Is it time to GreenLight Starmade?

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Planetary survival? New gamemode later.

No, it should be a base part of the game as a greater whole... A "first stage," if you will. The crafting system revamp already is helping this, but there need to be more things to do, and more things that will try to do stuff to YOU, before you even get into space.

This is Blockade Runners planned starting mode.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I feel that you should be able to select from multiple starting situations. That way everyone could play the game the way they want to play it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hmm, just my two cents. ;)

I've been playing Minecraft quite some time and I have the feeling that half of the people there is a little premature in thinking MS will ruin the game or change a lot of things. If that even will happen it will be very gradually, but the most important two things to realize is that apart from being the best seller on the Xbox since it came out on that platform, MS is also very interested in the thriving community that exists around the game. Those two are what they payed the money for and it would be very wasteful to alienate that community in this respect.

What this means for StarMade is I feel the same as for Minecraft in a way, just wait and see what happens in the coming months.

Greets,

Jan

Last edited:
    Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    As far as I can see (and as evidenced by the Yogswarm which - admittedly - I was a part of) Starmade is not ready for a massive influx of players. Nor are the Devs. The Yogswarm practically overwhelmed the devs and the community. Hell, I think back then it was just Schema. I don't remember. Do you remember the chat, especially support? It was a cluster fuck. Some serious preparations would be required for an influx of players and, frankly, I think it'd interfere with the progress that is being made.

The game is more stable than it was a year ago, but it's still lacking core features.

It could be beneficial to allow modding, if possible, to take advantage of modders coming from Minecraft. Possibly more so than Minecraft, Starmade has immense potential for modding. Let's not forget that Starmade has the advantage of being a game to start with, while vanilla Minecraft is a dozen shades of beige. The only thing that kept me playing Minecraft was playing with friends. I still have fun with Starmade in single player.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    In case you live under a rock, Microsoft just bought Minecraft, and the community is deteriorating fast. CPW (a big Forge dev) just left modding.

The MC community (especially the modded MC community) is desperately looking for blocky alternatives right now...

Schine, if you're reading this, take advantage of the drama! Please put Starmade promotion into high gear, our community is small and needs to grow!
    yep microsoft has killed minecraft, lets steal it's players before space engineers does oh and, SCHEMA IF YOU EVER GET A 2.2BL OFFER FOR STARMADE, TURN IT DOWN. just putting it out there :)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Too many things to say about this to put it here - but if Schema gets a 2.2 billion offer - my advice would be to take it. Your first priority is you and your family - the rest of us will survive. Microsoft hasn't killed minecraft - there are those hoping this happens so their thoughts of doom will be true - but just wait - wait and see what the giant has planned - it might not be so doomish after all. Change is usually a GOOD thing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Too many things to say about this to put it here - but if Schema gets a 2.2 billion offer - my advice would be to take it. Your first priority is you and your family - the rest of us will survive. Microsoft hasn't killed minecraft - there are those hoping this happens so their thoughts of doom will be true - but just wait - wait and see what the giant has planned - it might not be so doomish after all. Change is usually a GOOD thing.
    Yes but when microsoft helps with change, it is ALWAYS a bad thing

Reaction score
    Xbox 1.

Pretty sure the same part of MS that created that surreal trainwreck are the ones that have Minecraft atm. I can't see this ending too well for Minecraft due to all the mods which incorporate other games, such as the Ars Magica and Pokemon mods, plus I can't see many of the for profit servers not getting shut down.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    No. Just no. Whatever offer he gets, he should decline it (and not politely!). This game will earn him more than enough money to begin with. Unless he can't continue to develop due to a severe health problem, stress or personal issues, he shouldn't sell the game to anyone. Especially not microsoft at that point. Because all they'll do is not develop minecraft or starmade, but they'll make a whole new game.

Reaction score
    No. Just no. Whatever offer he gets, he should decline it (and not politely!). This game will earn him more than enough money to begin with. Unless he can't continue to develop due to a severe health problem, stress or personal issues, he shouldn't sell the game to anyone. Especially not microsoft at that point. Because all they'll do is not develop minecraft or starmade, but they'll make a whole new game.
    This game will not be bought. It's a very good game no doubt, but not worth the cash yet. We're more likely to see Space Engineers be bought off before Starmade because it is later in development. I wouldn't worry about it yet. Starmade isn't worth buying because of the early dev phase.

*dodges rainbows and clocks*

I mean from a business perspective! Please keep buying SM personally!

Reaction score
    I really hope SE will never get bought... I still want to play it one day.
    Well I heard from my mate who's nickname is PIRATE that you can demo the game from a certain BAY before deciding on a purchase (or not)

(It's pretty good, but Starmade just 'feels' better I dunno.)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well I heard from my mate who's nickname is PIRATE that you can demo the game from a certain BAY before deciding on a purchase (or not)

(It's pretty good, but Starmade just 'feels' better I dunno.)
    Lets take advice from someone whose nickname is pirate on a possibly illegal game demo! :p
    Joke, of course. I will check it out. But my biggest problem would be you-know-who, and she doesn't like me playing minecraft because she thinks it is too violent (swords+tnt). It doesn't make sence, I know, but please tell me how to explain to her that gattling guns and missile turrets shooting at almost live-like players isn't violent.

I know what you mean. SE is just a game to build the best ship possible with loads of contraptions, and it is really realistic but, but.. You just can't help but feel that starmade will be so much more than just building ships.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I am a player of Space Engineers as well, it seems I'm a sucker for alpha's and games that offer new ideas, did I mention the Kerbal Space Program or KSP for insiders, oh well. :D

Space Engineers is in my opinion a very nice game in the making and certainly one to try while it's still early access and cheap, although the community is a little more nagging when things get broken from time to time by the weekly updates. Most get fixed very promptly in most cases.
    There's one huge difference with StarMade though, SE has an empty universe apart from some asteroids near the spawn point, while SM has a real universe with planets and what more is in the pipeline. ;)

Greets,

Jan