Lag spikes in new build

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Hi all,

Since the 0.19318 patch earlier, I've been experiencing lag/stuttering. The RAM usage jumps considerably for a couple of seconds and I get the "running low on RAM, increase values" warning pop up for a second. My build is up-to-date, including the hotfixes released today, but they didn't have any effect.

Now, I'm not running on a high-end PC by any means (it used to be a great gaming rig but is now around 8 years old...I'll get around to upgrading!) so the warning did pop up one before when I was building a station (quite a large one at 650m x 650mx 800m) however I increased the RAM allocation, lowered graphics settings, texture resolution etc and everything ran fine. From then on I only saw the warning when I was using the build helper tool with a particularly large radius.

Since the patch though it comes up roughly every 15 seconds or so, without fail. It doesn't matter if I'm placing blocks, in advanced build mode, in flight mode, or floating around in astronaut mode. It still comes up regular as clockwork. In the time between the spikes, everything is running smoothly and RAM usage is perfectly normal.

I noticed it immediately upon starting the game after the patch. There were no additional ships or stations loaded or built before it appeared. The universe was exactly the same before the patch and I had no issues. My large station is close by, as are a few other platform structures with various weapon testing turrets, some logic circuits, and a couple of tiny ships. Like I said, everything is exactly where it was before the patch.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this, and what I could do to fix it?

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    there are two possible causes:

1) your server does not have enough ram assigned, and your station + build helper just hit the limit of it.
    Please read this about the difference between server and client side ram, as this message "you are running low on ram" is client side, while server-timeouts in single-player usually point to a server running out of ram.

2) you have a collision in something else going on, that didnt impact before.
    Please go into your starmade-directory and wipe all contents of the /starmade/logs directory.
    Now start the game and play for a few minutes until you get the message again a few times, now quit the game, zip and attach the logs here, will look into them.

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I hadn't realised I would have to increase the RAM on the server tab, that's fixed the issue. Thank you!