Jay's Engineering Journal

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'll be posting various design ideas, pictures, drawings, etc.

Design epiphanies:

1. Don't worry too much about making halls fancy; if one embraces the blocky nature of the game, you can fit more stuff in, and replace geometric detail with decoration block detail.

2. Try to fit more features into the same space and try to make good use of the Y dimension. You can make some really fun surprises in places where people don't think to look. Reward explorers.

3. When building a RP ship, don't focus on ability. Someone will always have a bigger, faster, deadlier, sexier ship.

4. You probably want to stick with regular hull instead of more expensive stuff, so that the structure is economical.

5. If you start off a non-45-degree angle with a wedge, the length of the angled edge doesn't have to be as long. This is important for fitting more detail into the same space. Example: When making an angle with a length-over-height ratio of 2, the length can be 1+(h-1)*ratio, cutting off one extra block that is not really needed. For a ratio of 3, you save 2 blocks.

Public Ships done so far:
    1. Simple Aluminum Mallard. GOG.com is selling Space Quest games, so I think I will permanently shelve plans to smooth out the StarMade design. Wedges really made it better. I'll smooth it out if anybody shows themselves a Space Quest fan by requesting an improvement again. (Good feedback in the original community content upload.) The Aluminum Mallard works surprisingly well as a pirate ship!

2. "Cryogenic Depot" space station for the space station contest (specifically, the abandoned station part). It got 8 votes. Better than 1, but no where near the hundreds that the most popular station got. Fun details. The area logic didn't work the way I expected, and the clock logic didn't work smoothly. (Boo!) I think it's pretty.

3. Star-Trek inspired Theatrical. I consider Star Trek ships relatively ugly. There's something fun in working with "ugly", but while I originally thought the Theatrical would be simply the first in a long line, I will shelve that plan indefinitely, with the Theatrical being the only public release. I'll reconsider if I get requests for more, but so far, public response has been cool.

Private, non-published ships done so far:
    1. Super-simple basic ship from starting blocks. Probably got recycled into the Aluminum Mallard.

2. 300-m-long "doom cube" with a dozen or more anti-pirate turrets. Had to be abandoned in a system near a shop that was near a planet. The proximity of the planet was crashing the game. I was barely able to turn away and limp away from the planetary system to continue my adventures in that universe. The core was encased in an armored "tube". The cube was constructed around the tube. The tube was capped on both ends by glass, and the doors led into the cube area, and then there were external doors on the cube.

3. 9-m-cube "doom cube" turret with rapid-fire cannons for the above "doom cube".

4. 200-m "python" ship. No wedges. All cubes. a dozen rapid-fire anti-pirate turrets. I still have it.

5. 13x14x9 m "poison-spitter" turret for the python ship. One is currently damaged from pirates when I was pre-occupied away from the ship and should probably be recycled. They work well. Subtle wedges on the outer edges, but otherwise, these are mini-doom-cubes.

Planned ships:
    While researching ship designs for the "Theatrical", I found lots of good stuff about realistic spaceship design from the 50s and 60s. Thus began my plans for the "Clarke", named for Arthur C. Clarke.

