Lasers for a light source?

Reaction score
    I started thinking about how i could light my ship's hallways but the normal square plex lights kinda seemed boring to me and how you have to place them about every 4 or 5 blocks apart. Then it hit me, how cool would it be to light the hallways with beams/lasers beneath a layer of glass! Think about fluorescent light tubes often seen in commercial buildings, the beams would be similar in functionality as to the light tubes. To make this possible i thought of things the game already has and i realized everything is already available to create these beams. Factories are the perfect example of how this idea could work. By this i mean think about how factories work, you use one block and link it to the other then the "pipe", which we will use as the beam for the lights, connects between the two blocks and it even has a animation to go along with it that we could keep to make the beams appear to pulse making them feel more alive. Each light block will work as an output that links to another light block making it feel like you're "connecting the dots." From the programming side i'm not sure if it would be better to make it as one block with the color being a GUI selection or make several blocks and each has a specific color output.

Reaction score
    Anyone have any input or constructive criticism? I really think this could lead to some awesome ship designs and other uses for the lights. Maybe use them along the sides of your hanger's runways? Maybe accent lights along your ship's wings? Possible use them with the upcoming activator blocks along with weapons and create some cool effects? Possibly make signs or maybe even visual flight paths for ships approaching hangers/docks!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    haha that could be fun but don't shoot with those laser in anobody's eyes ;)

Reaction score
    As cool and original as this would be, it would also be rather silly. The problems it's trying to solve are essentially that lighting doesn't work very well, thus things end up darker/lighter (mostly darker) than they should, and the current lights are boring, which could easily be fixed with more light models. It would also be pretty weird to have light-rods all over in hallways.
    All we really need are smaller lights available (like the lights in Space Engineers, which are so small you can easily miss them) and some more variety.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Cool sounding, but not really practical. I still like the general idea though ^-^

As Nebulon-B_Frigate_FTW said, we really just need another type of light source that is smaller. That said, I don't see any reason why we couldn't just have a block that had a "stripe" through the middle that was a light. That way, placing them next to each other would give a similar effect to the one you are talking about, while being less complicated and more practical.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    I didn't mean to imply that there should be literally lasers everywhere all I meant to do was to bring forth a new perspective on lighting. How often are suggestions take literally as is? Mine is just a stepping stone to something else. Also if I had said light strips I don't think it would have got much attention as it seems boring compared to lasers.