Planned spotlight block (using same lights as flashlight)

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    so after reading the dev blog, and watching the video, I think this should be added together with flashlight.
    in the video you see him in a ship and you see the light, something like that.

it's noting more than using the light from flashlight once it is finished and then put it on a block and make it able to change direction

but then well, not on a heli xD

getting close to this:

and probably way more things people can think of

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think we have to all agree not to use spotlights on tinier ships. It's vital that we, as a community, make sure we don't crash the game on purpose by putting spotlights everywhere, especially not on drones. (The dedicated testers will be the exception to be able to drive the engine to its limits and report on where it breaks. They know who they are.)

There may even need to be a system setting that automatically turns off spotlights on AI-driven entities.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    There can just be a cap on visible spotlights, just as there is for missile flares. Not a hard problem to solve. I don't see why we have to force AIs not to be able to use flashlights, and I especially don't want them not to work on small ships in general - small ships being the type that would get the most dramatic effect from using a spotlight in the first place.

Reactions: alij331

EMC007

The guy who's always in way over his head
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This would be perfect when exploring dark and abandoned stations as well as mining asteroids in, maybe sectors without suns?

+1

Reaction score
    I'm all for this so long as it doesn't overly strain the servers or clients.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hey, I'd be happy if they were simply 1 direction spotlights with a max distance/max spread.

Reaction score
    I want this so bad. Now for performance. Maybe make it so it doesn't light up other entities unless a actual pilot is in the main ship to reduce any possible lag.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This would be an amazing addition, of course there would probably have to be hard limits to avoid performance issues.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    kookster said:
    I want this so bad. Now for performance. Maybe make it so it doesn't light up other entities unless a actual pilot is in the main ship to reduce any possible lag.
    just make the light only render when in a range of 200 blocks (you can change this to higher if you got the pc for it)

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    This would be an amazing addition, of course there would probably have to be hard limits to avoid performance issues.
    It depends, but any arbitrary limit might be odd for immersion, but if he's using more defered rendering you should be able to do many many lights. The problem becomes RAM actually.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It depends, but any arbitrary limit might be odd for immersion, but if he's using more defered rendering you should be able to do many many lights. The problem becomes RAM actually.
    For a basic entity only light effect, I think it would take only a bit more than a normal light. But if a spotlight has to light up a different entity, idk.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    For a basic entity only light effect, I think it would take only a bit more than a normal light. But if a spotlight has to light up a different entity, idk.
    I've been reading up on how deferred lighting works. You "should" be able to render many lights like that since you render per pixel instead of per light per vertex. The problem is just RAM and how you transfer the data to the graphics card from what I read. It's a pretty intense problem. I'd love a chance to try it :)

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I've been reading up on how deferred lighting works. You "should" be able to render many lights like that since you render per pixel instead of per light per vertex. The problem is just RAM and how you transfer the data to the graphics card from what I read. It's a pretty intense problem. I'd love a chance to try it :)
    isn't it already possible to try? with a bit of modding? I really have a gap of knowledge with computer related stuff.

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    There's ore here; hard to tell without a light :/

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    There's ore here; hard to tell without a light :/
    The new beacon glow actually comes pretty close to being a spotlight, if used correctly.

(btw how do you get a picture in here like that? when I try to upload it on starmade, it always says that the picture is too big.

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hmm, i'll have to try the beacon than! I took the pic through Steam and used the link to the cloud. Steams default screenshot quality is quite low so that's probably why it worked.