1. "Clarke" This ship will be more closely related to the main spaceship from the movie "2001: A Space Odyssey". After I recently found out that the "Dave" avatar is named (and at least partially designed after) "Dave" from "2001", this ship design strikes me as being more in-line with what the game designers originally had in mind for the game. Basic bar-bell design, with a fat engine pod at the back, and a large habitation pod at the front, separated by the barbell handle. (A rod separating the two pod structures).
    A. Also including "radiator" fins. After some research, found out that Black was the optimum color for radiation. To avoid absorbing more heat than radiating, while near a heat source, decided to add an additional set of larger White fins on either side of a black fin, to reflect external radiation away. Will probably make the white fins out of mostly wedges, arranged in such a way as to reflect radiation from the black fins away, so that it's not just reflecting all the radiation right back to the source.
    B. The "Reactor" will be a relatively blocky cube (maybe have a single-width wedge line along each edge to round it off), with slightly larger, 7-m thick "lead radiation shields" on both the front and back of the reactor pod, to create "radiation shadow" in which the rest of the ship can be placed without getting radiation from the reactor. I will make the reactor pod with several embedded 3-D "L" power block groups for some decent power generation. I also made a simple design showing the radioactive symbol within a 21x21 space on the reactor pod itself. That should look cool if the outer part is plex doors contrasting with grey hull, and then underneath will be a single layer of glass. Underneath that will be power storage blocks. Hopefully, they would glow out of the glass, so that when the plex doors are open, the radiation symbol will glow with a sickly green light. That would be Neat! Can't wait to try it out....
    C. I will probably make the Clarke quadrilaterally symmetrical. I will avoid red/green lights and instead focus on just white light, especially on the exterior, so that the ship is no longer a "space plane", but is instead a real spaceship with very little in the way of "left" or "right". I'll also point all the artificial gravity generators to the rear of the ship, so that gravity works along the same axis as forward travel.
    D. I plan to create a magnificent rocket cone behind the rear radiation shield. I'll try to make better use of visible thruster exhaust. I'll have an empty area directly behind the thrusters, then a glass wall behind that, followed by probably a logic-controlled wall of plex door, so that the engines can be "turned off". The thin layer of thrusters in the cone will be primarily for show. There will need to be many more thruster blocks elsewhere in the ship design to give it decent mobility. (For larger ships, I am generally happy with a 0.5 thrust-to-mass ratio.)
    E. Similar to the "Theatrical", I'm designing the "Clarke" to fit in a length of 199. It makes the ship rather stubby, and the habitation pod needs to be smaller to fit within the radiation shadow. In contrast to the "Theatrical", since the "Clarke" fits better with the game's original design ideals, and doesn't directly conflict with any litigious property, I'll probably proceed with larger redesigns, as I learn more about how the "Clarke" comes together in actual block construction.
    F. I don't need so many floors, so the rear half of the barbell handle at the middle of the ship will be where the primary thruster pod goes. From a RP-perspective, maybe this could be considered fuel storage. This area will contain mostly thruster blocks, plus maybe a pair of 3-D "L" power generator groups. Plus, lines of power generators can be implemented along the inner wall of the barbell handle from one end to the other. The top of this thruster pod in the barbell will be the bottom floor of the habitable part of the spaceship.
    G. Due to the geometry of the ship, the middle of the barbell, right above the primary thruster pod within the rear half of the barbell is the best place for the ship core. Essentially, the bottom of the habitable space of the spaceship. Place it precisely in the center of the quadrilateral symmetry. And then this location front-to-back will place it almost in the exact center of the ship. The radiator fins rise out from the rear of the barbell within the radiation shadow and provide excellent protection for the ship core from all angles. Outer doors placed near the radiator fins in this area will provide relatively easy access to the core, without compromising protection.
    H. I may or may not experiment with gravity elevators in this design. Since I want my ships to be used by multiple astronauts at the same time, I really want to avoid such a kludge. Therefore, there is a symmetrical pair of stairwells/rampwells leading up (in this design, with the gravity generators pointing to the rear of the ship, "up" and "forward" are the same direction) to the habitation pod from the middle of the barbell.

