Read by Council Lightimprovement possible?

Reaction score
    Hi would like to have lightblocks without that ugly borders at the edge.
    And is it possible to add a new blocktype , that provides passivelights where the lightsorce can be a bit away, leading it to another spot , like fiberglass ? For passive lights, and where you don´t wanna be the source being seen.
    And maybe a logicblock that works as a dimmer ?

Regards

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Possible existing alternatives which might be able to fill some of what you want:
    • Crystals are somewhat like light blocks without the metal border--though cannot be turned off.
    • Ice is translucent, passing some light and partially concealing what's behind it. Many folks use it to create interesting engine lighting effects. It's not transmissive like fiberoptic cable, but I'm having a hard time seeing what the point of that would be since you can just put a light-emitting block where the end of the fiber would be.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think hes suggesting an invisible light block. So you can perhaps c on a light block then v on the invisible light block enabling a light source to be there but not something visible/physical outside buildmode. It would allow for greater creative freedom without having to place an eyesore light rod/block and instead just illuminating the area without the clutter.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hi would like to have lightblocks without that ugly borders at the edge.
    This is a texturing issue. kupu is the one who handles this sort of thing. He is currently working on an overhaul of all textures, so you might want to hop over to his thread and make a request.

For the rest, I am also a bit uncertain as to what you are asking for. I know spotlights are confirmed and wisp/point lights have been suggested before. I think it was one of the Councilors, but I can't remember who. Maybe SkylordLuke could ask around for us? Seems kind of a waste to tag them all.

Also, there is a graphics update planned (eventually), which will include improvements to lighting.

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    MDJinRoh Are you suggesting that you could make any block a possible light source or are you suggesting an invisible light source?
    I do like the idea of making any block a light source.

Please tag or quote me to get a faster response.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    For light dimming, I think logic slaving would be a great solution.

Be able to slave multiple activation blocks to a light block. Then, depending on how many of those activation blocks are "on", that's a percentage of the overall count of slaved activation blocks that is translated to the light level. Example: if four activation blocks are linked to a light block, and three of them are on, the light emits 75% of the normal maximum light level. If logic deactivates two of those three slaved activation blocks, the light source becomes 25% of the normal maximum light level.

It would take a ton of extra blocks to create detailed control, but would fit in with the game's current paradigm.

Typically, if you are going to use light dimming, it's going to be for a specific, dramatic effect, making the cost of extra blocks worth the effect, and with logic, it is very flexible. Imagine creating a flickering effect using a rotary clock and a pseudorandomizer to change the light level wildly.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    For light dimming, I think logic slaving would be a great solution.

Be able to slave multiple activation blocks to a light block. Then, depending on how many of those activation blocks are "on", that's a percentage of the overall count of slaved activation blocks that is translated to the light level. Example: if four activation blocks are linked to a light block, and three of them are on, the light emits 75% of the normal maximum light level. If logic deactivates two of those three slaved activation blocks, the light source becomes 25% of the normal maximum light level.

It would take a ton of extra blocks to create detailed control, but would fit in with the game's current paradigm.

Typically, if you are going to use light dimming, it's going to be for a specific, dramatic effect, making the cost of extra blocks worth the effect, and with logic, it is very flexible. Imagine creating a flickering effect using a rotary clock and a pseudorandomizer to change the light level wildly.
    Light dimming has already been suggested but to go in on your suggestion, I would rather go for re-use of the rail speed controller.
    Instead of having 4 logic activators slaved to every single light you want to dim, I would go for the railspeed controller idea and connect 4 blocks to the controller and then select the lights with the controller, you'll need 5 block per light group instead of 4 but it will take a lot less time to connect say 100 lights because you want to dim them to 1/4th of normal light.

Reaction score
    Hi guys , sry for that late response.
    For example, when you build a glasswall , with that passive lights , so it looks like a TV. where the lightsource is not directly visible.
    Another idea is an Fishtank , just as an example.

Possible existing alternatives which might be able to fill some of what you want:
    • Crystals are somewhat like light blocks without the metal border--though cannot be turned off.
    • Ice is translucent, passing some light and partially concealing what's behind it. Many folks use it to create interesting engine lighting effects. It's not transmissive like fiberoptic cable, but I'm having a hard time seeing what the point of that would be since you can just put a light-emitting block where the end of the fiber would be.
    Crystals have texture like all other lightsources, and ice only exists in cubes.