kickstarter?

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    We have a system in place that works. Look at all the updates. We do not need more eyes on the code. The schine team is compartmentalized for good reasons. As a mod I'm just an extra in a movie with a single scene walkon part. Schema, calbiri, audentio etc are the talent. On any set there's an unspoken rule:
    Don't talk to the talent. Just don't. Schine members are the tallent. So: The same applies here. Omni and kupu collaborate, cal and the scheems collaborate. Duke and audentio keep in contact. And so on. I and other mods have 0 reasons to be bugging any of them. The more specialized the fewer. The fewer the better. And the mod team hangs around and points at signs. We have enough people and if the great grey one needs some R&R we just see fewer updates for that month. No pressure. No crowd-funded masses demanding their stretch goals. The rest of the team can crank along until the nap quota is met and the meow mix bowl is refilled.

This game is not about the money. It's about schema sharing with the world the game he always wanted to play.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Top 4ce
    Reaction score
    Warsong has been saying the thing the whole time guys.

While your (hopefully innocent) desire for schema to have more money is good, a kickstarter is not the correct option.
    As warsong said, People would come in and use their cash to basically take over the entire production.
    Imagine if mojang saw this making money on kickstarter and came in and said, GIMME YOUR GAME BRAH $$$$$$$$.
    We would lose the game forever, and it would be terrible because mojang would apply all the "big popular block game) formula to it and make it bad, but also make it sell.
    What we NEED to do is wait until the game has AT LEAST fully functional boarding, (in a few months or so) then beg a youtuber to make a video.
    BAM money problems solved.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    @Megacrafter127
    I looked at the Euro to GBP converter, one 1500 Euro note will net you a solid gaming PC here 0_o Mind you, in Zimbabwe you can be a millionaire and still be slum poor.
    1500€?
    NoSuchNoteException: do you refer to the 500€?
    Imagine if mojang saw this making money on kickstarter and came in and said, GIMME YOUR GAME BRAH $$$$$$$$
    I doubt Schine™ is an incorporation, and as such it cannot be bought without the owner(s) agreeing to it. So unless schema suddenly becomes greedy and looses his passion in SM, it won't happen. Or if he does, SM isn't going anywhere either way.
    I am more concerened about the community becoming too big for a game in alpha.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    The game and the community are in alpha. I mean that. We are the alpha user base. The first, the most experienced and the least likely to enjoy big splashy changes. The game has done from a "shoot your way to the core" PoC to a full blown Multiplayer Sandbox. The aim is to create a stable MASSIVE online multiplay sandbox so epic space battles become a thing. By the time a beta user base rolls in they'll have us old school alphas to help them out and they'll teach us a thing or too as well. Then we go full release. That's when the meta flows. We dun need no crowd funds baby. We gots da METAHZ.

Reactions: Top 4ce
    Reaction score
    Aren't we still "shoot your way to the core" but advanced, like
    "shoot your way to the core, but with more ways to do it" ?

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    The new HP based system WILL change that. I think we need to see a weapons system balance before we start tweaking the default block HP and ship HP calculations. Basically when enough blocks have gone missing the core will begin to overheat killing anyone interacting with the core. At that point your only hope is that there was more than one person on the ship and that they have more hull plates they can install and bring the ship back online. If there are functional automated defenses on the ship you have a better chance of making repairs and t-minus-ing the f*ck out of dodge. Which is highly recommended.

Reaction score
    Look, just add chairs and I'll donate a million quid, alright?

@WarSong I did not know there was a HP system coming in, this sounds to me like it will solve a lot of problems, but it might piss people off a lot too. Will there be an option to turn it on/off?

Also, I read
    That's when the meta flows. We dun need no crowd funds baby. We gots da METAHZ.
    In Tiny Tina's voice.

Reaction score
    Add small blocks and 16-bit coloring and I'll list schema in my speech once I get my Nobel's prize.
    If I get one.

Actually 8-bit could be good too.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Add small blocks and 16-bit coloring and I'll list schema in my speech once I get my Nobel's prize.
    If I get one.

Actually 8-bit could be good too.
    WTH? The 8 bit from this link isn't a 8-bit. It is a 24-bit!

