Lets make a SM slang guide - I will start =)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Words like "kill" or "banned" hurt the mind - too many negative associations.

Furthermore, "killing an NPC", which is currently a pure numbers-construct, is not like killing a human, even if graphics suggest that.

We should differenciate:
    We can say "kill" when it relates to "removal of NPC", because it relates to humans.
    We should use the other term "wipe out" if it relates to auto-hostiles like pirates which "also kill others".
    For non-sentient appearing objects, we can also use "despawned".

Same for ships:
    If a ship is especially important (prototype, player flagship, faction pride, single available warship), it's a "kill".
    Most often it's a "wipe out" of some annoyance.
    For mines, drones and other "projectile-like objects", we may use "It expired." or "I despawned that."

For RP:
    If you eliminate life of crew, it's "killing".
    Doesn't matter if it's a player or NPC, player just causes more negative feedback.
    But when attacking NPCs dedicating their life to take other's or their basic needs or slavers, use "wipe out".
    Otherwise it's "despawn".
    Some RPers make exceptions so that "important communication or navigation-service satelites" are not "despawned" but "destroyed".

It may not sound like much to some peoples, but having your own distinction of these terms help communicate and add to a healthy environment.

Some different reactions / expressions of the same thing:
    Fleet-Command: "We finally wiped that pirate base out - they took too many of our allied trader-peoples already!"
    Pirate: "You'll pay for killing my father, Admiral Sowieso."
    System-AI: "Thanks for eliminating that hostiles, Admiral Sowiso. Your reward is 100'000 credits."
    Admiral Sowieso: "We will offer some reputation as insurance if this young pirate-born will start killing or destroying our installations. Our fleet has currently more important tasks with Xeno-attacks in Sector XY."
    Server: "Ship Piratedeathstar has been despawned due to overheating."
    These differences keep it clear, not only what happened, but also how it should be thought about when respecting a presented perspective.

The AI used "eliminated" (from equation) - referring to remove occupation of ressources and improving task optimisation.
    But the server uses "despawned" in reference to clear the way for new things to happen.
    Which other words would you prefer to explain/define in SM?
    For example, I have defined "despawn" and "wipe out" as common terms replacing the too-often-seen "killing".

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    how about no

This is all about fear, fear is the mind killed. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. You will face your fear. And allow it to pass over you and through you. And when it it past you will turn the inner eye and see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only you will remain.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Vocabulary related to Starmade will appear on its own. As time passes.

Reaction score
    "To despawn something" already has a clearly defined technical meaning. It will only add confusion if you try to reuse it with your own definition that nobody familiar with the term will immediately understand.

It's as if you disagree with people calling the sky "blue" because maybe for you that has a connotation of "sad", so you decide to call it "solid" from now on... which won't make sense to anybody else; or if it does, probably not in the way you intended it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Idea to alter vocabulary with force almost always fails. Just look at Canada's example.
    People just use a language as they wish, not as someone decides how it should be used.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Idea to alter vocabulary with force almost always fails.
    reminds me of Orwell's 1984 ... not good.
    I agree.

But I don'T try force. I try to open up opportunities and show alternatives.
    I explain downsides of current behaviour, possibilities we can use.
    I define opportunities which can be catched up.

Rather than force, I only posted not what I think that should be adopted by everyone, but what I think should be provided to encourage a healthy use of language.

I am not 100% sure about the term "wipe out", because english isn't my primary language.
    I associate it more with harmful plants or bacteria than with reasonable-peoples, but still be usable for harmful peoples by dictators of nations.
    But it's the best term I found after 5-10 minutes investment of time.​

Slang - there is a slang for AI (simply eliminate, delete, etc) and "friendly"-AI (describing the action by which victims lost rights to live/be-free/etc so that the right or sustainable life is preserved in long term).

You can still use "killing" for all. Killing ships, killing crew, killing stations.
    You show others that your main objective is to "remove obstacles" - whatever they are.

How did you lose ability to show, in talk or text, that your goal is preserveration?
    [doublepost=1544111343,1544109838][/doublepost]
    People just use a language as they wish, not as someone decides how it should be used.
    Generally and long term, yes.

But the term "cool" is not productive.
    Why do we think "hot topics" are "cool"? Why is a "cool guy" something we desire over a "true-to-self guy"?

Some words are raised by movies which catch the teenie-audience attention by showing good pictures or editing and cool special powers, but bad language and horrific events.
    Over time, they surely will be purged in favor of other words, but short term, they appear in language use.

I think that the common use of "killing", even if peoples "respawn" (not k-ill-ed at all), is because of simplification of language and bad use of animations like dying when it's not the final death of body, no real-life equivalent (except via soul-concepts and different versions of self).​

How do you want to argue "this killing is good" and "that killing is bad" when you only use the word "killing"?

For me, killing or "töten/morden" in german is different. "Someone died" because of a police-mens actions and it is or is not "making that police-men a killer" when it's because of an action known of ending in death.
    Neither needs murder to continue if it is a rare outside cause.

If outside cause itself is murder, it's war and war does not know murderers - only killers, but not blood-thirsty murders except these warmongers starting all of it (most evil peoples, confusing others about they being good or evil).

There are separations. Peoples can live with death when it's not targeted at a person or random actions, but caused by the inevadeable future and re-directed at the initiator of that future. But than, it's healing society from false peoples in last-resort - nothing with ill or kill.​

Reaction score
    clearly these words hurt you, fair enough. But what you are suggesting is a form of censorship, which i find it mildly offensive, what should we censor next? how about political correctness officers, sounds good?

I think your intentions is to make things better? but you cannot do that by hiding what you fear, in this case certain words.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It is not fear. They way I see it, it's neither censorship.
    It's like showing a child how to speak german or english - but later on it can learn chineese or yapaneese.
    But in this case, you OFFER (in missions, default language used by TradeGuild NPCs, etc) alternative words. rather not restrict them in chat...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Kill kill kill kill. Then kill it some more.
    [doublepost=1544166957,1544166439][/doublepost]So when’s the actual convo about SM slang going to start? So far all I’m seeing is a bunch of wingeing about the use of the word “kill”.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yes, this thread is led astray too far.

I was hoping to get a good bunch of alternative words out of it, for stuff we simplify too much - almost to baby language.

BAAAA GIVE NJAM NJAM ... BAAAA KILL DAT !

IKindaCrashAlot

Part of the Most Nefarious Faction in Starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    How about replace the word “kill” or “destroy” with “game ended” for example “bro I just game ended some pirates”

The Judge

Kill me please
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Isn't "kill" just more convenient to use just because it conveys the message more effectively than these other asinine options...?

Reactions: NaStral