• maybe, if the % is balanced well

Votes: 2 11.8%
    • no bomb

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    I must respectfully disagree, and point you towards games such as the Mud and Blood series and Dwarf Fortress, to point out that randomized carnage and losing to the RNG can in fact be hilariously fun.
    Dwarf fortress has extremely few randomized outcomes; where all the random fuckery comes is in the context; you're randomly up against a huge goblin army, or a skeeting velociraptor, or you get one of your dwarves mauled by a polarbear because he wouldn't share his beer; you don't have them randomly drop dead because they got rock-scurvy or some other nonsense.

Do any of these random games require any kind of significant time investment? It takes weeks or months to make a great ship in starmade; of course you can still lose it but having to go back and reinvest all that time because you weren't lucky enough is absolute trash, like spending 8 hours in ark taming your first retardassaurus then having it jump off your boat because it saw a cute shark while sailing back to base isn't fun. Call it shitty ai or complete randomness; losing your work to unpredictable bullshit isn't fun, and starmade is a game where you build shit. Building games and roguelikes don't mix.

Straw man argument. I never said anything about armor tanking or that mop-up starts when shields go down. I am thinking of all the games out there, where everyone knows who is going to win and who is going to lose, and it just takes so long to finish the fight. Watch yourself.
    You're saying the time after the fight is determined doesn't matter, but that time can draw out to several minutes; more than enough for a friend to warp in and swing the fight, or charge a jumpdrive to get out, or self-destruct your ship so opponent can't claim resources. This also makes miners with poor combat stats extra vulnerable to tiny ships. Starmade is not a pure action game, not all time spent is wasted.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Wesnoth has a custom map where lava rises from below and you have to reach top.
    And it is also annoying if you clop enemy units and miss all the time and then the enemy hits you all the time.
    You can't compensate this with strategy as every unit you retreat makes your force weaker and deal less damage / take more.

Your units have 7-4 strikes (7 damage, 4 strikes) with 30% chance and may fail all 4 strikes!!! It totals in 120%
    When my units hit once in 12 hits with a 50% hit rate, I quit the game. Really.

It wasn't the only reason, the other being boring stories where you do the same all over (turn based hack&slash), but this random stuff drove me off all but the best campaigns.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Wesnoth has a custom map where lava rises from below and you have to reach top.
    And it is also annoying if you clop enemy units and miss all the time and then the enemy hits you all the time.
    You can't compensate this with strategy as every unit you retreat makes your force weaker and deal less damage / take more.

Your units have 7-4 strikes (7 damage, 4 strikes) with 30% chance and may fail all 4 strikes!!! It totals in 120%
    When my units hit once in 12 hits with a 50% hit rate, I quit the game. Really.

It wasn't the only reason, the other being boring stories where you do the same all over (turn based hack&slash), but this random stuff drove me off all but the best campaigns.
    Wesnoth is a gambling game, that is frequently mistaken for a strategy game.