Joystick support

Pholopalus

あなたは笑う、あなたは失う
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    As someone who enjoys playing space games with a joystick I'd like to see native joystick support in the game along with the ability to throttle speed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    One million times this. My feel-o-meter is at max and overheating already.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I second this motion lol, 360 gamepad support por favor? It\'s super easy in LWJGL, shouldnt be hard to implement at all.

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    but it would be a nice little feature.

If anyone wants to go ahead and already use joystick/gamepad or whatever other pheripheral, you can use Xpadder to manually set up the controls to the buttons and axes without the need for native Starmade support.

http://www.xpadder.com/

It\'s $10 if you like supporting folks who make these great apps, or find a \'free\' version somewhere if you hate puppies an spend most of your free time vengefully pacing the room while watching all the \'other\' people outside live their happy lives... You know, your choice... no pressure...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I second this, it\'s just not right playing a space ship game like this without a joystick. I also won\'t stoop to using a button and axis mapping tool for what should be a core element of any game of this genre. Their lack of support for joysticks is the one thing keeping me from supporting the devs by buying their high quality and reasonably priced game.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I love to play PC games with a xbox 360 controller. If we could inplement this into the game I would donate $50 out of joy!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    For now though, it seems OK to me. They just need to improve some aspects of how the mouse works, or add some options that change how the mouse \"feels.\"

For instance, whether the mouse stays where you place it on your screen, or whether it stays about where it is placed on the background (the second one is what the game currently does).

The current style of the game though is not very well suited for joysticks though. Its a Freelancer-style system where your guns can aim where you point, in directions other then where your nose is pointing. Using a joystick for this sort of gaming is pretty much limited in viability to a game like Star Fox, where your shots and targets are both big enough that you do not need to have precision aiming.

As for the second part of the OP, a throttle option, this would be good. Or barring that, a button that automatically holds down throttle for you.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I\'ve already used both my joystick and xbox360 controller. They both work so much better in combat. The program I use is JoytoKey and it\'s free, and it\'s very flexible as to how you set up the keys.

http://www-en.jtksoft.net/

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I adapted a Mincraft script I had to work in most games that require holding down one of the mouse buttons and the w key. I have it set to mouse 3 and 4 but the script is easy to mess with if you\'d like different buttons.

I did not make this script, I just commented out the lines requiring Minecraft to be the focus:

#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
    SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
    SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

;;#IfWinActive, FTB Ultimate v1.1.2
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ;;
    ;; Gathering - Hold down Left Mouse Button
    ;; Toggled with Mouse button 5.
    ;;
    Xbutton1::
    If GetKeyState(\"Lbutton\")
    Send {Lbutton Up}
    else
    Send {Lbutton Down}
    return

;;
    ;; Toggle Autorun
    ;; Toggled with Mouse button 4.
    ;;
    Xbutton2::
    If GetKeyState(\"w\")
    Send {w Up}
    else
    Send {w Down}
    return

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ;;
    ;; Toggle crouch
    ;; Toggled with Ctrl-R (heh, I forgot it could do this >.>)
    ;;
    ;;#IfWinActive, Minecraft
    ^r::
    GetKeyState, state, Shift
    if state = D
    Send {LShift Up}
    else
    Send {LShift Down}
    return

;;
    ;; use /home
    ;; Toggled with Ctrl-H
    ;;

^h::
    Send t/home {enter}
    return

copy that into notepad and save it as a .ahk then go get autohotkey if you don\'t already have it, once installed you should have a right click option to run with AHK. Once this script is running the thumb/left mouse side button triggers auto fire, left click or click the side button again to stop. The right side button triggers auto run, click again or tap w to stop it.