Read by Schine Jump Drive as a Slave and Master System: Charge lasers, jump drive diversity, and more!

Reaction score
    My problem is that a speed boost doesn't really fit with everything else. For all the other weapons, the x/Jump Drive combo provides a boost comparable to at least some attributes of the Missile, Beam, and Pulse secondaries combined, in return for the added time and power to charge the weapon. Extra speed would be some odd combination of Beam and Cannon secondaries.
    how bout this then missile/jump gives you another "lock on missile" this one however is slightly different it moves at normal server speed for 10 seconds maybe 15 seconds and then "jumps" into the target basically simulating a missile that is fired and then has its own very short range(basically it just fires and then after 15 seconds it hit scans whatever it was locked onto and deals damage) the trade off for this however is that it has 10 or 15 seconds of vulnrability to long range cannon fire meaning that shitty 2 block cannon cannon point defense turrets are not enough anymore you also need cannon beam point defense turrets to deal with this kind of missile @ long range.

Ofcourse this could get kind of over bearing in sieges so obviously you make the max range slightly shorter than that off regular lock on missiles and of course they would be useless at short range cause a regular ship can outrun them till standard point defense takes them out.

Or maybe they don't instantly teleport maybe after you lock on you fire the missiles then they act like standard lock ons approaching their target at normal server max speed then after 10 seconds they accelerate to 12x server speed simulating a warp speeds achieving the same thing a way to bypass standard cannon cannon point defense but being vulnerable to a new kind of point defense because every weapon needs a weakness right?

I don't actually see you hand charging the missile/jump combo i see it as you lock on and then they "acquire a target" charge their jump jump/warp for 10 seconds the vulnerable period before rapidly descending at speeds that would make them incredibly hard to shoot down.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Missile + Jump Slave = Slightly faster Missile with way more HP. They are harder to shoot down with point defense systems, and travel faster as well.

Missile + Jump Slave = Dumb fire missile with teleport. They fly in a straight line at normal speed, but if they pass within 25m of an object they teleport to impact the nearest part of said object. Effectively, they are easier to aim without being a tracking missile.

Jump + Pulse Slave = Group warp. The ship emits a large pulse, and any ship that is more than 75% inside the area is pulled into the warp as well. Hurray for kidnapping! (...and also stealing asteroids)

Jump + Missile Slave = Entering warp damages nearby entities. Your ship teleports out and where you were turns into a missile explosion or damage pulse. The very definition of hit-and-run.

Reaction score
    Missile + Jump Slave = Slightly faster Missile with way more HP. They are harder to shoot down with point defense systems, and travel faster as well.

Missile + Jump Slave = Dumb fire missile with teleport. They fly in a straight line at normal speed, but if they pass within 25m of an object they teleport to impact the nearest part of said object. Effectively, they are easier to aim without being a tracking missile.

Jump + Pulse Slave = Group warp. The ship emits a large pulse, and any ship that is more than 75% inside the area is pulled into the warp as well. Hurray for kidnapping! (...and also stealing asteroids)

Jump + Missile Slave = Entering warp damages nearby entities. Your ship teleports out and where you were turns into a missile explosion or damage pulse. The very definition of hit-and-run.
    These are good ideas.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    YES. This is good. I want this.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor

I like the jump ideas but not the Missile + Jump as you can't add a weapon combo to the game that is literally a better version of one we already have without any downsides. Beam and Pulse slave do almost the same thing but there is a trade off.

I do like an idea of a jumping missile but instead of being a hit scan after a certain time perhaps it should just jump a certain range. Good pilots can fire missiles that will jump into their targets but if you miss they are slow so more likely to be hit by point defense. Of course because they are also jumping from one position to another it will make them harder for point defense and players to track. They could also jump at odd angles instead if directly forward giving them a little more evasion.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    jump drive+ pulse = Jump Bubble
    looonnnggg recharge, longer range jump, area of effect jump bubble

Creates a bubble that will take everything in it with the jumping ship. bubble diameter could be determined by the
    number of modules and the size of the jumping ship. Kinda like in Robotech/ Macross, when the SDF-1 did a space fold, it took the city with it. In this case you could take other ships or cargo containers that are not docked to your ship.

Reaction score
    The Jump bubble could have some fun consequences as well. If your ship isn't fully encompassed by the bubble part of it could be left behind.

Reactions: Xskyth

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The Jump bubble could have some fun consequences as well. If your ship isn't fully encompassed by the bubble part of it could be left behind.
    Overpowered. Who needs weapons when you can just fly up to someone with Overdrive effect, punch in a jump, and kill someone's ship, taking a bunch of blocks with you?

