive effects are only for players and only for their primary ship entity (defensive effects as I understand, won't work on docked entities like turrets either)?

Right now the only way to use defensive effects is to manually activate them. You 'can' do this with turrets, but you have to manually enter each and every turret you have such effects on and manually activate them yourself, one by one. If you've built a heavily turreted ship, this can be quite the chore. Maybe the developers could take pity on us and allow docked entities to inherit the activation of defensive effects from their parent (assuming they possess the same capacity)?
    ⚓ T320 bobby AI won't use defensive effects
    ⚓ T382 blocks can't be activated by logic but can be linked

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Thank you Malacodor. They are bugs, just not yet addressed. Do you know this stuff by heart or are you just god's gift to search engine usage?

I suppose this means it would not necessarily be a bad thing to build in such systems into turrets and such that we do not want to be obsolete in a year or two. (I assume the bug will get fixed eventually, but given how long it's been around, it may yet take a long time.) They would in the interim be slightly less efficient than turrets that used the space for shields or something (or were just made less massive), but ...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Currently, the only passive effects that can be used by logic are Push and Pull, both of which require logic clocks to continuously pulse signals to them in order to work.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Thank you Malacodor. They are bugs, just not yet addressed. Do you know this stuff by heart or are you just god's gift to search engine usage?

I suppose this means it would not necessarily be a bad thing to build in such systems into turrets and such that we do not want to be obsolete in a year or two. (I assume the bug will get fixed eventually, but given how long it's been around, it may yet take a long time.) They would in the interim be slightly less efficient than turrets that used the space for shields or something (or were just made less massive), but ...
    Well, the report about logic activation says that defensive effects should either be activatable by logic OR it should not be possible to link logic to effect computers in the first place. So a fix won't necessarily produce the desired result.

I have simply bookmarked all bugs, that hamper me.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I will PAY $20. to any developer to answer this question officially. "Will it be possible at some point to activate defensive effects either by logic, or by default on a ship to which an AI entity is docked that itself activates the same defensive effect?" Please PM me your Email address so I can do a Paypal transfer.

Note I am not asking for a time frame for when this will be possible, though a best guess would be nice.

Reactions: Malacodor
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I will PAY $20. to any developer to answer this question officially. "Will it be possible at some point to activate defensive effects either by logic, or by default on a ship to which an AI entity is docked that itself activates the same defensive effect?" Please PM me your Email address so I can do a Paypal transfer.

Note I am not asking for a time frame for when this will be possible, though a best guess would be nice.
    Don't forget, that the receiver has to pay the transaction fee, so you have to send more than $20 to compensate that.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    The transaction fee at Paypal is pretty trivial. I don't remember what it is, but it's like 2% or something.