Real 8-bit has only 2 bits for red, 2 for green, 2 for blue + 2 for alpha, added to either red/green/blue or used for indexed colors :p

Reaction score
    WTH? The 8 bit from this link isn't a 8-bit. It is a 24-bit!

Real 8-bit has only 2 bits for red, 2 for green, 2 for blue + 2 for alpha, added to either red/green/blue or used for indexed colors :p
    But isn't 24-bit supposed to have more colors than 16-bit?
    Eh, I don't care so much, all I want is coloring. and small blocks.
    I mean, come on, you give us so many color options for chat, why not a give us the same thing with hulls, but with more colors?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Because for each block are transferred 3 byte to the graphic memory. The graphic memory is smaller than your main memory.

not even 8-bit colors fit into these 3 bytes.
    You have 10 bits for block-type and hull color makes a new block type for each color. This limits us to 1024 block types divided by avg colours per block.

BTW: 16 bit per color = 48 bit. likely with +16 bit = 64 bit cause of the alpha channel.

Has Schema or somebody else from staff team considered to make different paying-levels?
    Different countries have different income and if users get only the language packs for their selected country.

It will hardly be directly abuse-able without illegally (against terms of use) redistributing a lang pack
    It could easily be made for a specific user per search&replace search+destination pairs of integers to avoid peoples buying "automated update with Chinese" though they are English peoples to get same cheaper.

Last edited:

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    I doubt there's going to be a paywall for anything BUT the core game. If you are buying language packs then you're getting shafted. MY advice would be to video tape yourself paying for the language packs and then posting that on the internet and hope you make some of the money back with ad-revenue.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Agreed. Making customers pay more will just ruin the whole game. What I think should be done is that when the game is feature complete with all the npc texts, other texts, and yet more text, the schine team could ask if there were people willing to translate for them.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Dude. The sandbox nature of the game is not just for CLIENTS. It's for SERVERS too. In other words the CORE GAME will have little to translate unless you get some officially unofficial SM-Lore pack. The translations for which are likely going to be community made and mos def not allowed to hide behind paywalls as per EULA. Now if a server makes its own lore, story, mission, or quest packs then it's up to them and their community to support language packs. Those could end up behind a paywall but that money would not go back to schine. It would go to the server providing the pack.

Imagine what it would be like if every WoW private server had it's own internal story mode and didn't require a vanilla client to download jack-squat to get started. Only once you got to certain points you'd need to download some dialog, a skin maybe. But since all ships and entities are made of FRIGGIN BLOCKS there's no need to download huge assets like landscapes and buildings or character models. Just a data thin-mint worth of texture and text. You could have a massive FPS arena, a fighter combat space and a huge freaking grav-race track all within sectors of one another. Two people could be logged into the same server AND PLAY TWO DIFFERENT GAMES.

Compare that to your language pack model and the concept suddenly seems a bit myopic.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Goodness Warsong, that's actually the best post you've ever made. A+ see me after class for (s)extra credit

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    :(
    That wasn't really nice. But my post was a bit too stupid, so I don't blame you.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    its a complicated subject so its easy to say things that seem stupid. its ok *smoochs

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    When posting I thought initially about that StarMade offers a donation form with a fixed amount of money.

This money may be 1 hour of work in Germany or America, but earned in 10 hours in China.

I think if everybody in a big community would pay just 10ct or 1€ or 1$, it accumulated would be very much, but for 1€ or 1$ who takes the effort to donate as long as ALL features (even those which are not needed to play) are free?

The ones who donate by their own decision are likely donating a more than that.

That was my intention.

But it seems that my idea wasn't suggesting to do it on the right feature (if one exists where this is a good suggestion).

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    @FunnyBunny14 If you've ever seen one of my streams you would know I can be very not nice when pushed. I'm sure Comr4de could tell you some fun stories about my streams. He'd likely get a visit from a CPS social worker depending on your age and his level of detail. All my streams have a mature content warning on them for the same reason.

@NeonSturm I'm glad you explained it better. It's something I can bring up and if enough mod-chatter about it happens the ghost cats high upon mt schine might hear our pleas and either laugh really hard or take pity THEN laugh really hard. After that someone might consider the idea between giggle fits. Who knows. It might become a thing.

@Comr4de Do not want.