Just a Few Questions

Reaction score
    So just a few question...and maybe some more if I suddenly remember.

1)Are turrets on docked entities still active, or must they be directly attached to the mothership?

2)What's the longest chain-docking possible?

3)Is there a method to undock an entity using logic from within the mothership?

4)Independent turret barrels possible?

Asides from the second question, the others are due to the fact that I don't exactly have anything to test the AI on...

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    1. Yeeep. They still work.

2. We haven't figured this out yet. We'll keep adding pieces to our various over-complicated doors and mechs and tell you when we hit a limit.

3. Yes. Look up Bench's logic rail tutorials on Youtube, they give a pretty dang comprehensive look at rails and turrets.

4. No, sadly. The separate AI controlling the independent barrels will fight over where to aim and neither will win.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
    A few more:

1) Does Cloaker/Jammer also affect docked entities?

2)Does the Faction Permission Module have to link to the Activation block only, or does it have to link up with the entire logic chain for someone outside the faction to use it?

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    1. Cloaking/jamming effects the entire chain. It'd be quite limited in use if it didn't. *wave at set of turrets floating by in formation*

2. Only with the button, unless you want people able to manually do things to other blocks directly. The permission modules allow interaction with anything adjacent to them. Whatever that button or activation block is attached to doesn't matter because it is the button/activation block it's linked to that tells it what to do.

Reactions: Zekester81
    Reaction score
    Another bunch(sorry TAT, they come to be slowly!)

1)Sector size in blocks?(Diameter/one axis)

2)System size in blocks?(Diameter/one axis)

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    I think the vanilla sector size is 2 kilometers, give or take some. Systems are groups of sectors in a 16x16x16 cube. Each block is a meter cubed. Hope that helps.

Reaction score
    Yup, that helps. Although knowing the size dimensions gives me a problem with a WIP build...

1)What happens to ships that are longer than a single sector?

2)What happens to the docked entities that are separated by the borders of sectors?

3)Likewise with stations, in the boundary between sectors?

Reaction score
    Well... A ship longer then a single sector..

Thats a hard one, but most likely it will not have physics applied until its core passes the sector bounds. Though I doubt building such a ship would be possible in the first place, so do not fret.

Your second question is pretty much the same as the first, but again, do not think about it as no one will ever build a ship that large and have java not implode on them.

There is no real physical "Boundary" so to say, the station would technically be in one sector, but Would advise against putting it close to a system or sector edge, as such things can be a bit disorienting to some new folk.

(P.S I am not that much of an expert on this, but I assume this is how it will work)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1446158873,1446158412][/DOUBLEPOST]Really though, do not try to go beyond 2KM, such a ship would have to be super thin ship, spindly and really horrible.

If not, then it would cause horrible lag (Yuck!)

Reaction score
    Uh.....
    That might be a problem...
    Trying to make a certain ship 1:1, would take four setors.
    It's shown as being 8km long....

Reaction score
    A ship that large would easily overflow Java and crash it, even if you were to expand the sector size.

Reaction score
    Well, technically the 8km is made up of three ships' lengths.
    The design was of eight ships, with two int he middle, and three per side, with length being roughly 8km canonically.
    So its really the length of 2.6km.....wait...that's still larger than a sector...

Reaction score
    Even a 8km long stick (For a project I was doing) was causing quite a bit of trouble, so I suggest cutting the entire ship down by a factor of 10, that way the ship is 800m long and can actually be feasible.

Though a ship made up of large components is dying to explode servers....

Reaction score
    A few more questions(How many times have I said this...?)

1)Does the docked entities affect the mothership's total mass/block count?

2)Does the jump drive affect the surroundings, or only what is docked onto the jumper?

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    A few more questions(How many times have I said this...?)

1)Does the docked entities affect the mothership's total mass/block count?

2)Does the jump drive affect the surroundings, or only what is docked onto the jumper?
    1. Yes

2. Everything that is docked to the ship or attached to the ship will jump with you when using jumpdrive. Othervise noup

EDIT* a little advice,I dont wanna crush your dreams,but dont even try building something larger that 1,5 km.. 2 km is the limit I set for myself ,and I am known for building super titans.
    Trust me.. you will finish 30% of the main shell/hull only,and the game will be unplayable.. that is without any systems and interior,only shell,you would need a xiang supercomputer to run that

that is if you dont burn out from even trying to build something like that hahaha

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    1. Yes

2. Everything that is docked to the ship or attached to the ship will jump with you when using jumpdrive. Othervise noup

EDIT* a little advice,I dont wanna crush your dreams,but dont even try building something larger that 1,5 km..

//cut\\

that is if you dont burn out from even trying to build something like that hahaha
    I can attest to this. My ship's only going to be about 500m long and I'm on day 5 and have less than a quarter finished. So much time goes into logic, symmetric design, internal/external corridors and access. Unless you build a massive ship using axis-mirrors and have one hallway going in and out of your control room you'll be sinking many, many hours into your ship

Reaction score
    Ah...I was only planning to do two large scale ships.....
    One was that 8km long replica, the other was going to be a massive carrier that...well...is basically a shell. Like a mobile base for all my other ships XD

Don't think I have any other questions(for now), so thanks!

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    lol my computer complains about anything over 500k mass never a specific length, width, or height. XD

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Hope you don't mind if I ask a question too, it seemed like a good place. Saving a blueprint saves everything docked to it in my experience so far. But that was only by saving the base entity. Say I want a blueprint of part of something, can I save from just the part I want and not also save the parts between it and the base object without having to undock that part? I ask rather than try it on what I want because the object that it is attached to is about 10mil blocks right now, and it's a pain when I make a blueprint of it sometimes so I do that only when a major change or upgrade has been added.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    When you save it only saves the entity you are in and anything docked to it. So if you save in the turret base you'll save the barrel if it has one but not the station or ship it is docked to, or if you save the barrel it won't save the base or anything the barrel it docked to.