Jumping from 60+ FPs to less than 5 when loading a planet is extremly annoying

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Now i manage to fix my sound bug, there is still one huge technical problem i have with Starmade.

The game runs nicely and when in space i get 60+ FPS. However, whenever i fly next to a planet, the framerate drops to less than 5 for several looong seconds.

If i land quickly on the planet, it becomes better.
    If i stay away, i can see the "lava heart" moving, and the "shell" never seems to load properly.

I've tried to set everything to low settings, i've manually changed the config.file, low texture, rendering distance, rotating planets, etc, no effect.

Is it going to be better soon ? Not so soon ? Not on the todo list ?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Win7 64 bits

Pentium G3420 @3,20 GHz
    8 Go RAM
    AMD Radeon R7 200 serie

Screen is 1980x1080

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    Win7 64 bits

Pentium G3420 @3,20 GHz
    8 Go RAM
    AMD Radeon R7 200 serie

Screen is 1980x1080
    hmm,i dont know,that is not quite enough for 1080p
    try to lover it to 900p ...1600x900 you should see a big spike in fps
    or even 720p.. 1280x720 is good enough ,i use that res,and i have 250fps with medium settings and even worse PC specs

Reaction score
    That's odd... I'm running:

Windows 7 64-bit
    Core i7-930 @2.8GHz (this is from 2010!)
    6GB RAM
    Radeon HD 7850 (2GB) (2012)

And I have no issues with lag like that. I run it at 1920x1200 fullscreen windowed (setting in the config file). It takes a while to load in planets, but I have no trouble controlling the ship. I do have an SSD installed and am running on that currently.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Tester
    Dol Orh'Ant ... are you running the game in SP? have you seen the same issues in Multiplayer? Make sure Shadows and AA is off. Also try to toggle Occlusion Culling to see if it makes a difference. Are you using bigger Planets (Planet size is the R rating ina PLantes name) ?

Reaction score
    Many Players on out server have similar difficulties.

The majority of them seem to have this issue since the latest release. Planet Cores cause massive FPS drops, Planets ignore the max segments option and will always load all blocks on the Planet which also causes massive fps drops on weaker computers.

Overall the Game became next to unplayable for most of our players because they HAVE to go to planets to achieve anything usefull.

Options have been set to the bare minimum, Occlusion Culling aint helping at all.

It would be best if there was a way to disable the planet cores visuals or even revert back to the old Disk-Planets :/

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I have to say I have experienced the same a long with a friend of mine and I am running a GTX 660 Ti which can play almost everything at 1080p and ultra settings. StarMade planets seem to murder my card down to 30 from 400+ fps in open space.

This is getting kinda silly, ice planets seem to be particularly bad, I am assuming it is due to the extreme number of blocks being rendered.

I do not wish to see the cookie planets reappear, they were always offensive to my eyes. :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Many Players on out server have similar difficulties.

The majority of them seem to have this issue since the latest release. Planet Cores cause massive FPS drops, Planets ignore the max segments option and will always load all blocks on the Planet which also causes massive fps drops on weaker computers.

Overall the Game became next to unplayable for most of our players because they HAVE to go to planets to achieve anything usefull.

Options have been set to the bare minimum, Occlusion Culling aint helping at all.

It would be best if there was a way to disable the planet cores visuals or even revert back to the old Disk-Planets :/
    There were indeed a few dev builds in which planets ignored the max segments drawn option. I don't know, nut maybe this should be looked at.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I sometimes have it too, only in singleplayer though. Seems the multi threading planet generation is causing my cpu to reach 100% usage. Which brings my FPS down to 1-5. It can last a while depending on the size of planet.

i5 3570K and a gtx 670.

Edit: Since the problem is at the CPU, lowering graphical options isn't going to help.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Oh right, editing and lowering the variable below should help against cpu spikes in singleplayer, and in multiplayer if you're hosting the server.
    CHUNK_REQUEST_THREAD_POOL_SIZE = 25 //Thead pool size for chunk requests. WARNING: too high can cause cpu spikes
    It's located in the server.cfg file, at the bottom.