Kill Logic pipes

Do you hate the current logic pipes?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    To all the people who suggest running cables, is it fair that I need to add yet another(possibly multiple) block that gives me no benefit but to remove visual clutter? Something that will make it that harder to keep passive effects on?

I should not be forced add more blocks because we lack an option to turn logic pipes off.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    To all the people who suggest running cables, is it fair that I need to add yet another(possibly multiple) block that gives me no benefit but to remove visual clutter? Something that will make it that harder to keep passive effects on?

I should not be forced add more blocks because we lack an option to turn logic pipes off.
    If you are that worried about keeping your effect systems running on your ship why are you using logic in the first place? They offer no combat benefits unless used as logic heat seekers. Also the fact that logic blocks weigh less than other blocks adding them to your ship in place of hull or shields will actually make it easier to maintain effects not harder, unless you replace the effect modules yourself which is more user error.

Routing wires through floors, walls, ceilings and even designated maintenance areas is an already possible, perfectly acceptable method of hiding wires.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If you are that worried about keeping your effect systems running on your ship why are you using logic in the first place? They offer no combat benefits unless used as logic heat seekers. Also the fact that logic blocks weigh less than other blocks adding them to your ship in place of hull or shields will actually make it easier to maintain effects not harder, unless you replace the effect modules yourself which is more user error.

Routing wires through floors, walls, ceilings and even designated maintenance areas is an already possible, perfectly acceptable method of hiding wires.
    There are still quite a few effects that are based on block count not mass, as well as a few more block on the inside, often means more space needed in the hull armor. I do not build doomcubes, doombricks, or a "combat ship" with a armored core room and nothing but systems and weapons.
    I accept that making a ship look good inside and outside will mean having "combat useless" blocks. That does not mean I should waste even more block space on something that is always shown with no options of control.

Having "routing wires" being a common thing is alone enough to prove why its not "acceptable". These are actions people have gotten so accustomed to they think they are fine, when all it takes is an option we should already have to fix it all.

Logic pipes in large numbers cause huge FPS loss, even when none of them are "shown", sections of some of my large logic system bring me down from 120 fps to 3-7.

Your latest points have really had no effect on convincing me against how I feel about them.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    There are still quite a few effects that are based on block count not mass, as well as a few more block on the inside, often means more space needed in the hull armor. I do not build doomcubes, doombricks, or a "combat ship" with a armored core room and nothing but systems and weapons.
    I accept that making a ship look good inside and outside will mean having "combat useless" blocks. That does not mean I should waste even more block space on something that is always shown with no options of control.

Having "routing wires" being a common thing is alone enough to prove why its not "acceptable". These are actions people have gotten so accustomed to they think they are fine, when all it takes is an option we should already have to fix it all.

Logic pipes in large numbers cause huge FPS loss, even when none of them are "shown", sections of some of my large logic system bring me down from 120 fps to 3-7.

Your latest points have really had no effect on convincing me against how I feel about them.
    As far as I am aware every single effect/cloak/radar jam/thruster/jump drive/scanner is based on mass not volume.

I am really curious how big your logic systems are that the pipes alone can bring your computer to a crawl?

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Once again, everyone completely forgets smaller ships. I'd say I'm shocked but I'm really not. I feel like I'm one of the only people left that still dislikes gigantism.

I approve of almost every anti-logic post in this thread. Modify them to appear in build mode only by default, and in astronaut mode by launcher setting. They are incredibly obtrusive, and outside of aesthetics (which has already been touched on; make dedicated projectors for that, and make the pipes prettier for god's sake!) they serve only to intrude. Just last week I was wiring logic powered lifts in a tight spot of an already small ship, and so as not to have ugly pipes running across hallways or through bunks I had to compromise wall and floor space. It looks gross.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I honestly don't see why it cant be a clientside setting. If people don't want to see them, I don't see why not.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I honestly don't see why it cant be a clientside setting. If people don't want to see them, I don't see why not.
    I would support a per ship based setting, this at least solves some issues for if it does become an issue you can turn off the pipes and it does apply to everybody viewing the ship and not just you. It would be weird to be on an MP server and see a ship with pipes everywhere while the pilot does not because they turned off the pipes client side. This goes for the opposite of people not seeing pipes when they are intended to be there.

I think making wireless blocks on the same entity actually be wireless would go a long way to alleviate problems as well. Sometimes even if you are good at hiding the pipes there is just that one odd pipe out that sticks through.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    ok i am again seeing several different aspects combined in one thread...
    - I agree they deserve a redesign
    - also as the op stated it should also be easier to find the master of a any block in a build. (which i would consider a different issue but yes i agree)
    - as sven stated removing them entirely without "sufficient" replacement (just the selected block i would not consider sufficient) is definitely not a good idea for they are helpful when it comes to logics.
    - what i persoanlly hate is that to hide them i have to place tons of - i call them "Waypoint ANDs" just to keep them hiding inside the structure which is really annoying
    - so Yes i think persoanlly i'd like to only have them visible when in buildmode of the structure and pointing towards the wireless recipient on other structures.
    - But i am aware that people like to use them as artisticelement in their builds. i don't want to see that feature die even though i do not really like using them. so please if they are getting abandoned to not show up except of buildmode and i really hope something like that is going to come. i would love to see a different mechanic to draw these lines for our artists. Thank you schine for listening i love you.

so i go with "No, but they need work."

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    It's not that hard to run cable buses in floors and walls, just like you would have to do when wiring a real ship.
    For large ships, it isn't hard to plot out cable runs. For small ships, you don't always have the luxury of a square-meter conduit between your logic systems. Routing wires with ANDs is a hack around it, but still takes up additional space I may not have.

Real machines have wires inside of panels and walls because the electrical and logic systems are an order of magnitude smaller than them. In Starmade we are still in the days of the ENIAC, unfortunately.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    In Starmade we are still in the days of the ENIAC, unfortunately.
    We have starships that can bend space and time to our will, but it still takes a warehouse to hold so much as a calculator...

Reactions: Parameter