Read by Council Japanese Anime Type Weapons

Reaction score
    Hello, everyone! I would like to make a suggestion about a new kind of weapon.

Existing Cannons fire a lot of small bullets. I feel this tendency is somewhat inherited from Hollywood movies including STAR WARS. Existing Beams fire instantly vanishing light rays. I think this can be more showy than existing Cannons. On the other hand, I am thinking of long, wide, bright and slow Japanese Anime Type Weapons. It appears in the following video. It should be a group of particles with high energy. I think it will make the battles in Starmade much more showy.

I know it is not easy for the Schine members and the Starmade Citizens to accept a change in the weapon systems. But I am looking forward to see more showy battles in Starmade.

Best regards.

Reactions: Ithirahad

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Use beam cannons
    Someone who wants slow projectiles shouldn't use Cb because it's the fastest projectile. I'd suggest using cannons with pulse as secondary because increased damaga and cannon projectiles scaling with damage.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I think it would be very nice if beam fire scaled in width with more units, the way cannon changes size but maybe even more.

Reaction score
    I like this idea. More so just to make cannon projectiles easier to see. Maybe a little glow or bloom on cannon projectiles to give it more of a energy projectile feel rather than a shell of sorts.

Ah, what the hell, a bit of glow or bloom for the beams would be nice too.

I think this kinda stuff will come later, once the game is in beta. They're still implementing game mechanics and features that'll add to game play and overall experience. Aesthetics will probably get an update either later or over time just like block skins did.

Reaction score
    Use beam cannons
    Thank you for a brief reply!
    cannons with pulse as secondary
    Thank you for your suggestion. It will surely increases damage. On the other hand, the looking of the bullet is still a problem.
    So essentially Missiles or Missile + Cannon?
    Thank you for your suggestion. At this moment, using Missile is the only option to shoot bullet with long trail.
    I think it would be very nice if beam fire scaled in width with more units, the way cannon changes size but maybe even more.
    Thank you for your reply. Actually, I was waiting for this kind of idea!

Thank you, MTGraves. That is what I have dreamed of. I also hope in that way.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The current weapon effects are pretty much placeholders, and will be improved in time. However, I don't think that they will be quite like this for a number of reasons.

1. This is not just an visual change. Slowing down projectiles will considerably affect gameplay.

2. This will not work well with all weapon combos. Having big long projectiles like this will look strange when a weapon is firing a second one before the first one leaves the barrel.

Finally, this is just not a look that I, and I imagine many other people, want. As people have said, use missiles, they look a lot like this.

Reaction score
    Personally I wish the beams in SM looked more like the ones from Freespace 2. I think there's a reason they don't scale like cannons do but I forgot what it was
    beams.jpg

Reactions: oliwehr_sds
    Reaction score
    Thank you for your opinion, sayerulz.
    1. This is not just an visual change. Slowing down projectiles will considerably affect gameplay.
    I think so, too. However, I would like to mention that the meaning of "slow" in my sense is "slower than light". Actually, I expect this speed is slightly slower than or equal to that of existing Cannon shells.
    2. This will not work well with all weapon combos. Having big long projectiles like this will look strange when a weapon is firing a second one before the first one leaves the barrel.
    I think it is up to the projectile speed and the firing rate, which can be controlled. In the animations, this kind of weapon seems to has a firing rate lower than about 60 RPM.
    Finally, this is just not a look that I, and I imagine many other people, want. As people have said, use missiles, they look a lot like this.
    If there is no big change in the weapon system, I think Missile is the possible option.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Personally I wish the beams in SM looked more like the ones from Freespace 2. I think there's a reason they don't scale like cannons do but I forgot what it was
    View attachment 23255
    Have you tried Kupu's Test FX Pack? It's got bigger beams.
    FX test pack

As for the "why" they don't scale yet, the dev team probably hasn't settled on a size algorithm, or they are waiting to see how everybody feels about the cannon autoscaling, or they might even still be considering the possibility of altering the shader to match the aperture on the gun. In short, beams work good enough for now in the game's current testing phase, so they have other, more important things to consider in the meantime.

Reaction score
    Personally I wish the beams in SM looked more like the ones from Freespace 2.
    I also like this kind of showy space weapon.
    Have you tried Kupu's Test FX Pack? It's got bigger beams.
    Thank you jayman38 for this good news. I will make a try later. To be honest, I agree with you about the situation of development. There seems to be another important tasks at this moment.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    There is a reason; it's that Schema hasn't implemented it yet. :P

Also it'd be confusing if we had 15-block-wide laser blasts that made a 1-block-wide hole. I think Schema's waiting until he has time to implement physical projectile scaling, to make the beam visuals scale.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    So basically projectile scaling. Been suggested before, and is something I would definitely like to see in-game. I already talked to the devs about it btw, so rest assured: They know.

In the mean time you can use the FX test pack, which makes beams wider. You can also get a bit creative and use multiple beam outputs to create a wider looking beam. Unfortunately unless it's split into multiple computers and fired with logic it'll be pretty inneficient (due to the 10% penalty for additional outputs). Larger peojectile can also be done with cannons and missiles by aranging their outputs to form a larger projectile. If you're willing to give up either power efficiency or mouse aim then you can get some fairly interesting effects!

Like that:

or
    It doesn't look like it but this thing is like 3 times the radius of normal missiles. I arranged multiple outputs in a sphere shape so that the missiles would form a ball

My signature is an other example.

Last edited:

Wolverines527

Warrior/Builder
    Reaction score
    Thank you for a brief reply!

Thank you for your suggestion. It will surely increases damage. On the other hand, the looking of the bullet is still a problem.

Thank you for your suggestion. At this moment, using Missile is the only option to shoot bullet with long trail.

Thank you for your reply. Actually, I was waiting for this kind of idea!

Thank you, MTGraves. That is what I have dreamed of. I also hope in that way.
    I was mostly thinking along the lines of the wave motion gun from battleship yamato if you have seen that anime if not i recommend it its pretty good