Keep controls relative to Core, not camera

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    When cycling through cameras, I would prefer it if my ships controls were not affected by the camera I happen to be looking through. In other words, I would like 'W' to always propel the ship in the direction the core is facing, regardless of what direction I happen to be looking in.

The way that the controls remap themselves to try and stay relative to my camera is nice in theory, but practice I am finding this surprisingly unintuitive (note: I am a new player, your experience may vary).

From what I understand, this dynamic remapping is also part of why mouse-steering stops working when looking through non-forward cameras... So hopefully we can kill two birds with one stone here?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'd say the opposite is true. I've had free cam facing in a direction that it looked like a camera, and I get very confused when I press forward and the ship moves in a different direction.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1436238184,1436238143][/DOUBLEPOST]
    From what I understand, this dynamic remapping is also part of why mouse-steering stops working when looking through non-forward cameras... So hopefully we can kill two birds with one stone here?
    but yes, mouse steering should get fixed with different viewing angles.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yeah, I have to agree with not affecting ship controls. I've been thinking of ways to dock large ships to space stations. Using a camera right next to the rail docker would make docking easier, but the movement controls should remain relative to the core. I can see mouse movement being locked and just thrusters when the camera is not front or rear facing.