Increased DPS for harder to aim/use weapons

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    So currently, DPS is based entirely on block count. The result of this is that a number of weapon combos are just not really used, because they do the same DPS as other weapons that are easier to use. The biggest examples I can think of is unslaved missile and cannon/beam+missile. These two weapons are harder to aim than most, but do the same damage. This makes them not really viable next to cannon-cannon and beam-cannon.

I think that a good idea would be to buff harder to aim weapons with higher DPS. Particularly, I am thinking of standard missiles. With their slow speed, mediocre damage, and lack of guidance, they don't seem to be viable weapons. I think that buffing them could introduce effective bombers that are distinct from fighters, since at the moment the best primary weapon for a small ship is cannon-cannon, weather they are fighting titans or micro drones. If it had improved damage over cannons, basic missile could be an effective anti-capital weapon that is best used by small craft that can get close enough to make point defense less effective. Of course, it is possible that capitals would try to get to super close ranges to use it, but I have already heard of that being done to avoid point defense, so it would not be that big a change.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Starmade is at the moment really unbalanced game. For example: resources, some crafting recipes, selfbuff ... I mean support tools and also weapons. As good as some thing looks on peaper they are absolutely unusable in game itself. (EMP, movement effects, repair beams, warheads, shotguns or sniper railguns)

So buffing them is not the solution. If you want to solve this problem you have to add other things to them to make them unique.
    Sniper mode or some sort of scope for long range weapons.
    Narrower spread for shotguns.
    Support tools usable on turrets.
    Buffing ship with astro technician and doing opposite with EMP.

I would keep their stats as they are now but I would add something special to them to make them more interesting.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Cannon/beam is underused? I thought it was the most used Cannon type for turrets, because retarded range and decent-ish reload. If anything, Cannon/Pulse would be the underused one I thought (/Missile doesnt count, since it is utterly garbage in it's current state).

The problem with just buffing Missile/- is that by adding a single beam or pulse computer as a slave, it becomes lock-on (or heat seeking with a missile computer slave). With how the missile type is set up currently, basic missiles are painfully underused because all you need is a spare computer to make them lock onto something. Fix that first.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Cannon/beam is underused? I thought it was the most used Cannon type for turrets, because retarded range and decent-ish reload. If anything, Cannon/Pulse would be the underused one I thought (/Missile doesnt count, since it is utterly garbage in it's current state).

The problem with just buffing Missile/- is that by adding a single beam or pulse computer as a slave, it becomes lock-on (or heat seeking with a missile computer slave). With how the missile type is set up currently, basic missiles are painfully underused because all you need is a spare computer to make them lock onto something. Fix that first.
    That is a good point. Perhaps the missiles turn speed would depend on the effect %? So if you just hooked up a computer, you would technically have a guided missile, but it would turn slow enough so as to almost be dumb fire, but if you had a decent %, it would be a full guided missile?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I suggest allowing Missile/- to accelerate up to a higher speed. Adding a computer for the lock-on ability would instantly remove the acceleration ability.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    All I know is missiles need some form of tweak or minor revamp. I don't like a cut-and-dry On/Off system like we have now with lockons, kinda feels boring considering the Slave ratio based fun it could be.