2. "Leopard CV". This is a Battlemech Aerospace Dropship design. Some game players may recognize this stuff from the "Mech Commander" or "Mechwarrior" video game or tabletop franchise. This design is small enough (53m x 20m x 70m) to be built from the leftovers of my "Theatrical" build. It's already coming along nicely.
    A. The magnificent "wing" at the rear of the ship is a lot of fun, but doesn't allow for a lot of useful blocks. It's basically a thin layer of hull blocks laid out in a wing shape. With plans laid out over the original artist drawings of the ship, I think I got close. The drawing had a ridiculously wide wingspan. Shortening the wingspan just a bit allowed the design to fit neatly within its original size specification.
    B. To maximize the internal volume and reduce the need for odd "circle emulation", I kept the main body rectangular instead of cylindrical. This resolved a number of potential problems. For instance....
    C. Changing the nose cone to look more like the original "Leopard" dropship worked well. I originally put the external camera on the outside of the nosecone looked OK, but dropping it behind a black hull block looked great, and didn't compromise the forward view whatsoever.
    D. The original Leopard CV spec showed six very tiny doors and room for six aerospace fighters. No way that was going to fit in this design! For one thing, the minimum docking block is 7x7x7. So, six 7x7 doors, three on each side. There are three 7x7x7 docking areas directly behind the doors. Technically there are six. 3 in the floor, 3 in the ceiling, pointed down. Only three can be occupied, but this is the closest I could get to matching the original design spec. B for effort, at least?
    E. The ship is much smaller than the original artist renditions would suggest. They put a lot of detail that made the ship look bigger than its specs. The main body is really only 12 m tall. By the art detail, you'd think it was 50!
    F. Two logic activation blocks: one for the majority of lights, including the red/green (left/right) running lights in the tail wing, plus most of the internal lighting, for the RP purpose of "running silent". Goes well with the jammer block. The second activation block opens and closes all six hanger doors. They glow blue in the cockpit area. This is one time when I wish the activation blue glow didn't glow quite so brightly.
    G. I accidentally made the original block build 75 m long instead of 70 m. I liked the main hull section, so it called for completely rebuilding the lovely tail wing. I was disappointed that copying and pasting did not help the refit effort. Bah, the trials and tribulations of art design! Most of my screenshots are with the old over-long build. I need more screenshots of the new build before I post it in community content. Yes, this will be done well before the Clarke is even close to completion.
    H. I will probably build a refit with some basic shielding and combined weaponry. The shield-less original build is pretty accurate to the design spec weapon layout: 3 "large laser" turrets (in my design, a large laser is simply a 2-block beam weapon plus its computer.) 2 "large lasers" in the main body, each with its own computer so the pilot can shoot one then the other. 2 "PPCs" in the main body. These are 2-block beam weapons with 1-block beam slaves for added range. They also have slaved blue lights, so that the outline is blue. (Lasers by contrast are slaved to red lights, for a red-outline on the beam.) 3 linked "medium lasers" (single-block beams) in the main body, supplemented by 2 separate "pulse medium lasers" (single-block beams with single-block cannon for rapid-fire, linked with red lights).
    I. I left out the LRMs (Long Range Missile Launchers), since the Battletech universe uses ammunition for missile systems, and even a single-block missile system would probably be overwhelming against a ship without shields.
    J. The energy production in this design seems to be overly powerful for the energy draw of its systems. It can fly with permanent jamming, and with a weapon firing without losing energy storage.
    K. It has a roughly 2.5 thrust-to-mass ratio, so it should have enough get-up-and-go, and should have no problem landing on and taking off from planets. It is a dropship, after all.
    L. Right now, there is a lot of energy storage blocks to fill in space. That isn't really needed, so the shield-and-weapon refit will probably see a lot of those energy storage blocks replaced with shield storage blocks. I'll probably replace the unusable ceiling dock blocks with shield regenerators. The regeneration will be tiny. Finally, the multiple weapon systems will be combined into 2 or 3 distinct beam weapons with cannon slaves for rapid fire.
    M. The tiny stabilizer wings near the cockpit can barely be seen. Maybe I should have built them with a different color to make them stand out.... They do have red/green left/right navigation lights in them.
    N. With so little internal volume, I had to opt for all-wedge 45-degree stairwell leading up to the bridge. I normally prefer a lesser slant (22.5-degree ramp), but there's no room for that in this design.
    O. There are two sets of vertically-aimed thrusters along the bottom. This allows for better VTOL capability from a RP perspective. Strangely, I found that the red exhaust still points to the rear of the ship, even if their source blocks are turned down. Looks odd. I hope they fix the visual thrust output vector soon.

3. Since the Leopard CV is coming along so well, I want to do a "Leopard" dropship next. This design will have more internal volume, since it lacks a magnificent tail wing. The wings are just simple extensions of the base plate.
    A. I'll probably add not only baseplate wings to correspond with the original Leopard design, but I'll probably also add a second pair of wings above the engines to correspond with the "Mechwarrior Online" redesign. I'm tempted to change the upper wings to being forward-swept. I always liked forward-swept wings. Since there will be two sets of wings, a forward-swept pair won't be so ridiculous. I'm not sure how many people play "Mechwarrior Online", so I wonder if anyone will care that the upper wings are forward-swept. Since the redesign doesn't have a second pair of wings, I'll go for it, as my own design flair.
    B. The internal volume should be large enough to contain four separate docking areas of 9x13x9 each. The docking modules will each be enhanced with a vertical line group of 3 docking enhancers.
    C. That docking design will require an absolute minimum vertical size of 15 blocks. Since the fins on a Leopard are so stubby, I think this will be perfect. The width will require an absolute minimum width of the main body of 20 blocks. No problem.
    D. The nose of the Leopard will be similar to my Leopard CV nose. However, the front of the nose can be lower. The nose tip can probably be one or two meters off the floor of the ship. I'll probably stick to 2 meters, and have two sets of wedges leading up to the flat front part of the nose. Then there will be more wedges along the front, leading up to the tiny pilot slits.
    E. I plan to stick with the original small bubble turrets I made for the Leopard CV. However, the art for the Leopard's original turrets show two matching barrels on the turret behind the cockpit (and maybe slightly longer), so I may make a two-beam Leopard bubble turret specifically for the Leopard.
    F. The original Leopard design showed angled hull along the sides, narrowing at the top. For StarMade, I'll take a hint from the "Mechwarrior Online" redesign, and make the main body more boxy. That will make things much easier and will allow stuff to actually fit the design.

