Is Starmade worth playing right now?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Is Starmade really worth playing at this moment if you're not a builder etc? Every time i join a server to play i, most of the times exit and go play another game. I just think right now, builders are the only ones that have something to do and i, a "survival player" if you may have nothing to do after i am done getting my good ship, making an epic base and doing some lagfest PVPing. It's kinda like minecraft survival right now, yes you can build whatever you want, but when you create your castle, raid other factions, then there is nothing else to do(i guess doing some stuff with redstone(logic for starmade) but someone might not want to or doesn't know how to). Yes there are factions, but it's kinda the same thing unless you go into a war (and actual war and not a flame war which happens most of the time).
    (I am not aiming to start a flame war nor flame bait, i would like to have an answer on what to do please)
    Oh, and no IT'S ALPHA posts.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Well, building ships is kinda the core of the game. A spess game would be pretty boring if you just flew around in a cardboard box. The coming update will help to make PvP and combat more fun as well, and it was stated in the Dev blog that fauna is coming soon, which means procedural(?) mobs and things to poke at.

At the end of the game, we are kinda just testers. We need more community things, like contests or shit like the thunderdome. Something to look forwards too and work on/for until the next big update.

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    Is Starmade really worth playing at this moment if you're not a builder etc? Every time i join a server to play i, most of the times exit and go play another game. I just think right now, builders are the only ones that have something to do and i, a "survival player" if you may have nothing to do after i am done getting my good ship, making an epic base and doing some lagfest PVPing. It's kinda like minecraft survival right now, yes you can build whatever you want, but when you create your castle, raid other factions, then there is nothing else to do(i guess doing some stuff with redstone(logic for starmade) but someone might not want to or doesn't know how to). Yes there are factions, but it's kinda the same thing unless you go into a war (and actual war and not a flame war which happens most of the time).
    (I am not aiming to start a flame war nor flame bait, i would like to have an answer on what to do please)
    Oh, and no IT'S ALPHA posts.
    Oh a bold text with the word "worth" in the first sentence. Didn´t read.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I'll admit, we kinda need to get off our asses and start up a server using the Battle Mode that Schema put in for us. Advertise that server as a deathmatch type thing. That would help tide over the players who like dogfights and such more than building. The survival aspect of the game is pretty much nonexistent beyond "don't fly into stars" and "don't get killed by pirates" right now.

If you're a survivalist type gamer and not a builder, then the game currently has fairly little to offer.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Oh a bold text with the word "worth" in the first sentence. Didn´t read.
    You didn't have to waste a few bytes of internet space to express your feelings about the text and the word worth(?) , and by the way its not bold text.

Reaction score
    im sorry, but it IS alpha. its been mentioned many times that survival aspects of the game are in the pipeline, but right now the core mechanics of the game are still being ironed out. once its mostly finished, then the survival elements will be built around it. but if they started adding survival things now, then they would have to build the core elements around the survival elements.

believe me when i say that survival is the thing i am MOST looking forward too. but we are just going to have to wait a while longer for that. so in a nut shell, does starmade currently offer more than building and pvp/faction interaction? no it does not. but those things WILL come. we just have to be patient.

if you want a real survival fix while you wait for some SM updates then id recommend playing some gregtech or better than wolves (both are HC survival mods for MC, and what led me to become a HC survival fanatic)

Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    im sorry, but it IS alpha. its been mentioned many times that survival aspects of the game are in the pipeline, but right now the core mechanics of the game are still being ironed out. once its mostly finished, then the survival elements will be built around it. but if they started adding survival things now, then they would have to build the core elements around the survival elements.

believe me when i say that survival is the thing i am MOST looking forward too. but we are just going to have to wait a while longer for that. so in a nut shell, does starmade currently offer more than building and pvp/faction interaction? no it does not. but those things WILL come. we just have to be patient.

if you want a real survival fix while you wait for some SM updates then id recommend playing some gregtech or better than wolves (both are HC survival mods for MC, and what led me to become a HC survival fanatic)
    I am aware that the game is in Alpha and i also know that the survival elements will come in the far future. Oh and i dislike Minecraft even if i played it for a long time.

Reaction score
    It's worth playing imo, if only to get the content that's currently available with the latest builds.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Perhaps you can play around with logic and building for a bit. At least you know some shit when combat gets an improvement.

Reaction score
    To be honest, no. I played it for a bit before deciding that it currently has too little content. By far the biggest problem right now is the lack of auto-repair options for your ship. I won't bother building a massive ship if every single hole then has to be repaired manually. It's too annoying. I hear the planned shipyard feature will fix this. Until then I am waiting.

