kickstarter?

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    i was thinking,this game needs more money
    more money=more features in the future
    money=food :p

so why not.. when the new starmade trailer is done,go on kickstarter to get some money,and when i see some games on kickstarter that look like they were made by 5yrs old get 100k and more on kickstarter i barffff,so i think... when they see that new trailer(which i believe will be amazingggg) and with a good presentation,i think this game can get at least 300k,or even more..

game is still early alpha,its legit,its all legal
    why not?
    you will get money,and promote the game at the same time,with no effort.. :)

i dont know what Schema is planning,but this is my honest opinion

looks at these games,nothing special.. but people pledged soooo much money for them,crazy for this kind of games,like people are crazy,but that is good,starmade could earn 1,000,000!!!!!
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1798022489/aegis-defenders?ref=category

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-miniatures-half-orc-adventurers?ref=category

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...liver-goods-along-the-mediterran?ref=category

Last edited:
    Reactions: flpsantoss

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Calbiri has said a few times that it is quite a proud point for Schema and the team that they have never had to ask for money, and that they have never had to use something like kickstarter.

However, using http://www.patreon.com/ i would support, set it so that they get a small donation for every update that gets pushed

Reactions: FlyingDebris
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    Calbiri has said a few times that it is quite a proud point for Schema and the team that they have never had to ask for money, and that they have never had to use something like kickstarter.

However, using http://www.patreon.com/ i would support, set it so that they get a small donation for every update that gets pushed
    i dont get why would that be a bad thing,asking for money on kickstarter,but im ok if they are ok with it
    and if they do go to patreon,hell ..i will soon start working, as im pretty much done with school,i would be donating like crazy

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I entirely respect that they don't want to ask for/raise money for the game, i can see how that is something to be proud of. However, if they did do a kickstarter or something similar, i'd happily throw money at them.
    If there was a way to simply donate to the development (i figure thats what patreon is for right?) i'd go for that. I'd really like a way to donate that isn't buying the game multiple time, which i would do but that would artificially inflate sales numbers. I've spend way more time on starmade than any of the £60+ games i've bought, so i really think schine deserve more than $6.00 from me!

Reactions: JimmyJamba
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    We do have a donate page, it is on the home page of star-made.org http://star-made.org/donate
    Ah ok, think i've been on that page once i think, allways go direct to starmadedock.net. Plus, i'd allways assumed if there was a way to donate it would be a button next to buy at the top here. You might want to think of a way to make that more visable, who knows how many other members are like me and would have donated if they knew that existed.
    Well, there goes my contribution, don't let schema spend it all on sweets! :D

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    If i am not mistaken, this was one off the questions done in that huge QA some time ago, sure lots of things happen in the middle but i still think that the best way now would invest in the players buying the game, it dosen't need kickstarter for that, as Duke post you can always donate.

Schema is crazy, in the good way, but i think he have his reasons for not make one promotion campaign for Starmade.

Reaction score
    Being proud of not having to ask for money is cool, but throwing your game out there to the public on a kickstarter - even if it's just on a whim is cooler. Getting more money put into the development of Starmade is an excellent idea, not only that but a kickstarter would generate a lot more publicity and bring in even more players to the community.

I don't know about you guys but I only found Starmade by pure chance on a random night of googling stuff to do, this game has no advertising, no internet presence, it's hidden away in some obscure corner of a search engine that people find by chance. I honestly think a kickstarter would do absolute wonders for this game, sometimes you have to swallow pride for the greater good!

Not saying schema and the others aren't doing an amazing job as it is, in fact the game has gotten infinitely better in just the few months I've been around - but from what I've heard about the timeline and the fact it's still classed as an alpha build, I can't see it getting a release candidate and turned into a complete game for at least a good few years - and by that point the platform may already be overused and uninteresting.

The game is great and becoming greater as it is, but hey, why turn your nose up at free resources, advertising and a potentially life-changing opportunity?

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    Much like Star Citizen; StarMade not having a Kickstarter or other external funding essentially cuts out the middleman.