Reaction score
    Overpowered. Who needs weapons when you can just fly up to someone with Overdrive effect, punch in a jump, and kill someone's ship, taking a bunch of blocks with you?
    LOL, I hadn't even thought about offensive use for it. I like it, but yes a little overpowered.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Easy, it only works on faction or allied ships and maybe neutral for those who really want to haul asteroids around.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I looked though the ideas in the previous few pages and made this based on those posts and what I think should be implemented. Keep in mind that our ideas would need to be balanced, so imagine being on the receiving end of the weapon you’re proposing, if you think it unfair then it’s most likely overpowered.

Anything combined with a jump drive must be charged up before firing, except for missiles, but will slowly lose charge over time if left idle, and will lose all charge if the ship jumped entirely, due to the unique physics of jumping.

CANNON/JUMP DRIVE: charged rail-gun with a delayed firing, just as powerful as a cannon/pulse without the sudden energy cost, it does have a higher total energy cost thou.

BEAM/JUMP DRIVE: charged plasma beam with a delayed firing, just as powerful as a beam/pulse without the sudden energy cost, it does have a higher total energy cost thou.

MISSILE/JUMP DRIVE: accelerating missile, fires slow but a somewhat powerful laser guided missile (halfway between normal and pulse and will fly at whatever the recital is aiming at, even if you change weapons) that speeds up as it travels, extended range but not as far as Missile/Beam and gains more damage in doing so (due to kinetic forces).

PULSE/JUMP DRIVE: charged entropy pulse with a delayed firing, just as powerful as a pulse/pulse without the sudden energy cost, it does have a higher total energy cost thou.

JUMP DRIVE/CANNON: faster charge but more vulnerable to jump inhibitors, 100% = # jump modules - 50% vs # of jump inhibitor modules

JUMP DRIVE/BEAM: farther travel distance, but cost more energy, each 25% = one sector added to range up to 12 sectors (8 sectors +50%)

JUMP DRIVE/MISSILE: slower charge but multiple ships at once within a certain server set range (default 250m), cost and charge time increases per allied and neutral ship in range, it will reset every time the number of ships changes (I moved this here because missiles do multi shot) NOTE: your basically doing a jump charge for them but at a higher energy cost, it would be much more energy efficient if they had their own jump drive. I feel this is primary aimed at carriers (drones) and mining/salvaging ships (asteroids/wrecks).

JUMP DRIVE/PULSE: slower charge but more resilient to jump inhibitors (needed an opposite to using the jump/cannon) 100% = # jump modules + 100% vs # of jump inhibitor modules

JUMP DRIVE/JUMP DRIVE: unstable long jump up to 32 sectors distance, warning anything might happen! From arriving where you what (50%), to arriving at some random place within range (30%), to having it short out and disable your power grid (15% - reactors don’t work for awhile and compactors are emptied), or even destroy its own computer and anything near it (5% - goes off like a warhead)!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Easy, it only works on faction or allied ships and maybe neutral for those who really want to haul asteroids around.
    well that, and make it only take whole entities. i bet taking part of a ship would cause massive lag. but, it would be f***ing awesome to quarter a titan, like they used to do to people with horses :p

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    It'd be kinda funny to see what'd happen if a whole group of these jump bombs went off sending a titan 100 different directions are once. :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    In the book Mutineer's Moon, they developed weapons akin to that, like a grenade that would take a big chunk of -whatever- and blink it into subspace, leaving a vacuum behind it. I'm thinking we'd have to be careful meddling with that level of tech :)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Warp grenades sound hilarious, terrifying, brilliant, and stupid all at once. In any case, in a block game with finite resources it's generally a bad idea.

Reaction score
    Warp grenades sound hilarious, terrifying, brilliant, and stupid all at once. In any case, in a block game with finite resources it's generally a bad idea.
    Perhaps instead of warping the blocks to subspace they could warp them to an attached storage device. These could be countered with the jump inhibitors. Probably still a "little" overpowered, but it would be wicked cool.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Perhaps instead of warping the blocks to subspace they could warp them to an attached storage device. These could be countered with the jump inhibitors. Probably still a "little" overpowered, but it would be wicked cool.
    Anyone remember the days of salvage beams being the best weapon? This guy doesn't >_>

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    That's what the old missile craters reminded me of, barely any visible explosion, then -zip- massive 50 meter sphere gone. Might as well have been warp missiles.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Ok, so I'm a NOOB. I've only been playing for a few months. I'll admit my deficiencies.
    Fair enough

The reason we can't salvage none overheating ships is because they used to be the best weapon. Ignored shields, instant damage, you got the destroyed blocks. Your suggestion would be the same.