Reactions: Lidren
    Reaction score
    Oh and i dislike Minecraft even if i played it for a long time.

i dont think anyone here "dislikes" MC. we just like SM more. :)

in fact MC has a special place for many of us, as it was the main stepping stone that lead to SM in the first place ^ ^

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    i dont think anyone here "dislikes" MC. we just like SM more. :)

in fact MC has a special place for many of us, as it was the main stepping stone that lead to SM in the first place ^ ^
    I didn't say about the rest of the community, i said i personally dislike Minecraft

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    This topic comes up every now and again, but it's simply too subjective for anyone to give you an "answer". It would be disingenuous to tell you what you should feel here. Exactly why we have the full game for free on this website and Steam.

If you feel like you've exhausted the current content, just take a small break and check us out next update. We'll still be here, a little bigger and better :)

If you really want to get stuck back into Starmade, there is no better way than engaging in the multiplayer aspects. Find the right server for you. Create a faction, a fleet, become an infamous pirate, recreate Quake maps and host duels with player weapons, make a working 8bit computer, set up a wipeout style race track, create a moving battle mech or simply create you're own fun.

Regardless of what you choose, I'd recommend keeping up with the game's developments here on the website or subscribing to the development newsletter. Keep in touch with the community in some capacity to check what events are going on because like i say, we're getting a little bigger and better with each update!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I have tried most of them ( i am removing the logic stuff, i won't even try) but i am confident i will find something that will last quite a while, i made a faction, lasted for about 2 months and now its a bit inactive, but i hope i get an amnesia just for this game, learning this game is the best part for me.

Reaction score
    If you liked playing modded minecraft packs with stuff like IC2, Buildcraft, and other automation/industrial mods, if you enjoyed building bases and traps, and if creating complicated stuff in survival was your favorite pastime, then Starmade is absolutely worth it.
    If you don't, go play a 4x game or space shooter instead, you honestly won't enjoy it.

BTW, I am REALLY hoping that SM gets to the point soon where modders can dig their hands in up to the elbow... That caused MC to EXPLODE and made Notch billions. I look forward to seeing what it will do to the starmade community.

(although I hope the modders don't turn into self-absorbed jerkoff lawyers like they did with MC)

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    W-why are you making your text pure white...

Please, have mercy on my eyes...

tbh I find the default survival aspect boring too so I play on servers that have played with the config a bit to create a new playstyle

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If you liked playing modded minecraft packs with stuff like IC2, Buildcraft, and other automation/industrial mods, if you enjoyed building bases and traps, and if creating complicated stuff in survival was your favorite pastime, then Starmade is absolutely worth it.
    If you don't, go play a 4x game or space shooter instead, you honestly won't enjoy it.

BTW, I am REALLY hoping that SM gets to the point soon where modders can dig their hands in up to the elbow... That caused MC to EXPLODE and made Notch billions. I look forward to seeing what it will do to the starmade community.

(although I hope the modders don't turn into self-absorbed jerkoff lawyers like they did with MC)
    Actually it's still not enough developed to be compared to tekkit. BTW Tekkit have one big minus. It becomes boring when You learn every mod in it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I always see people talk about - ok we build ships and then go to war so is the game ready?

but there is so much more to this kind of game then just global war fights

some projects I've seen that either I found cool or made me laugh
    FPS land - a entire planet set up to run around with rocket launchers - laser pistol - and sniper rifle killing other players in person to person combat once a week - they even have some turrets you can jump in and manually fire at other players

Orb Racing - think mario cart but with starmade and rails - made me laugh the guy who is making it is around 25% done building a course with triggers firing everything from missiles to pulse against racers in small no shielded fighters - first one to the end or last one standing wins

Battle Blox - bit of a battle bots inspired concept - build a drone with the blocks provided (judges will be blueprinting every bot to make sure no one tries cheating) then build a bobby ai controlled drone which fight till the death last one standing

not to mention a group building a entire rail powered amusement park

sure pvp and building ships might be fun but don't forget this is a sandbox so don't limit yourself just building a ship - build a space castle as your ship or a maze or whatever you want - its only limited by what you can think up

Reactions: Lidren
    Reaction score
    Actually it's still not enough developed to be compared to tekkit. BTW Tekkit have one big minus. It becomes boring when You learn every mod in it.
    I didn't compare it to tekkit. I said "If you enjoy Tekkit, Starmade is worth it."
    It is an entirely different experience, but it's like saying "If you enjoy baseball, you will probably like playing catch"
    Although, industrially, I would certainly compare it to SOME of the modded packs, such as FTB lite. ESPECIALLY if you 'even the odds some' by giving pirates access to your blueprints.

Reaction score
    Come on Zoomer what about the fun times we had when I attacked you guys and did that "stuff" that was a lot of fun no?