Kill Logic pipes

Do you hate the current logic pipes?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Like really, just drag them out back and put a bullet between their eyes.

At first you think they are useful, then they get in the way, after that they start making it hard to see what you are trying to make. Finally they start lagging your fps down. (in order of how much logic you use)

I suggest that they be removed entirely.
    Not a build mode only thing (they would still cause issues and make it hard to work).
    Not a settings option since people should not be able to build mode spy to find logic connections.

Instead of universal, obtrusive, and un-informative logic pipes. it should to be replaced with a build mode option that functions on a single selected block.

With this option toggled on, it will draw one color of pipe to all blocks slaved to the selected block, and another color pipe to blocks that are a master to the selected block.
    This should not only function with logic, it should work for all blocks that can be slaved / have masters.

With the option off, we still have the yellow and pink/purple outlines we all know and trust, and with it on we get a nice quick look at what is connected and where with no clutter and a hell of a lot less fps lag.

(Also yes, I know stuff like this has been suggest many times, I don't care, logic pipes need to die sooner rather than later)

Reactions: psteiner

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    You don't want to know what the inside of my public auto factory looks like. XD

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I say, make logic pipes less counterintuitive (the yellow thing goes the wrong way!) and maybe give them meaningful colors on each end... Right now they are unhelpful, but they are also the only non-block, non-sprite thing we can use in building.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I say, make logic pipes less counterintuitive (the yellow thing goes the wrong way!) and maybe give them meaningful colors on each end... Right now they are unhelpful, but they are also the only non-block, non-sprite thing we can use in building.
    This is something that actually came up the last time I talked about this, and I will say again I think it is the worst reason of all to keep them around.

If the need/want is that high to keep them around as decoration (a decoration type I am not opposed to) then just make it an actual decorative item, and not piggy backed on logic/factories.
    I am 100% against any notion to keep them as they are because they can be used to make pretty things. As a decorative effect it is nice, it should even be able to be colored, but having that decoration stay tied to an actual utility is absurd.

Reactions: SilverAgeFan
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I just built this circuit today in a way that I could see exactly what was connected to what at a single glace, this was quite important for the construction of the the thing. If it was just a bunch of scatter logic blocks, it would make no sense, if I could only see the pipes on a selected block it would be harder to understand.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah, that too. They can get ugly in integrated logic, but in organized logic it makes it a lot easier to quickly keep track of different systems and where they link to one another. If there were no logic pipes I could never make any sense of any larger logic systems, personally, even with a "show linked block pipes" option.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I can kind of understand laying out a circuit logically to observe the connections, but this strikes me as a one-off function, not the common usage. Normally, I build relatively small ships, and have to put the logic where I can. (versus dedicated logic rooms) I will make a test circuit on a test platform floating in space and make it perform as needed. Then I will replicate the circuit on the ship, having to carefully place blocks out of the way, so that the pipes don't cross visible walls without looking like they are meant to be there. The platform test circuit shows me how it works, not the live circuit on the ship. Pipes are just a hassle to me outside of build mode, especially when I have multiple logic connections running along the same path. When the pipes overlap, like when you are tracing multiple logic paths together through a narrow corridor to keep them out of the way, they only help a little.

Reaction score
    I get why you wouldn't want 'em. What if you're making a logic circuit, when pipes go straight through the ship's astronauts' interior!??!

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    +1
    Build mode option to view connections - YES
    Decorative blocks to cast beams with shiny colors - YES
    Pipes between blocks in solid mode - NO

Reactions: Aynslei
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I think that they need A TON of organization. It is very hard to understand without proper slave pipe colors and NEED to be an option. (You could just get a label to display on the hud if it were a ship/station.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I just built this circuit today in a way that I could see exactly what was connected to what at a single glace, this was quite important for the construction of the the thing. If it was just a bunch of scatter logic blocks, it would make no sense, if I could only see the pipes on a selected block it would be harder to understand.
    What I wish to know is the purpose of that circuit. (Sorry, if I sound snarky/cynical, can't think of any better ways to put it. :P)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    What I wish to know is the purpose of that circuit. (Sorry, if I sound snarky/cynical, can't think of any better ways to put it. :p)
    That's the circuit for my standard airlock design, it fits in a 9x5x5 space and none of the pipes are visible in the final product. The only thing you can see that you are not supposed to are the two activators next to the docking blocks as that's the only way to check when docked or if something is docked to me.

Reactions: Blaza612
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    i think it may stay. i love the pipes. mayby how they say here before, a little upgrade wiev of these pipes, but you can do with it a nice efect how it is already posting here. i think that nice idea will be, if wireless logic will work on the same entity, so if you will connect 2 wireless logic block on the same entity it will don't show the pipe. i think, that will be a nice compromise...
    Here is one screen when i hit F8 in looking at CRS Jana. :P

i like the pipe... why to remove it.

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer