[INDEV]SDK: Starmade Development Kit

Kovu

GD Intern
    Reaction score
    Sorry for my leave of absence, I've had the flu for the past few days. I'll attempt to reply to everything here, but tell me if I miss something.

SUPPORT CAMPAIGN INITIATED
    Anyways, I'd love to help if I can (but I probably can't, because I can only program python and web languages currently)
    Your python knowledge will be useful for scripting so that the toolset will work on multiple platforms. (Assuming all of the tools I find or write work on said platforms). Shoot me a PM and we can talk there.

I shall bring some news, more or less bad though:
    1. Decompiling the code within the StarMade.jar is against the EULA, as far as Calbiri is concerned. Distributing a tool with that sole purpose would definetly not be a minor violation.
    2. The game will have a built-in modding API (and proper documentation of it), that isn't supposed to be just the minimum. However, during the alpha stage, priorities are elsewhere, understandably
    As DukeOfRealms said, I've gotten permission, but thanks for reminding me to put that in the OP. For 2, yes it will have a built-in modding API, but there may be calls to methods which cannot be done without direct code access, but it will likely become less useful once the proper API is released. It'll certainly be useful in the beginning stages though, as you said, as Schema's priorities are elsewhere.

Decompilation? Uhmm.... Use WinRAR and open the *.JAR with it. Change the Code and let parse it back to *.JAR with the Java Console. (Works on Win, OSX & *NIX)

Its a C# & Java App and not a hardcoded C/C++ Project. So the word "Decompile" or "Reverse Engineering" can not be used for Star Made. Guess better writing first a documentation about the filestructure and which kind of data contents by the files.
    Not necessarily true; Java is compiled for the JVM. .class files are bytecode which the JVM processes and converts to machine bytecode. Decompiling is the proper term for it, as is reverse engineering.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Dont talk with a hobby Machine Engineer what is programming and what is not. Java, C#, Python, HTML, CSS, JS, Ajax, LUA, TCL, PAWN, BATCH, BASH are interpreted Script Languages and needs Bytecode to work. The Bytecode is the real "Program" and is parsed and completed over a few threads before it comes to proceeding the desired script. Thats the reason why its slow, because the JVM allocates Memory in a bad way. In a real programing language like C/C++, COBOL, FORTRAN, PASCAL/DELPHI you have to allocate Memory and release it by your own. Also is a BIN "bootable" which can never be happen with java. Obfuscation is no compilation act... I can write a PHP script and use a obfuscator, that doesnt mean that my PHP script was compiled.
    Hi, I in no way dispute your knowledge on the subject, but I would like to share my own views. First of all, I believe Java is a compiled language as the code is translated into Java bytecode and run on a virtual machine whos (whoms?) equivalent of machine code is Java bytecode, which mirrors very closely the way native code is compiled and run, only more abstract. Most sources on the Internet also categorise Java as a compiled language. Also calling Java slow is a little unfair in its present state as it's execution speed is rapidly becoming comparable to that of a native executable in most tasks. In all due respect, the languages you compare with Java are much older and mostly obsolete with the strong exception of C/C++. Java is merely higher-level and more abstract than the languages you mentioned. This does not make it any less "real". By calling Java a language of play rather than that of practicality and utility you practically undermine the work that has gone into Starmade itself.

On another note I know a few programmers who share the same views as you, do you happen to have a lot of experience with Electronics and embedded programming?
    P.S. I don't proclaim to be some kind of Java expert so I would be greatful if someone correct be on any misconceptions.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Hi, I in no way dispute your knowledge on the subject, but I would like to share my own views. First of all, I believe Java is a compiled language as the code is translated into Java bytecode and run on a virtual machine whos (whoms?) equivalent of machine code is Java bytecode, which mirrors very closely the way native code is compiled and run, only more abstract. Most sources on the Internet also categorise Java as a compiled language. Also calling Java slow is a little unfair in its present state as it's execution speed is rapidly becoming comparable to that of a native executable in most tasks. In all due respect, the languages you compare with Java are much older and mostly obsolete with the strong exception of C/C++. Java is merely higher-level and more abstract than the languages you mentioned. This does not make it any less "real". By calling Java a language of play rather than that of practicality and utility you practically undermine the work that has gone into Starmade itself.

On another note I know a few programmers who share the same views as you, do you happen to have a lot of experience with Electronics and embedded programming?
    P.S. I don't proclaim to be some kind of Java expert so I would be greatful if someone correct be on any misconceptions.
    weither or not java was a compiled language was the least problem there IMO.
    Calling java a script language was though, since a the sourcecode of a script language by definition is the language's executable form, which definetly isn't the case for java.

Kovu

GD Intern
    Reaction score
    Currently we're having an issue with some renaming schemes, but the jar should soon be ready to be patched and fixed for recompilation.

Reaction score
    i think this would be really cool, and i myself would find this very useful if it was made.

Kovu

GD Intern
    Reaction score
    Work on this will be forced to be paused; I'm working on a few different projects which have to take precedence.