4. The Union dropship, also from Battletech. This is only in the preliminary outer-hull design stage. I have figured out approximately where the ship core will go at the center of the design, but I will need to work on the surrounding superstructure to both allow RP astronaut navigation around the ship, and adequate systems. By definition, the dropship will be short on weapons, have no shields at first, and no jump drives. In the literature, it has more than twice as much mass as the Leopard, and it looks like it will end up with a lot more internal volume. I have a neat design for using plex door blocks in the landing gear to approximately match the original artists' rendition of the Union with its landing pads deployed. Not quite a good fit, but I got the primary gear moved in, so that the ship is not considered by StarMade to be any wider than it should be. Angled plex door wedge (thank you Schema!) will provide a 45-degree stairwell in each landing foot, to allow planet-side astronauts to walk up into the main ship body without significant jumping skills. Similar to the Clarke, I'll design the ship so that "up and forward" are in the same direction. The battletech universe doesn't have gravity generators, so I'll leave those out unless requested. Even then, it'll only go into the shielded refit.

5. Clarke-based designs. Not even on the drawing board yet....

Battletech data on the Sarna Wiki:
    http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Leopard_CV

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Leopard

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Union

Reactions: Gasboy and Top 4ce

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Images for your viewing pleasure. These images are from POV-Ray, not StarMade. Maybe I should start a webcomic.

1. Individual frames from a test hallway animation
    generic030.png
    generic050.png
    generic070.png
    generic080.png

2. Individual frames from a concept upper hull section for my "Theatrical" build
    generic020.png
    generic040.png
    generic060.png
    generic080.png

Edit: Following is some construction notes for the Leopard CV project.
    Original artist drawing of the Leopard CV plans:

A summary view of the drawing plans, getting these drawings lined up, pointing to the other side:
    LeopardCV_DrawPlans.png

A detailed view of the side plans, with some of the original specs, adjusted slightly for StarMade.
    LeopardCV_DrawPlans_side.png
    No more pictures can be uploaded for this post. More to come next time.

Last edited:

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Leopard CV top plan.

If you look closely, you can see where the ridiculously large tail wing on the original artist drawing peeks out beyond the 53-m wide plans. You can also barely see where the original artist's nosecone peeks out in front of the planned StarMade Nosecone.

LeopardCV_DrawPlans_top.png

Edit: It occurred to me that people might want direct links to the community content I mention.

Initial list:

Aluminum Mallard (unwedged):
    http://starmadedock.net/content/aluminum-mallard-mk1-ultralight-freighter.834/

Theatrical (final):
    http://starmadedock.net/content/project-theatrical.1525/

Edit 11/6/2014: I probably won't have any updates until after November. (Due to TF2 Scream Fortress 2014)

Last edited:

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I probably won't have time to post actual Leopard CV blueprints until next week, but here's a sneak preview from some unpopular angles.

Updated underside:

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Ah, yes, the Leopard CV uploads are done. The cost for either blueprint is approximately 1.28 million (as of version 0.017).

There is the classic, unshielded version:
    http://starmadedock.net/content/leopard-cv-dropship-unshielded.1752/

And then there is a (slightly) shielded version for those who wish to play it in the StarMade universe with some hope of survival.
    http://starmadedock.net/content/leopard-cv-dropship-shielded.1753/

These really have made me want to make a classic Leopard dropship.
    However, I first plan to download the latest version of StarMade and reset my universe, if only to get my hands on plex door wedges.
    I am also weighing whether I first want to start my original, Arthur C. Clarke-based design, or go with this Battletech inspiration. (I already have a third common Battletech dropship design in the initial planning phase.)

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I have as many as 5 different Battletech dropship designs for Starmade to build. 2 Aerodynes (space-planes), including the Leopard, and 3 spheroid dropships. The spheroids are more popular, so I will be risking the wrath of Battletech fans by keeping them less-than-cylindrical. The plan is that the StarMade spheroids will be more like elongated pyramids, with straight sides and 90 degree angles.

