• maybe, if the % is balanced well

Votes: 2 11.8%
    • no bomb

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Although I am VERY SAD about the gone of docked reactors
    (I start building those since dev for power supply beam become 3rd system for weapon before wireless logic comes out)

I am happy about the new power auxiliary block
    just because it can explode, and it's super fun for fights

keep me thinking,,,,,,how about change all block require/generate power bomb-able?
    Also damage other blocks when explode, but of course in different %.

For example, Power Capacitor
    every hit it got, have 0.5% chance of explode, and the explode damage
    to other block is base on the remaining hp of the block, so if the block survived after multi hits
    the damage to other block will be much lower than when it explode on the first hit

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    I think this is a good idea and would be more realistic. I would take it further to include things like Explosive Effect. Setting of a reaction in one of these would be similar to having a ships magazine hit.

Reaction score
    The thing is once you add more explosive systems you make weapons that pierce through blocks all the more potent. That being said I am all for adding system blocks that explode when hit. I totally agree that the power aux blocks were a step in the right direction with their explosive mechanic.

Reactions: Shadow2Lead

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It would be fun if it were required to eject them before a delayed explosion happens.
    1. Aux is hit
    2. Now you got 10 seconds to eject it or it goes BOOM INSIDE your ship
    3. 10 seconds later explosions happen - hopefully you ejected your power core until then.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    while i dig ships having weak points that you have to protect I think that making every system block combustible could make people hesitant to build systems all over their ships.

at least in this game when your ship starts to fall apart for the most part you dont have to worry about systems blowing up and taking more of your ship with it. It'd feel like you've deliberately placed bombs all over your ship

Reaction score
    while i dig ships having weak points that you have to protect I think that making every system block combustible could make people hesitant to build systems all over their ships.

at least in this game when your ship starts to fall apart for the most part you dont have to worry about systems blowing up and taking more of your ship with it. It'd feel like you've deliberately placed bombs all over your ship
    i think you missed a point there, with the % for blowing up is very low for other blocks comparing to a power auxiliary block. So you won't get blow up on every hit, maybe your ship won't blow up at all for a lot of battles if you are lucky. So those are not weak points, their exploding is just to adding fun to battling.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    i think you missed a point there, with the % for blowing up is very low for other blocks comparing to a power auxiliary block. So you won't get blow up on every hit, maybe your ship won't blow up at all for a lot of battles if you are lucky. So those are not weak points, their exploding is just to adding fun to battling.
    Why not take it a step further and have a 0.0001% chance to instantly die whenever you're hit?

Shit happening at random isn't fun.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Actually peoples wouldn't care anymore.
    They would just add more shields to not receive any damage at all or increase their guns to kill the enemy before the enemy kills them.

Reaction score
    It would be fun if it were required to eject them before a delayed explosion happens.
    1. Aux is hit
    2. Now you got 10 seconds to eject it or it goes BOOM INSIDE your ship
    3. 10 seconds later explosions happen - hopefully you ejected your power core until then.
    I think this would be great. But it would require the "core" to be docked which brings us right back to where we were with docked power supplies.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I have always thought it would be fun for systems to get explosive when they drop below a percentage of the original health. For example, if 90% of the reactor blocks are destroyed, the remaining 10% should become explosive. This reflects how battles work in Scifi media (as fictional ships get weaker from battle damage, they are more likely to detonate, unless they are a "hero" ship, in which case, they enjoy extra plot armor) and it also improves the fun by reducing the "mop-up" time of the end-phase of a space battle with a mercifully swift end.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I have always thought it would be fun for systems to get explosive when they drop below a percentage of the original health. For example, if 90% of the reactor blocks are destroyed, the remaining 10% should become explosive. This reflects how battles work in Scifi media (as fictional ships get weaker from battle damage, they are more likely to detonate, unless they are a "hero" ship, in which case, they enjoy extra plot armor) and it also improves the fun by reducing the "mop-up" time of the end-phase of a space battle with a mercifully swift end.
    We already have the system HP for a swift end.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    The "mop-up face" being as soon as you lose shields. You fuckers must really hate armor tanking considering all the shit you want to add to make it useless.

Actually peoples wouldn't care anymore.
    They would just add more shields to not receive any damage at all or increase their guns to kill the enemy before the enemy kills them.
    This!

