Kupu's thread

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    I'd like to ask you all a question!

How would you like to see current hull textures improved?

(Please refrain from giving any feedback that requires new mechanics such as dynamically connected textures.)

Thanks in advance star pals.
    I know that it´s kind of intended but I really don´t like the tile looking nature of non standard hull. It makes everything look more blocky than needed. Most builders use standard armor because there´s no alternative to it. I would love it if they would get a little less blocky or at least enough difference between hull and advanced armor to add more possibilities than spamming standard armor and adding a few tiled details.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I'd personally prefer that, at a minimum, the textures were swapped for basic hull and standard armor. As it stands, the appearance of the basic hull is closer in appearance to advanced armor, with the only real difference being the rivets in the corners on advanced armor. Meanwhile, standard armor is a completely unique texture with a non-reflective quality to it. The two just seem like they were accidentally swapped upon their introduction.

Also, it would be great if the textures adapted when adjacent blocks of the same type are added. I'm thinking of a couple of mods I've used in the past in Minecraft. They added blocks that had a border design to them. When connected, the blocks merged so that border wrapped around the outside of the two blocks and was removed at the point of connection. This continued for as many blocks were added. In Starmade, this would mean that instead of seeing a grid of tiles where armor blocks were connected you would see one large plate. I hope my description wasn't too confusing...the Chisel mod for Minecraft comes to mind, if you want an example.

Reaction score
    Overall I don't think that it is urgent to change something here. I agree that it would be nice to separate standard advanced more clearly. I think the best way would be to give advanced a little more structure. Like for example making it look like it is composed from smaller armour plates. However, I think this is not easy to achieve, because the symmetry should not be broken. This means the probably best looking option of having rectangular stripes is out of question. Dunno if there's a good solution. I agree on the buttons, they look strange.

I don't think randomized hull textures are a good idea. An element so basic and omnipresent should be kind of basic and stable in its design.

I'd personally prefer that, at a minimum, the textures were swapped for basic hull and standard armor. As it stands, the appearance of the basic hull is closer in appearance to advanced armor, with the only real difference being the rivets in the corners on advanced armor. Meanwhile, standard armor is a completely unique texture with a non-reflective quality to it. The two just seem like they were accidentally swapped upon their introduction.

Also, it would be great if the textures adapted when adjacent blocks of the same type are added. I'm thinking of a couple of mods I've used in the past in Minecraft. They added blocks that had a border design to them. When connected, the blocks merged so that border wrapped around the outside of the two blocks and was removed at the point of connection. This continued for as many blocks were added. In Starmade, this would mean that instead of seeing a grid of tiles where armor blocks were connected you would see one large plate. I hope my description wasn't too confusing...the Chisel mod for Minecraft comes to mind, if you want an example.
    Would you also want to swap the colour together with the structure of texture? I think that would be problematic.

I like your second idea a lot, but I fear that it's not realistic in the near future.

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    I am completely opposed to the idea of randomised adv hull. simply on the grounds of it would ruin the ship I am currently building, and thus I would have to start again using standard, however, standard hull is not as heavy or as strong as adv, so that ship would then be almost useless in its intended purpose.

and besides, if you want that "random" texture, build it yourself, we have three hull types for you to use, so use them. the only good example of the randomised hull texture I have seen is the slightly white/grey picture of a ship from startrek, and those are different panels that can be built by hand using the other hull types, yes at the cost of armour, but if you want a ship to look like that, chances are it would be for an aesthetic build.
    -kinda rant thing over-

if I was to suggest anything, it would be hulls in the following colours: tan, dark red, lighter/darker shade of blue(choose whichever), and a less lime shade of green.

cheers,
    -jontyfreack, a fan of dark red-

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I agree, randomized hull sounds horrible to me.

Reaction score
    I'd like to ask you all a question!

How would you like to see current hull textures improved?

(Please refrain from giving any feedback that requires new mechanics such as dynamically connected textures.)

Thanks in advance star pals.
    In my opinion all textures are good except for one thing with basic hull. I think the shade of the hull color of the basic hull should be made identical to their standard and advanced armor counterparts. I mean basic hull that is blue is very close to teal standard and grey standard almost exactly the same as dark grey hull. Annoying if you want to have those colours e.g. the dark grey color in dark grey adv/stand but want to use the less heavy variants.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    In my opinion all textures are good except for one thing with basic hull. I think the shade of the hull color of the basic hull should be made identical to their standard and advanced armor counterparts. I mean basic hull that is blue is very close to teal standard and grey standard almost exactly the same as dark grey hull. Annoying if you want to have those colours e.g. the dark grey color in dark grey adv/stand but want to use the less heavy variants.
    I kind of like how the basic hull is a lighter shade. It does a good job of showing how the lighter armor is a lighter strength.

I'd like it further expanded, with the advanced tier of armor being slightly darker than standard. It'd be a good way to give people dark red and green armor, too.

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    if anything gives me the option of dark red im all for it

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    lol. Sorry i wasn't very clear. Could you show ME the star in the galaxy map? Then i will find a similar star colour and size and check if the same thing happens to me. :D

Another screenshot of this star in the galaxy map would be helpful if you have the time.

Sorry for the late:

It's the star Caraugus and not the system selected. Thanks :)

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Sorry for the late:
    -snip-
    It's the star Caraugus and not the system selected. Thanks :)
    Awesome. I did think it was that type of star, thanks for the confirmation. I think i've found a way to improve it a little but there is a hard coded value that needs changing outside of the shader to make that specific star colour more visible. I'll see if i can get a temporary fix in that test shader.

Reactions: kiddan
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I think you've managed to squash every single complaint I have had with the textures since joining Schine. I have no suggestions to give at this moment.

Reactions: Valck

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I think you've managed to squash every single complaint I have had with the textures since joining Schine. I have no suggestions to give at this moment.
    I'll have to wait until the new pack then :D

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Btw, JD and JI animations are slightly out of sync, they don't meet in the middle at the same time...

Please don't fix this in the new pack, its so handy for making cool things with slabs :P

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Do you have any idea if it's possible to fix this strange new lighting quirk with a shader mod? <3

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Do you have any idea if it's possible to fix this strange new lighting quirk with a shader mod? <3
    Not sure.. it might be possible to alleviate the issue by adjusting the brightness of either the vertex or pixel lighting so the transition from one to the other is less apparent. But i've not fully checked it out yet. I'll have a poke and chat with schema about it.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I thought of something. Will crystals in the new pack self have an emissive map? Currently if you have them sort of covered they will still emit light but the texture itself will still be dark.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I thought of something. Will crystals in the new pack self have an emissive map? Currently if you have them sort of covered they will still emit light but the texture itself will still be dark.
    Don't the current ones have emissives? I was sure this was a thing already... (should of been).

Consider it planned.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Don't the current ones have emissives? I was sure this was a thing already... (should of been).

Consider it planned.
    Just tested, they do have emmisives