Is Star Made primarily a shipbuilding game?

Is Star made primarily a shipbuilding game?

• Total voters

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Is Star made's trajectory to end up as a glorified ship editor? Should the main purpose of the game be to construct ships? These are some questions that I am curious about, and was hoping to see what Star made dock thinks.

Personally, I could care less about shipbuilding. I despise it. I'm more into the other aspects of the game, namely trading and fighting. I hope the game ends up with a dedicated survival mode that will rely more on quick thinking than engineering skill.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    where we're at in terms of development is close to where minecraft was in its early days.

Block building in a sand box and not much else.

The devs have taken steps to get us to a proper survival mode but theres still a lot of base features to implement first. Personally I don't think the game will be survival ready until we get:
    • Limited Item Stacks
    • Quest System
    • AI overhaul
    • Creatures
    • Planet optimizations and additional features
    • HP system
    so as you can see we have along way to go. Just be patient

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Starmade is still missing a lot of it's features really, I've always thought of it becoming a "survival sandbox". But one of the most important thing in space games is the ability to travel through space, so ships are important. We are missing a lot 'content' wise though, that's why starmade feels so boring to some people.

I'm a fan of logistics, things like trading or supply lines, docking management and keeping track of what went where and why. I guess that would make me something of a Habour-master type?

Building is all fine and dandy, but you get to a point where you want to do something with your ships, and that's were the game is lacking most right now. Maybe someday.

where we're at in terms of development is close to where minecraft was in its early days.

Block building in a sand box and not much else.
    I remember those days, I used to play it during my lunch break while still in school. Really simple and fun to dick around with for a little bit.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    so as you can see we have along way to go. Just be patient
    I wasn't complaining or anything, if that's what you think. I just highly dislike the idea that Star Made is only a building game and nothing else.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I wasn't complaining or anything, if that's what you think. I just highly dislike the idea that Star Made is only a building game and nothing else.
    I figured that but complaining about it seems pointless as the only way Starmade is going to be anything more than "Just a Building Game" is for us to wait for Schema to finish these features.

Unless you got yourself a few thousand dollars to hire an army of ghost coders for Schema. We're just gonna have to find ways to amuse ourselves till the schine team is done with the new features.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The answer is yes, and also no. Like all games, you get from it what you want to get from it, the game merely provides the tools for your enjoyment.

Reaction score
    I'm fairly new to Starmade. But I've more or less enjoyed my time here. I like shipbuilding but to me it's really just something I have to do in order to get access to the truly fun things such as dogfighting and exploring.

I really do love building...just not so much in survival.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    The game itself has many features, beyond just ship build and beyond just PvP, etc.

That said the game is whatever you want to do and whatever you don't want to do. They're both equally important parts of one whole. It's not primarily one thing, but it can be played primarily as one thing if you want. Different strokes for different blokes.

I primarily build, but that's because PvE is boring after a while (can't wait for quests to change that), and I don't have time to dedicate seriously to playing on a server with a faction where the real PvP action is despite wanting to.

Reaction score
    I'm here cuz a cyber-friend told me about "this game that's in alpha...yadda, yadda.... that's essentially like legos in space." So, yeah, I love the creativity of ship-building. And on top of that, you can shoot stuff (can't do that with legos)!! But ultimately, I'm hoping it'll be "go out there and explore young (old) man!" (And not just shoot-out at the AU Corral.)

~

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record: Every server will become unique. The game at its core will allow for as much sandbox in configs as it does in game. In the finished state pure PvP arenas will be possible with the flick of a switch and still modifiable. An ultra hardcore purest build survival will be just as simple to setup. You will literally be using one client to log into several different styles of game play. A Quake 3 Arena style FPS is possible and the maps couldn't be easier to build. Making a GMod minigame style server will require only a few tweaks. Prop Hunt? Doable! Place a computer and hide in it. Hide and seek? Still possible if everyone turns off their HUDs. Obstacle courses and parkour maps already exist.

Think outside the HULL.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The game shines in highly populated, well-running servers like a sandbox should. Regulars get on, newbies get on, everyone interacts. Trading. Wars. Shenanigans. Spying. It's can be quite fun. Just needs some polish and features, really. I think the PvP is really close to being decent with a few more balance tweaks (i.e. nerfing lock-ons, increasing vanilla beam range, some others).

Official Starmade Server when, schema? Would be a great stress test. Get everyone to quit their spread out small servers and have chaos on one main server, since the playerbase is so small. Or a North American and Eurasian Server?

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Don't ask what Starmade is, ask what you want to do in Starmade.

Reaction score
    I don't know. Lego's were a "Build Block" toy released, but i played with my legos as much as just built stuff, so i treat Starmade the same way. I can build, and then make a story of what to do with what i build!

Then again, maybe i just have a few screws loose.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I used to use Legos for everything. Couldn't get army figure toys? Lego Men w/ gun! Couldn't afford beyblades? Lego-ize them! I lego'd a lot of things, was an interesting period of time.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I used to use Legos for everything. Couldn't get army figure toys? Lego Men w/ gun! Couldn't afford beyblades? Lego-ize them! I lego'd a lot of things, was an interesting period of time.
    Me too, I even once made a working AND stable lock for a broken door out of legos once, was fun.