Is there a reason to make a non-homebased station?

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Serious question. Is there? I see no reason besides from it being "cool" for some people to claim a system via a station over a planet.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    You can make an un-factioned Warp-gate system. This would allow you to use it without having to fund with your Faction Points. However, would mean that anyone can use it...
    you could do the same with a planet.

Reaction score
    True. But a planet has gravity which could be an issue. (if only a minor one) I suppose it's really down to preference. There really is no concrete reason to choose one over the other. Just play style and aesthetic preference. Which is a valid enough reason anyway :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Ragnarock gives incentives to make external stations. Each non-homebase station you have, you can have a blueprint or two saved to a dock. Should that blueprint ship get ultimately destroyed/stolen, you lose the blueprint. Therefore, it adds some defense that you need to manage to avoid getting your blueprints stolen or blown up.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I've used non-homebase stations as siege bases before. The issue is that they need to be truly massive before you can reliably assume that they won't be dunked at range when you leave.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Perhaps with a config-based server-side size-limit for ships and another for station it would at least disable lone ships to blow of stations.

If you really want to siege a station, you have to carefully place shield/power-supply logic ships behind your single siege ship.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Purely for yourself? No, not really.

But you can be helpful to new players with them. Just today on my server I built a public factory station at spawn for server newbies. Not much more than a room with a couple sets of factories/refineries and some enhancers on each, and enough shields to keep any griefer newbie to the server from taking it out.

Kept it faction locked to keep someone from taking it, but slapped permission blocks on everything.

Not much, but enough for them to refine their early mining spoils and make modules until they're big enough to set up their own base.

Reaction score
    I have a non homebase as a mining outpost, there were like 20 blue asteroids and the system was already claimed by my faction, so I settled down to experiment. its been great so far. out of the way of everyone else, yet close enough to share resoruces and get advice from the older faction members.

it's not viable in pvp galaxies. altho it would be nice if in pvp there were more bases in general

Reaction score
    Well for Role Play reasons some people build different stations.
    We for example have a "Hyperspace Communication Array" Base on the Edge of our system, it is just there for RP reasons and has no real in game function.

And if a faction gets bigger your sector is getting to laggy if every asset of your faction is in a single system. So it might be beneficial to have additional stations a few sectors away to "park" unused assets.

And we for example have created a forward combat base for factions wars to have something the enemy can actually blow up. (on the RP server we are playing the home base protection will not drop no matter how many battles you loose)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    secret bases can be hidden in the infinite black as long as you name them properly and dont connect warp gates. this alows you to create forward bases that have very little chance of ever being found.

i would definatly like to see some benfit to holding large numbers of systems with stations however. currently theres no reason to hold more than one system. maybe if there were a variable mining yield based on number of systems held, or some sort of payout system for occuping more space? that way large corps would strive to hold as much space as they can manage to take advantage of easyer resorce collection and would be more prone to use those resorces to protect said space.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    There need to be blocks that you gain from mining and blocks that you gain from holding territory + some blocks limited by playing time limited to x a day/week/month.
    Or at least there needs to be support for this.

Then each server can decide how much he wants to encourage territory or playing time or planetary mining by giving different qualities of blocks for different types of effort.

Reaction score
    I've been wondering about making non claimed stations out in the black of space. wouldn't that be neat. to be exploring and theres ... just.. something awesome there. like.. dead planets or a special station. like the void would be empty, save for some super awesome rare things. special planets, or a new type of asteroid, or an npc race. maybe theres wormholes but they are guarded by a super awesome tough new faction...

wait what was this thread about xD

right, why to make non homebase station. I think we can agree that there are reasons, but not the same reason for every type of player. be a neat way to test how awesome your station is, if it can survive without the homebase protection

Reactions: icky
    Reaction score
    yea its startling how big and hard to navigate a station can be. like I had to add on so much just for factory space. then I kept finding more things I needed room for (docks, shipyards, shields, power)

Reaction score
    Well there are some additional reason for a base i can think of.
    On our server we had some events based around stations.

One was a "ground combat" arena for small tanks/mechs.
    One was for a fun boarding event where we had to breach the stations defences and enter on foot to blow up the reactor.
    Another one was to defend an Ammo Depot from npc waves . We failed horribly as the to the brink with warheads filled Depot was hit by some stray missiles and did "ignite" the warheads.

So for special Events stations can be usefull as well.

I think i read somewhere here in the forum about someone building a racetrack.

Not everything has to be combat or production oriented.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Serious question. Is there? I see no reason besides from it being "cool" for some people to claim a system via a station over a planet.
    Super secret ship factory of doom?

Reaction score
    im always leery to do it because i know theres always someone with a deathstar that'll just turn it to stardust in a shot or two.