Island in the Sky - City Project! *NEW video series added! EP 2 up*

Reaction score
    First release of this city can be found here!
    http://starmadedock.net/content/island-in-the-sky.1788/

---------------------------------------
    A new cities based video series is now up! hope you enjoy.

----------------------------------------
    Hello my fellow Starmates!

im very proud today to present to you something iv been working on in silence the last 3 or 4 months now. and while it still isn't nearly complete, it is finally at a point where its presentable.

basically i wanted to do something i haven't seen enough of yet, and thats full blown cities! after my lets play series i really wanted to push my self to the next level, and at times it feels like iv bitten off a little more then i can chew. but seeing the slow steady progress has been very satisfying. this is a project that to truly fully complete will take many many months. maybe even a year to do it how i would really like. so i will continue to work on this until it is complete.

i will be documenting my progress along the way. i will upload it to the website at intervals, the first version probably in the next few days as i want to complete a few more gardens and such in the carved stone section before the first public release.

here is a little reveal trailer i put together, also features a new WIP starmade inspired song. in the next few days i will also start a progress series showing the city in more detail and updates as i go makeing various things and reaching various milestones. i hope you guys enjoy :)

here is an imgur album with about 30 or so select pics form various vistas around the city.

http://imgur.com/a/HVFoP

and here are a few of my favorite pics if your too lazy to go through the whole imgur album

Let me know what you guys think, and what could be changed or improved.

Edit: ill tag kupu as this wouldn't be possible without his epic textures. the carved stones them selves were deff a big motivator or "inspiration", for this project. as they and the green leafy plants and flowers just make me want to build with them! all of them! :D

Edit2: also shout out to tenk11kamikaza, whos builds also helped inspire me to go grand and big. i would have probably done something much smaller if not for the Mastery of Sir Skylord Luke.

Last edited:

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Is that on SP or some build server ? I could offer my help on handling logic circuits in order to make flashy lights

Reaction score
    Is that on SP or some build server ? I could offer my help on handling logic circuits in order to make flashy lights
    its on SP for now. maybe ill start working on it on a server later on if construction becomes to daunting. but for now im avoiding adding logic mainly so i dont get any performance hits. as i imagine as the station/city gets bigger it will be come more and more taxing on the computer. but once it starts taking a more final form then then yes, ill probably start adding logic and such, as long as my machine can handle it.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    EYYYYYEEE BUUUUURRRRN TOO MUCH COLORS AAAAHHH

...That aside, this looks like a really neat city. Sure beats my copypasta houses. :P

Reactions: OdraNoel
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Are you only using natural blocks? Well, mostly natural blocks? I really, really like it. And you've only done 1/4 of your city! Oh, I can't wait to see what you do with the rest of the space.

How's that big ship of yours actually coming along?

Reaction score
    How's that big ship of yours actually coming along?
    hahaha you know i havent touch the thing in months. :p since there isnt much to do with a ship in SP yet besides just mine, iv mainly been sticking to building my stations (previously clarks vision, now this uber city which still dosnt have a proper name) ill go makeing my ships and such as the need arises gameplay wise. but if im going to build something thats jsut "pretty to look at" id rather work on a base for now.

once missions/mobs/enemies/purpose are added then you can bet ill go back to working on the Xevious, or maybe some other ship.

i also have a bit of a soft spot for cities in general, i watched koyaanisqatsi when i was young and it really stuck to me. youll noticed the trailer/movie i made is very much inspired by that movie, while maintaining its own originality as well. my own mini koyaanisqatsi :) (if you havnt seen that movie then go watch it now, prepare for mesmerization)

Edit: oh fun little fact, i duno if anyone noticed but that big tower in the center of the city is the top floor from clarkes vision. now renamed to clarkes tower :p

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    A littlew bit too colorfull :p
    hahaha well thats kind of the point, but yes i realize it wont be to everyones fancy. and im trying to remove some black lights as i indeed over did it on some buildings. but over all im happy with how its turning out, ill do another round of images showing the new parks and stuff prprobably tomorrow, then ill probably upload it as a first release.

the exteriors of the carved stone section is basically done now, including alot of gardens that were previously empty. iv also started the interior of the first restaurant, so that should be in the first release as well, to give an idea of the detail that will be in all the buildings eventually. because as it is, its a big colorful but empty city :( hopefully that will change soon enough.

i also got alot of work to do on the other 3 segments. so im figuring out exactly where to go with those and how to do it. feel free to post your suggestions!

Reaction score
    hurray! so apart from finishing all the parks (including a large lounge/open air resto/food court on the roof of clarkes tower) in the carved stone section. iv also completed the interior of the first restaurant and ready for a first release, which i will do immediately after this post.

here are some pics of the newly completed areas.

here is the entire imgur album:
    http://imgur.com/a/IoA8w

and of course select pics for the lazy.

and now to go upload the city itself!

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Great to see uncommon materials being used for such a large scale project.

Love it.

Reaction score
    Odra,i truly hope you will continue building stuff like this :D its great for RP
    thanks sky :)

yes, RP was definitely one of the main motivators for this city. i am trying to plan ahead with what the game will eventually offer, and with supposed quests and RPG elements on the way at some point, towns and cities seemed like the natural nextstep.

i really hope we get a lot of food items at some point, because iv been making an awful lot of food courts :p

but the main idea would be for the city to act as a central hub for a faction or maybe even run by a neutral faction like the trade guild (once we can add custom behavior for them.)

also the setting of the city can be used for many things. if you turn on simple lighting quality, the city suddenly becomes very dark and creepy/abandoned looking. this is perfect for custom quests to say a city under attack or maybe some long abandoned city that has been over run with monsters/aliens. i made a post on suggestions forums for us to be able to add something like the simple lighting quality as an option for specific ships/stations. its just too cool an effect!

also a large detailed and complicated landscape (once its complete, more fleshed out & building interiors completed) with many enterable buildings makes for a great PVP setting. imagine like 30 guys hunting eachother down all over the city, block damage disabled. i think id have my new favorite "counter strike" or FPS :p

Great to see uncommon materials being used for such a large scale project.
    thanks kupu. :) your textures are just too pretty not to build with them! for me in a voxle game, the textures are just as important as the gameplay/mechanics. i am very pleased that starmade has such a talented and accomplished artist at its artistic helm. you sir, are awesome!

Reactions: Markon