Inter-Entity Storage-Cargo Linkage

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I realize that this may not be a feature in the current docking mechanic that will soon be implemented, but I suggest that a storage control block on one entity needs to be able to link with cargo slave blocks on another entity.

This would allow freight transport to be somewhat modular and facilitate trade. Freight containers could be docked to a ship, moved somewhere, detached, and efficiently re-docked and linked to a storage control at the new site (or simply unloaded and scrapped).

Reactions: Jumper11550
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    "<sigh>"?

really, guy? really? you don't think that's kind of a dick-head way to respond to someone? to type out <sigh> like some kind of beleaguered Victorian-era drama queen?

anyway... this thread has absolutely nothing to do with cargo transfer between entities. so - aside from coming at me like i'm some kind of retard - you got anything on-topic to say/link/emote here?

Reactions: JimmyJamba
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    I actually really like this idea.

While it does pretty much completely overlap with cargo transfer in terms of material access I don't think it should replace cargo transfer. But being able to keep all the cargo in a docked container and then just link a storage block on the mother entity to the cargo area would be really cool and would absolutely make modular systems a thing (which is awesome!)

However how do you decide which stacks belong to the storage block that owns the cargo space and which ones go in the cargo space. Iirc storage blocks will still have a minimum number of stacks they can store. It might be difficult to untangle which stacks stay in the host storage when the container is undocked. Also how do you handle a container being undocked without the link being broken.

I would like to see this idea show up, but I'm wondering how much complexity would be added to make it work as opposed to the simple item transfer.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    The modular systems are the main point. They'd have to make some calls regarding range cut-offs and such. Docked power is so flexible and amazing, docked storage would be great as well. It would also greatly ease the transition by allowing factions to dock-in storage containers once cargo is implemented.

I'm pretty sure they've already had to define a way to determine which stacks belong in the master storage for the cargo system in general since even on the same entity if you deleted the slaves the system would have to determine what stayed in the master, so I don't think that complicates the idea of docked cargo.

In the end it would be great to see all master/slave systems work between docked entities to allow fully modular ships and stations where you could spawn a modular core ship and just dock an overdrive system and AMC to it and roll out guns blazing.