Plus, I'm thinking more about my Arthur C. Clarke Design. I may increase the size of the link fuel tank (containing thrusters and power generators), leaving the ship core in the floor of the bottom deck, reducing the size of the habitable area, while leaving the ship core at approximately the ship's center. The ship won't need so much living space, and could use more system space, so it's a good plan.

I'm all out of time, and this month (and next!) promise to be busy, so no new updates or blueprints to report. All my Starmade installations are up on 0.1852 or so, the current latest version. I'll be using cheats for the first time, using console commands in these new universes, so that it won't take so long to build these new designs. Unwanted, unexpected interruptions, be gone!

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I found that the small starter section I built for the Leopard Battletech dropship was still in the starting spawn area even after upgrading and starting a new universe. My need to complete existing projects took over, so I am now delaying the Clarke to continue work on the Leopard.

I got the nose area matching my blueprints and ripped out the advanced initial prototype weapon system. It's a good thing too, because my flight hanger flies right through the area where those weapon blocks were hanging.

I have completed the overall hanger. There are some details left to finish, but it's getting close. I found that the central stairwell to the cockpit works as designed. Interestingly, my design created a central column in the middle of the hanger, which includes areas for the flight hanger and the four battlemech cubicles. (Actually, since the hanger is so open, they aren't so much battlemech cubicles as they are battlemech docking and maintenance areas on the open floor.) It's looking nice, and better than I expected. It's still rather utilitarian, but that's part of the Battletech charm.

I have left some spaces inside the ship where there is no direct access by crew for upgrades, for the shielded version to be built later. I found that when exiting the ship, my astronaut tends to fall into the maintenance space closest to the ship core. That was interesting. A symmetric pair of 2x2 doorways corrected the problem without issue.

Edit: artist's rendition of the Leopard (not Leopard CV):

Source:
    http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Leopard

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The lower wings of the Leopard, as shown on original artists' renditions (pre-MWO) are complete. They are even with the lower plane of the ship, so I have not yet considered forward-swept upper wings. So while I'm happy with the engine bulges on the side of the ship aft of the hangers, I need to rework them slightly, integrating forward-swept wings on a higher plane than the current wings.

There will be two multi-purpose rooms, each to one side of the cockpit, set a little lower and being two blocks high, falling directly between the ceiling of the forward hanger and the roof of the ship next to the cockpit bulge. The forward-most part of these short rooms are probably where I will fit weapon blocks. I'm thinking of then making little staterooms off a connecting hallway formed at the rear of each room.

I'm generally happy with the large block spaces within the ship's bulk, which will hold various upgrades. This way, the ship can be easily upgraded with shields via advanced editing when it is complete, in order to create a proper StarMade version. (Conventional Battletech dropships don't have energy shields for protection.)

Similar to my LeopardCV, the Leopard looks like it will end up with a thrust/mass ratio of approximately 2.5.

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Update on the Leopard dropship.

Forward-swept upper wings: complete.
    Multipurpose rooms complete with connecting hallway and all doors: complete.
    PPC/Laser Weapon systems: complete.
    Dorsal double-barrel turret: complete.
    Ventral engine exhaust areas: complete.

I need to add a radar jammer and Bobby blocks to complete it. I may also need to alter the paintjob slightly to make the body more interesting. The overall dimensions are correct (51x66x22). I need to verify the mass (mas: 1720) and the thrust ratio (2.5+).

I set up the weapons so that all PPC and laser outputs are in the main body, facing forward. The lasers are beams painted red. I think I'll leave the PPC beams unpainted. However, I may paint them blue.

The turret has a pair of cannon-slaved red-colored cannons at a 7/6 ratio for semi-rapid fire. This should make up for the lack of missiles and make the turret a critical component of the overall design.

Screen captures coming soon to a theater near you,

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The Leopard dropship already had a radar jammer and Bobby installed in the back of the cockpit.

I'll leave the mostly-white paintjob as-is, and let future buyers implement their own color schemes.

There's not really a good place for a blue light, so the PPCs will remain white.

For the shielded version, I not only added a 32k shield with a 300 recharge, but also a 8-beam six-block-deep salvage system. I was going to put in more salvage beam, but had to reduce it to keep the ship under a mass of 1720 to match the original 1720-tonne mass design specification. The unshielded ship has a thrust/mass ratio of 2.8. The shielded version is closer to 2.6.

