Read by Schine Increase Speed of Launch rails

ToasterBorst

Formerly known as Weishaupt
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Wired for Logic
    I found them to be satisfactory.. but I also broke all the new blocks on my carrier build right away and had to put it on pause. lol. ..so haven't played with it enough. Would be nice if we could do something as simple as just speed controllers on them.

Do many find the speed to be too slow?

Reaction score
    Unless it requires a ton of work, I think it would be good for speed controllers to work on all rail basic type blocks. Not the rotators, but all the straight line ones.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    It's simple, you juse need to accelerate to attack speed and switch shields to double front before launching the torpeodes.
    25m/s+your own velocity can get sufficiently high warhead speeds.

You just need to pull 'up' at the end of your 'dive' or else you will end up like Porkins. Splat.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I wanted to be able to create warhead railguns with the new launch rails. Sadly, it isn't very practical with a 25m/s launch speed, even if it does get additive speed. I'd like it if we could get these all the way up to server max, at minimum.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Agreed. Was super hyped to get to try them out in the dev build but was a bit disappointed with how slow they are. Really hope they get a speed buff in the future

ToasterBorst

Formerly known as Weishaupt
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Wired for Logic
    Sounds like enough of you would like to see a speed boost that it is worth bumping the thread to council. Thanks for the feedback.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I was thinking of making a mine layer,the 25m/s should be fast enough.Oh dam I shouldn't of shared my plans,everyone put your fingers in your ears!o_O
    [DOUBLEPOST=1457407438,1457407254][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I found them to be satisfactory.. but I also broke all the new blocks on my carrier build right away and had to put it on pause. lol. ..so haven't played with it enough. Would be nice if we could do something as simple as just speed controllers on them.

Do many find the speed to be too slow?
    funny I had my drone launchers working fine for launch and recall one night , the next the drones wouldn't recall?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Sounds like enough of you would like to see a speed boost that it is worth bumping the thread to council. Thanks for the feedback.
    Instead of a straight buff, I would like to suggest that there should be a speed increase dependent on the number of launch blocks. For example (not a solid one, just something that could be...)

Let's say the max boost were 200% of the current launch speed, and the server default to get that was 10 launch blocks. As a vehicle went over each block it gained 25% of the current launch speed up to 200%. Thus; 5 launch blocks in a row would give a final speed of 125% current launch speed. 1 block would give 25%, 10 would give 200% etc...

This would preserve launcher use in situations where you don't really need an overly aggressive launch speed and keep the functionality to allow rail guns.

edit: Oh, and by not tieing it into a rail speed controller it becomes more of a design issue than just one more logic system to hide away. Although I will admit it would loose some of the flexibility that comes with rail speed controllers.

Reactions: Achriel and Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Instead of a straight buff, I would like to suggest that there should be a speed increase dependent on the number of launch blocks. For example (not a solid one, just something that could be...)

Let's say the max boost were 200% of the current launch speed, and the server default to get that was 10 launch blocks. As a vehicle went over each block it gained 25% of the current launch speed up to 200%. Thus; 5 launch blocks in a row would give a final speed of 125% current launch speed. 1 block would give 25%, 10 would give 200% etc...

This would preserve launcher use in situations where you don't really need an overly aggressive launch speed and keep the functionality to allow rail guns.

edit: Oh, and by not tieing it into a rail speed controller it becomes more of a design issue than just one more logic system to hide away. Although I will admit it would loose some of the flexibility that comes with rail speed controllers.
    I like this idea, but the problem is when you are using the rails for routing. You may need 10 blocks just to position the vehicle for launch. I hate to suggest it, but perhaps an accelerator block?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    While we're at it, all rails need a speed boost. the fastest speed a rail is capable of is slower than the astronaut moving on a single axis, let alone all 3

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I like this idea, but the problem is when you are using the rails for routing. You may need 10 blocks just to position the vehicle for launch. I hate to suggest it, but perhaps an accelerator block?
    You could use the pickup rails for routing ships if you need something invisible.

Auriga_Nexus

Befriender of Worlds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    While we're at it, all rails need a speed boost. the fastest speed a rail is capable of is slower than the astronaut moving on a single axis, let alone all 3
    Agreed, this is something that I believe we've been requesting ever since rails first appeared. At the very least it needs to be server-configurable, like max flight speed. The speed rail controller can be used from there to manage the speed to make things slower if necessary.

I'd like to see normal rails have at least the speed of the launch rails as they are now, and the launch rails be able to accelerate on a per-block basis up to a set (and preferably much higher than standard rails) launch speed. Ideally, I should be able to have an underground hangar in the depths of an r-280 ice planet with a launch tube up to the surface, and be able to launch a small shuttle or fighter craft up the tube and have it exit at the surface with enough momentum to escape the planet's gravity, without touching my engines at all.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I imagine there might be a legit concern to making them faster. There is no reason Schema couldn't make them notably faster and yet he has not so perhaps it's an oversight or there are other issues. This is unfortunately a low priority issue. Since we are still working on rails I can ask if it's a possibility.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I imagine there might be a legit concern to making them faster. There is no reason Schema couldn't make them notably faster and yet he has not so perhaps it's an oversight or there are other issues. This is unfortunately a low priority issue. Since we are still working on rails I can ask if it's a possibility.
    Please buff them, we need good warhead railguns!

Reaction score
    It would be nice if Rails in general get a speed increase as well to be honest.