All of these hull damage penalties just make armor worse than it allready is. Try using 5 groups of cannons each at ~5000 damage with punch-through effect on a ship and see how deep they go. (hint: its around 100 blocks) With can/beam or can/pulse you can easily fit this on a tiny fighter. Strapping a bunch of bombs all over your ship like this just ends the fight as soon as shields go down; it doesn't clean it up after it's already determined. When these effects can be easily triggered at 100% armor HP and instantly cripple a ship it doesn't add to the game, it removes a massive portion of combat; You can't retreat to recover shields if your ship blows up the moment they're down. This also makes anti-hull weapons pointless; why would you have different kinds of weapons if all you need is a few fighter grade guns with high penetration to blow up your opponents systems; Just have everything as ion weapons.

While on this topic, can we remove the retarded penalties from taking hull damage on the same grounds, please? You allready suffer power outtages because your reactor blocks are being shot out, you don't need some arbitrary random penalty on top; especially when you can't design around it.

If you want something like this first make armor useful; It has ZERO stopping power so hitting systems deeper in ship is too easy.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If you want something like this first make armor useful; It has ZERO stopping power so hitting systems deeper in ship is too easy.
    We could have fluid armour instead of shields.

You have a tank of armour-fluid and it replaces lost blocks as long as you have enough 5 seconds after a block took damage.
    (Just reverse damage taken by a delayed task)​

Reaction score

You have a tank of armour-fluid and it replaces lost blocks as long as you have enough 5 seconds after a block took damage.
    (Just reverse damage taken by a delayed task)​
    this sounds cool, self-repair armour until fluid use up.
    NeonSturm Sturm you should open a new thread about this

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3

(Just reverse damage taken by a delayed task)
    This is not possible in the game because the game doesn't know what your ship looks like. It is just a pile of blocks to the game. This is why a shop can't repair armor. A shipyard also completely removes a ship and then rebuilds from scracht if you ask it to repair it. It doesn't patch up the holes. And if you havn't made a design of the undamaged ship before hand. Then repair is impossible. It would also requier a lot of server cpu calculations needed for such a function. It would cause terrible lag replacing all the shot up blocks mid fight.

As for bomb-able blocks i think it's a bad idea. People will focus on taking out those. It's a bit like the core killing of old. Witch i loved btw i don't like the hp system of ships. It's cumbersome and time consuming. You can't unbuild a damaged ship without reseting it else you get thrown out of the core rather ridiculous. But bomb-able blocks are even more nasty because they damage surrounding blocks. You no longer fly a ship but a take one hit and you explode bomb.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Batavium, your arguments are bad.

First, we need "some sort of blueprint copy" anyway for astrotech repair beams.

Secondly the game could know what your ship looks like if a block is "just marked to death but not removed".
    If blocks with 0 hp render as invisible, the block is still there, just nonfunctional and removed from mass, etc.

And thirdly, you could counteract it with rotation and changing the angle of attack.

Forth, it wouldn't introduce more lag than taking blocks away.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'm sure comparing a design with a damaged ship and replacing destroyed or damaged blocks is a trivial thing to do and wouldn't take long for any mediocre PC. It was just unnecessary to code, since full construction and deconstruction had to be made anyway and can do the same job.

Secondly the game could know what your ship looks like if a block is "just marked to death but not removed". If blocks with 0 hp render as invisible, the block is still there, just nonfunctional and removed from mass, etc.
    Wayward Terran Frontier works this way. There it's possible to repair large parts of a ship back into existence with a simple repair beam. It might need significant changes in the engine for StarMade, though. Also, we would need a build mode option to show destroyed blocks as well as a manual repair option.

Last edited:
    Reactions: NeonSturm

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The "mop-up face" being as soon as you lose shields. You fuckers must really hate armor tanking considering all the shit you want to add to make it useless.
    Straw man argument. I never said anything about armor tanking or that mop-up starts when shields go down. I am thinking of all the games out there, where everyone knows who is going to win and who is going to lose, and it just takes so long to finish the fight. Watch yourself.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score

(Just reverse damage taken by a delayed task)
    This does nothing to stop penetration though.

Reaction score
    Why not take it a step further and have a 0.0001% chance to instantly die whenever you're hit?

Shit happening at random isn't fun.
    I must respectfully disagree, and point you towards games such as the Mud and Blood series and Dwarf Fortress, to point out that randomized carnage and losing to the RNG can in fact be hilariously fun.

However, in a more simulate-y sandbox like SM, using the RNG to determine the fates of players is a bad idea. I mean, at least in MnB you know very well that when you start the game, you will eventually succumb to the effects of a Bottomburger blitz, V-1 strike, fast air blowing up your lines, or even just a random gib on the officer holding it all together.
    In SM, you expect to lose when you make a mistake, not lose when the RNG rolls a 1 and says "Meet the Wespes, noob".