Read by Council Integrety module: Stops salvaging even when normally would be allowed

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The idea is pretty simple: a single block, when present, prevents salvaging blocks from an entity, even when salvaging would normally be allowed. Only one of these blocks can be present per an entity. This could include an overheating ship, asteroid, or planet plate. This is completely separate from a faction module as it would work on any entity, and does not require a faction claim or an entity being made a faction home.

This will prevent ships from being dissolved while they could still defend themselves with functional turrets and drones, or manually triggering modules (jump drives, push effect, or logic controlled missile swarmers), it'll also protect planet and asteroid basses from harvester ships.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The only objects that can be salvaged without being overheated are planets, asteroids, and decayed stations.
    Of those the planets and stations can be locked away from salvaging with faction modules.

I don't this really adds anything of significant value.

Edit: Also hell no to having one block prevent harvesting an overheating ship, its dead, if the victor has salvage modules they should be allowed to use them, not keep shooting until some random block dies and then harvest.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The only objects that can be salvaged without being overheated are planets, asteroids, and decayed stations.
    Of those the planets and stations can be locked away from salvaging with faction modules.

I don't this really adds anything of significant value.
    You can only lock a faction home from salvaging, and a faction can have only one faction home. This would allow for faction, or non-faction player to protect more than one entity from indiscriminate salvaging. As of right now, no matter how many shields a planet or asteroid has, someone can fly up with salvage beams and make it disappear.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You can only lock a faction home from salvaging, and a faction can have only one faction home. This would allow for faction, or non-faction player to protect more than one entity from indiscriminate salvaging. As of right now, no matter how many shields a planet or asteroid has, someone can fly up with salvage beams and make it disappear.
    You can not salvage a planet if it is faction owned, you can if you own it. Unless something has changed which I doubt it has.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I've tested this, you can salvage it even if it's faction owned. This would prevent salvaging regardless of who owned the entity, whether our of malicious intent, or accidental firing of a salvage beam. Such a module would prevent removal of blocks except when in build mode, or if they're destroyed by weapons fire.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I've tested this, you can salvage it even if it's faction owned. This would prevent salvaging regardless of who owned the entity, whether our of malicious intent, or accidental firing of a salvage beam. Such a module would prevent removal of blocks except when in build mode, or if they're destroyed by weapons fire.
    I also just tested it and you are right in that it does not protect it. This was not always the case, I still wont support this since it was(iirc) a function of using a faction module.

So yeah, Bench can we get a comment on this? As far as I remember a factioned planet could not be mined, and should not be able to be mined now despite being able too.

I don't think a new block would be a solution to this issue. I suspect something got broken.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I don't think a new block would be a solution to this issue. I suspect something got broken.
    I'd be happy if anything that has shield or a shield regeneration modules couldn't be salvaged. That'll work IMO. It's kinda cheap/pathetic a salvage beam works through shields to begin with.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I don't support the OP.
    I'd be happy if anything that has shield or a shield regeneration modules couldn't be salvaged. That'll work IMO. It's kinda cheap/pathetic a salvage beam works through shields to begin with.
    but I do support this.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Also- if a shield is blocking a salvage beam, instead of a "cannot be hit by this beam" error message, the regular shield animation should play, for visual fanciness.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Also- if a shield is blocking a salvage beam, instead of a "cannot be hit by this beam" error message, the regular shield animation should play, for visual fanciness.
    That would be cool, except the shimmer effect only works on ships, and not asteroids or planets. A blue or green shimmer would be better though, so as to not confuse it with an entity taking damage (or an entity that lost it's sheilds, but still has a shield generator).

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    For reference about this:
    Rejected the bug report about it, after a bit of confusion and examination of the problem, it turns out it was mostly a misunderstanding of the security system.

Copy of my comment in phabricator:
    upload_2016-5-28_11-49-25.png

- Andy

Reactions: MDJinRoh

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    hmm why not just add an additional selection to the faction module stating if something can be salvaged or not while it is there? Would solve a ton of problems and there'd be no need for an extra block. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    hmm why not just add an additional selection to the faction module stating if something can be salvaged or not while it is there? Would solve a ton of problems and there'd be no need for an extra block. :)
    Yeah. I would love to see something like that to prevent accidental salvaging. I've become very fond of asteroid base building, esp. early game :D

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    theory ok, but in practical use, this would result in more metadata, that has to be processed for every single block that gets salvaged.

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    theory ok, but in practical use, this would result in more metadata, that has to be processed for every single block that gets salvaged.

- Andy
    I don't have a problem when salvaging as an astronaut, it's the salving with huge salvage array that's an issue. I'd just like to see an asteroid or planet take on the same salvage rules as a ship when faction block or shield generator is plopped on it-- or set a flag i a faction block. Whatever works.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1

- Andy
    Why not do the check once each time the salvager beams pass into the bounding box? Saves on resources, and you don't have to check each block just the overall entity.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I can't count the number of times I've fired my salvage beams at my planet when trying to land thinking I had the docker selected... Mistakes happen, I would support a way to disable planet and asteroid salvaging from owned property. It could easily be an option in the faction module.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I can't count the number of times I've fired my salvage beams at my planet when trying to land thinking I had the docker selected... Mistakes happen, I would support a way to disable planet and asteroid salvaging from owned property. It could easily be an option in the faction module.
    Personally I'd love to see the ability to completely turn off the ability on a server level the ability to salvage planet blocks with anything other than the astronauts beam.