Screen captures are done, but not uploaded yet. They still need to be reduced to half-size for showing online. A very tedious process. I have not yet found a complete script online that will -copy- the image files to half-sized versions with modified names. I made the screen captures on the laptop, which is more conveniently available while working on the ship late at night. I need to e-mail the images to myself for resizing on the desktop. The desktop actually has a working BASH script that will resize the files to new names.

Mechs which are 9mx9mx13m are of medium size. Hopefully, it will be big enough for most people's idea of a Battlemech, which are supposed to be between 10m and 20m in height. Considering their size ratios, 9m on a side should be enough for most regular walkers. The squatter, fatter walkers wouldn't fit, but the Leopard is a smaller dropship anyway, so it should be reasonable.

Primary Citations:
    http://www.sarna.net/wiki/BattleMech
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleMech

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I have started in on the Clarke with gusto. I've already had to re-orient the ship correctly to match up the decks with the direction of travel. This means that I was still in the habit of creating space-plane decks, and that I had to delete pretty much the entire ship-in-progress down to the core. (For those who haven't been following, in the Clark, "up" is the same as "forward". The only real change to building is re-orienting gravity blocks to point back instead of the downward default.)

Unfortunately, you cannot re-orient display blocks to read them from alternative directions. Down is down for display blocks, end of story, so I won't be able to use them in the Clarke, with rare exceptions.

On an unrelated note, why won't camera blocks properly mirror across mirror planes? Very irritating. Must reorient them manually.

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Work on the Clarke continues at an acceptable pace. I had designed the Clarke to take better advantage of advanced-build-mode features, and trained myself to take advantage of them. The rear half of the Clarke is 90% complete. What remains: Each individual camera (internal CCTV security cameras) need to be re-oriented. Turret docks need to be implemented along with any needed extenders. Between 4 and 12 7x7x7 turrets (Point defense, most likely) and four 9x9x19 non-AI "fuel tank" ships that are just cylinders with a ship core on the bottom. The fuel tanks will have the option of being jettisoned and replaced with real turrets.

The thrusters are all in, giving a thrust rating of over 2000. Considering that the current mass is a little over a thousand, the end thrust/mass ratio should be close to 1:1.

Total shields are currently over 300k, and combat recharge should be close to 500 s/s.

Energy storage is over 3 million.

Due to its design as a long-term explorer-type vessel, I have not given it an FTL drive.

I have redesigned the forward bulge in the ship to contain two octagonal spaces, 5 blocks wide, about 6 blocks tall (8 blocks from block to block along the center of each lateral axis, to account for curvature.) The purpose? Room for dual artificial gravity systems. At this point, it will just be a dark, open space.

Flight deck is hard to make with grey blocks. I keep running out of grey blocks, having make the entire central part of the forward bulge out of the stuff. I may make the flightdeck out of white blocks instead - with black accent and flight path markings.

Reactions: Egils3

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    As part of the radiator fins on the Clarke, I had implemented some red light blocks surrounded by black crystal armor. I was hoping the crystal armor would provide a darker filter for the red light, dimming it slightly. It's still rather bright, but there's only a single layer of black crystal surrounding it. I don't really have a backup plan in case that didn't work, so I'm leaving it. The light blocks are there to simulate intense heat that is radiating out from the engines. Maybe via a heat-sinking refrigerator system.

I was originally going to leave the radiator fins all-black with nothing fancy, but then I was inspired by the spaceship details from Avatar, which describes red-hot radiators near the engine that glow for weeks on end.

Citation:
    See the "Avatar ISV Venture Star" section in the following webpage for details:
    http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/realdesigns.php

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Finished the access tunnels radiating out from a central hub underneath the flightdeck to the doors leading out to the empty artificial gravity space. These access tunnels will no doubt need to be redesigned later.

Currently struggling with walk ramps from the bottom of the flightdeck to the top of it. (Trying to stay flexible for gravity in either the fore or aft direction.) I came to the conclusion that I need to finish enclosing the flight deck level of the ship, so that I can create the walk ramps to levels farther up. It's going to be tighter than I anticipated. I also plan to create gravity elevators that simply go from the bottom of the flightdeck to the top. With this, no matter the orientation, you can simply take the elevator.

Looks like I need more grey standard hull to finish the mid section of the bulge (the flightdeck and two artificial gravity spaces). Once I get that complete, the rest of the build will be relatively easy. It will still be a long time before it's complete, but it will then be all about systems placement in the remaining no-astronaut areas.

