It's hard to play with collision damage turned on

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Seriously. I left default value of collision damage and turned it on.
    It changes gameplay so much. You're not invicible hiper-ultra diamond ship and I like it. :p
    But I would add some sounds and screeen shaking effect to it because it feels strange for now.

BTW I think that collision damage ignores shields. It could be changed to make big ships more immune to small rubish flying around.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    What would you consider "small rubbish"? small dis-integrator blocks every now and then? :p

I would more like a deflector shield.
    Place a deflector array which is considered either tall or wide for z, wide or long for x, tall or wide for y - dependent on longest axis.
    Then detect if an object approaches from mainly x, y or z and with this choose tall, wide or long.

The rubbish would now go either left or right around this axis of your ship - or be bouncing off like 2 magnets repelling each other.

If this deflector-shield extends over the boundary box, it could also avoid lag-sized ships to ram each other.

2 issues solved at once ↑

Reactions: Unnamed25

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    What would you consider "small rubbish"? small dis-integrator blocks every now and then? :p

I would more like a deflector shield.
    Place a deflector array which is considered either tall or wide for z, wide or long for x, tall or wide for y - dependent on longest axis.
    Then detect if an object approaches from mainly x, y or z and with this choose tall, wide or long.

The rubbish would now go either left or right around this axis of your ship - or be bouncing off like 2 magnets repelling each other.

If this deflector-shield extends over the boundary box, it could also avoid lag-sized ships to ram each other.

2 issues solved at once ↑
    You'd still get lag from the collisions, it'd just be caused by impact between a deflector and ship instead of ship to ship.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    You'd still get lag from the collisions, it'd just be caused by impact between a deflector and ship instead of ship to ship.

Which would be a bit simpler, because it's just one large box instead of a complex mesh like a ship. :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I see that my blocks are destroyed even if my speed is 1.8 km/h...
    System of collision should be polished :P

Reaction score
    I know, a fun thing to do is create a 'missile' of 1 core block, then fly it at the ship at 300+KM/h. Then exit it juuuust as it's about to hit the ship. Utter wreckage, I can see why most servers do not have this option turned on.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    With a core? for real?

I would add some thrust and energy and a single dock for my escape pod :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    You know what i want? slingshots, which would well just be a method to do what the supra suggest but without risking your personal health

Reaction score
    You know what i want? slingshots, which would well just be a method to do what the supra suggest but without risking your personal health
    You can kinda do that with Logic blocks, have one activator activate another activator (Try sayin' that fast) that is attached to a push block, all linked to a clock circuit. Activate it and bombs away...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    You can kinda do that with Logic blocks, have one activator activate another activator (Try sayin' that fast) that is attached to a push block, all linked to a clock circuit. Activate it and bombs away...
    Planetary artillery here we come!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Planetary artillery here we come!
    Also works rather well with disintegrator torpedoes and bombs, and escape pods, too. :3 Would be awesome for railgun-style kinetic launchers as well, but lets admit that collision damage is ill-balanced for wide-spread use right now, unfortunately.

Reaction score
    Also works rather well with disintegrator torpedoes and bombs, and escape pods, too. :3 Would be awesome for railgun-style kinetic launchers as well, but lets admit that collision damage is ill-balanced for wide-spread use right now, unfortunately.
    This is especially why I support putting Logic activators in weapon slots. Who needs railguns? And you're right, collision damage needs balancing.

It'll be done at some point, just like everything else...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    This is especially why I support putting Logic activators in weapon slots. Who needs railguns? And you're right, collision damage needs balancing.

It'll be done at some point, just like everything else...
    Yes indeed. I personally am certainly hoping to see the ability to trigger logic from weapon slots for this very reason, among others. It just seems...well...logical (pardon me XD ) that we would be able to. It would certainly make cross-linked weapons systems, custom logic-controlled weapon firing setups, and custom weapons as a whole (MAC-type weapons, torpedo tubes, and more) much more viable.

I suppose that, as you said, it'll be done at some point...such is game development, such is alpha. Ah well, I suppose that I can wait. ^.=.^

Reaction score
    Is there a way of turning collision damage off for faction ships? Meaning ships in the same faction don't butcher each other?

I made a very foolish sudden move of the mouse while docking my ship to another one and left a huge gash running along the hull.

Reaction score
    1. take fast ship
    2. Add a docking thing
    3. link it so whean a key is pressed whats docked to the front is undocked
    4. Dock a small cube to front.
    5. fly at ship
    6. release

You now have a doomsday weapon. Now I just have to turn collision damage on and try it.

Reaction score
    Actually u can create an "shield" for matter by putting many pullsar an your hull, witch autofire at an high rate.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Actually u can create an "shield" for matter by putting many pullsar an your hull, witch autofire at an high rate.
    While that works, it's arguably not very optimal. Still, props for creative thinking. ^.=.^

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Missile incoming!! Oh, again, really? Is it that time again? Well, activate the pulsar again (sigh).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I set
    COLLISION_DAMAGE_THRESHOLD
    to 100.0
    But still 3 km/h is enough to take damage :/