Basically this breaks this game down to two parties: The Developers, and us, the players.

No complicated deadlines. No package deals needing fulfilled. No empty promises. No perpetual beta. No thousand dollar donations to get your "super duper sekret addon alien" into the game or a 3D printed model of your ship.

TL;DR It allows the game to flourish without the big boys stepping in strong arming development with huge sums of cash. Which is honestly, how a great game truly should be.

Reaction score
    I like and respect you a lot Tenk - you do a lot for this community, but I'm afraid my personal opinion - fwiw - I have to side with Dalmont. It's better to have your little pond - and keep the small school of fish together - than to have an ocean with sharks eating the fish. There is something for everyone in Starmade for this "small" and growning community - open up Pandora's box and it could loose focus and morph into something that no one wants.

Reaction score
    Also, on the subject of kickstarter, I saw this.
    That is quite hilarious.
    If someone wanting to make a potato salad can earn $55,000, then I don't see why the dev team shouldn't at least take it into consideration. I only hope to see this game achieve its full potential.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    That is quite hilarious.
    If someone wanting to make a potato salad can earn $55,000, then I don't see why the dev team shouldn't at least take it into consideration. I only hope to see this game achieve its full potential.
    I almost want to start something stupid like that and see how much money I can get :P

Reaction score
    Much like Star Citizen; StarMade not having a Kickstarter or other external funding essentially cuts out the middleman.

Basically this breaks this game down to two parties: The Developers, and us, the players.

No complicated deadlines. No package deals needing fulfilled. No empty promises. No perpetual beta. No thousand dollar donations to get your "super duper sekret addon alien" into the game or a 3D printed model of your ship.

TL;DR It allows the game to flourish without the big boys stepping in strong arming development with huge sums of cash. Which is honestly, how a great game truly should be.
    I agree with all that you have posted, but a kickstarter does not necessarily require a development schedule with deadlines to meet, or in-game incentives given to players who donate "x" amount of currency. I would gladly participate in a kickstarter just to show my support for the game and eagerness for it to succeed.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    The ol' donate button does get its uses and people register for copies of the game all the time. I think a lot of the schine team is pretty proud of how we've progressed without some sort of crowd funding. The game is making it on it's own merits. Even with the bugs inheirent to an alpha.

Even if there are no set goals or deadlines in the funding campaign there are expectations and pressure no one really needs or wants. Not here especially. Wanna contribute? Be active, be helpful and behave. If you must do more than register a copy to feel like you are helping then you can test things out and discuss them. You might get picked up as an official tester. If that's not your speed then help folks out here or on chat. You might get picked up as a moderator. And if you can't do either then just be someone others would actually enjoy having a conversation with. You'll be a welcome part of the community. If you are already doing one or all of those things and you STILL feel the need to do more then there's streaming, youtubing, tutorial writing, console scripts, skins, textures, fanart, preparing for the LUA scripting for AI and many other things you can do. Beyond that, there's the ol donate button. Buy teh schemms a cuppa joe and a brewski. He'll appreciate it and all his warm fuzzy feelings for the community will flow into the game through his code and out the other end will come n*pple rainbow beams, giant cuttlefish ships and the end of the era where your nightstand might blow up your nucklea wessels.

@Omni NUCLEAR WEASELS.
    -Melt snow
    -Melt your heart
    -Can ruin your face if cuddled too often.

There's something we'll lose if we go to crowd sourcing. I just feel like the game won't belong to Robin who shares it with the community. Rather it will become a product everyone already owns and wants on their shelf now for bragging rights and hipster cred.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Also, on the subject of kickstarter, I saw this.
    What the actual fuck.

A kickstarter would get money for the game, but more importantly, more people would actually know this game exists and is not the same game that was shown once on a popular youtube channel a year ago. People would actually start coming back, and the thing this game needs is a community.
    A community drives a game, and a large community is always good IMO.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    well,when you guys put it that way,i kinda understand now :P thank you all for great explanations