Slow start on designing turret systems for the Clarke. I have a 25x25x25 design in mind for the forward area that will include no less than 8 1-damage point defense turrets. This will leave almost no room for the main turret gun. That will also probably be nothing more than point defense. The Clarke will be able to defend itself against the occasional pebble, but will get crunched like the tin can that it is against anything man-made.

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Finished the flightdeck, minus docking.
    Finished the diagonal corners of the flightdeck level (the flat part of the forward bulge of the ship).
    Finished the second (fore) artificial gravity rotation area (enclosed torus), identical to the aft torus, which is "below" the flightdeck.
    Finished the enclosed walkway ramps from the aft/bottom of the flightdeck, to the fore/top of the flightdeck.
    In-progress: continuation of the walkway ramp from the fore/top of the flightdeck further up to above the flightdeck, without interfering with the external walls.

Special note on the walk-way up: similar to a point where the walkways get close to the bottom of the flightdeck, there will also be a weak point (well, 4 of them, due to symmetry) at upper corners of the flightdeck. If you knew where to destroy blocks, you'd get direct access to the walk ramps. No big deal, you get direct access through the walkway doors anyway.

Estimated construction plan:
    Continue walkway development to the top of the flightdeck.
    Develop hub walkways for the fore/top artificial gravity torus. The hub walkways must pass through the ramped walkways.
    Finish the ship exterior to provide a complete shell for internal walkways and systems.
    Continue walkway development from the artifical gravity torus level up through the interior of the fore of the ship all the way to the forward airlock.
    Complete and verify all four symmetrical walkway ramps, including paths to artificial gravity toruses (torii?).
    Open any "emergency doors" that don't need to be closed under normal circumstances (e.g. middle airlock doors)
    Proceed to implement systems and RP rooms. Finalizing interior, exterior, etc.
    Docks, turrets, ejectable fuel tanks, etc.
    And so on and so on to completion.

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It's quite exciting to get the Clarke's outline complete. External mount points, docking enhancers, and small details near the door still need to be done, but it's very encouraging to see the whole thing from bow to stern. It came two blocks short on length. I'm not sure what's missing. I think the engine nozzle is smaller than planned. Because of my lessons learned regarding pentas and tetras used in bulk to make a 45 degree backswept angle, and how they look bad in certain lighting, using only wedges looks better than I anticipated.

I might work on the external details next, but I'm equally excited about working on the interior details. I am developing plans for a sub-docking-point cargo bay. The plan was always to have a docking point on the nose, hopefully with enough docking enhancers to accommodate an equally-big ship. Now I'm working on a docking bay in the nose, just under that docking point. The docking point is supported by a nice pillar reaching all the way up from the floor, completely surrounded by plex door at the nose tip. I haven't put any thought into how the door would realistically retract if this ship were real, but I'm not worried about that. If someone complains, I'll hand-wave it with the rule of cool.

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    With some quick checks, I found out that I can make eight docking points mid-ship that will accommodate the "ready pack" cargo pods, assuming that the pods have their cores in the middle of the pod structure. (9x11x21) If it's not in the middle, well, then, I might still be able to make 4 docking points. The other four would be shortened to a 9x11x19 area by the 9x15x19 shuttle docks that in place over the four mid-ship external doors that can be used to more quickly reach the ship core than other airlocks further fore on the ship.

I was originally planning to make those docking points turret docks, so that inactive "fuel tank" child ships could be traded out for full-fledged turrets. Since I believe the ready pack cargo pods will not have the core on the outside of the ship, those docking points need to be normal docks, not turret docks.

I have decided to make the sub-docking-point cargo area in the nose big enough to accommodate 2 9x9x(up to 21?) ships/cargo pods. Not nearly big enough for real shuttles, but should be enough for something that looks like regular cargo containers or fuel tanks. While the docking areas will be 9x9, the width of the twin cargo bays will be 10 and the height will also be 10. The extra block in both directions should allow enough space to get the cargo, fuel pods, or shuttles into place, and into and out of the cargo area itself through the nose cargo doors.

I'm currently working out walkways that will snake around the outer perimeter of the nose cargo area without interfering with the twin docking areas while still reaching up to the nose doors. RP Purpose: astronauts need to be able to reach the surface of the nose of the ship for entry, exit, cargo handling, or emergency escape.