In regards to the battery subsystem that is in the works

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    So currently you add it to your hotbar and click it to deposit energy into your ship.
    It has a power capacity formula like power capacitors and generates power based on the number of blocks placed. Pretty simple.

So:

What if we added a 'tap' (like a tree tap) or an "infuser" blockset, that when linked to the battery group and put in the hotbar, would transfer/drain the power stored there and dump it directly into the ship.

Now of course people would prefer to use weapons instead of holding down the infuser all the time, and thus logic systems to automate the dumping of power into the ship is required, just like how generators work today.
    The "infuser" could be a primary weapon much like the power supply/drain, and take the 4 weapon slave groups to customize its functions.

Now we have something that still retains some of the depth of the generator systems, mainly math to balance the outflow of power to the generation of it and logic to get the timing down.
    And, we get kupu and maybe Saber to make us some sweet pump style looking blocks to go along with our pipes!

---

Another thought, take away the battery power generation and either slave power lines to them or enhance the GUI of the power reactor blocks when you press r on them.

You know how you can press R on power lines and attach logic stuff to it to like shut it off and turn it on again?
    Well what if you could configure the lines to generate their power for the main ship (the default setting), or to a specific battery segment!
    Each battery segment could have the power regen cap of 1 mill and the main ship have the current power regen cap of 2 mill, or they could both be the same, or it could be completely up to the quality of blocks used, the point is the power lines don't share the power softcap when generating power for the main ship or batteries.

This was a post from a general discussion topic, but I thought that it would be better suited here so I copy and pasted it and edited it a bit to look nicer.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I honestly don't see the point? Other than to automate it with logic the only point is to add another step of complexity to the feature.

Like, I think the idea is that it forces capital ships to become less reliant on ship-mounted weapons.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Why the hell would I WANT logic in my systems if it could be avoided? My second biggest problem with docked reactors (the first being collision lag) is that their clocks can shut off on BP load, in heavy server lag, and pretty much whenever they feel like it.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    ... but I like designing logic stuffs :(
    Me too. One of the best things about docked reactors is the techy-ness of it. It's the only time you actually get to design a machine that does something useful and not just pretend. Lowering them into their socket pits and sealing the doors and armor covers and then watching them all come online is freaking cool. I will miss that.

Reactions: Valck

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Me too. One of the best things about docked reactors is the techy-ness of it. It's the only time you actually get to design a machine that does something useful and not just pretend. Lowering them into their socket pits and sealing the doors and armor covers and then watching them all come online is freaking cool. I will miss that.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I think this could become quite interesting, they should be some trade-off, though. Maybe it auto-transfers power slower than if you held down the slot in the hotbar?

The same pump/tap blocks could have a second purpose to transfer the power directly to a docked ship somehow, too. =)

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    Cant we just have batteries that absorb excess e/sec when you're at 100% capacity, and discharges (at limited rate, maybe 200e/sec per block) when you're <80% or something?

Maybe give them 15.000 capacity per block to make them a more viable option for ships with burst damage, or have different versions with higher capacity and lower discharge? Would like to have fully battery powered fighters for combat and circumvents the issues of having 50.000.000 power capacity = 5.000.000 alpha damage

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You forgot jump drives, you can still make useful jump drive things.

Master_Artificer could you explain this suggestion? I don't understand a single bit of it. first of all "battery"? and we have supply/drain beams, don't they eum... do exactly what you are suggesting?

Comr4de what is that gif from in your signature?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Overall, I feel like the unquantifiable """techyness""" of being able to use logic for no reason other than "w-well docked reactors used it and I'd miss it!!!!" is not a good reason to not make it easy to use this system.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    You forgot jump drives, you can still make useful jump drive things.

Master_Artificer could you explain this suggestion? I don't understand a single bit of it. first of all "battery"? and we have supply/drain beams, don't they eum... do exactly what you are suggesting?

Comr4de what is that gif from in your signature?
    It has to do with the new content from the dev build, you place battery blocks and put an icon in the hotbar and click it to recive energy.
    The amount of energy a battery generates is dependent on block count and the storage works like capacitors.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Overall, I feel like the unquantifiable """techyness""" of being able to use logic for no reason other than "w-well docked reactors used it and I'd miss it!!!!"
    ???

The fun of designing something with more technical complexity than "put down ### blocks in an empty space in your ship, get ### power/damage/whatever" is a significant factor, not something to dismiss. So is user-friendliness.

I propose that there be a single "Power Battery Controller" (Or Unstable Reactor Computer) that all of the blocks are linked to, which you can switch on and off with logic OR in the hotbar. This would allow logic-controlled auxiliary power automation, without making the basic manual usage complicated, annoying, or impossible.

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    The fun of designing something with more technical complexity than "put down ### blocks in an empty space in your ship, get ### power/damage/whatever" is a significant factor, not something to dismiss. So is user-friendliness.
    >make not|delay clock
    >link to reactor
    >done

Yes, very complex, wow.

I would argue that Lancake's concepts for reactor designs in the "thermite" thread is plenty of interesting reactor design challenge already.

I propose that there be a single "Power Battery Controller" (Or Unstable Reactor Computer) that all of the blocks are linked to, which you can switch on and off with logic OR in the hotbar. This would allow logic-controlled auxiliary power automation, without making the basic manual usage complicated, annoying, or impossible.
    An OPTIONAL power battery controller is something I'm fine with, sure. But it shouldn't be a necessity, because being able to take out a person's entire power generation system by hitting a single computer is not something I want.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    An OPTIONAL power battery controller is something I'm fine with, sure. But it shouldn't be a necessity, because being able to take out a person's entire power generation system by hitting a single computer is not something I want.
    Perhaps without a controller, the reactors should just run constantly and not be toggleable.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Definitely not.
    Why not? The only reason to be able to toggle a power battery off, is to build up its reserve (aux.) power. And the only reason to build up aux power, unless your ship was built in an exceedingly strange way (Why would your thrusters or shield gen rely on a short burst of power that takes a long time to recharge?) is to activate a temporary cloak, or fire a powerful weapon that isn't designed to be normally used.

Disabling the controller, in this scenario, would be just like disabling a weapon computer, cloaker, or jammer.

In any other scenario, where the power batteries are actually providing primary power to your ship, there's no real reason to ever turn them off in the first place, so there isn't much use in having a controller to start with.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Why not? The only reason to be able to toggle a power battery off, is to build up its reserve (aux.) power. And the only reason to build up aux power, unless your ship was built in an exceedingly strange way (Why would your thrusters or shield gen rely on a short burst of power that takes a long time to recharge?) is to activate a temporary cloak, or fire a powerful weapon that isn't designed to be normally used.

Disabling the controller, in this scenario, would be just like disabling a weapon computer, cloaker, or jammer.

In any other scenario, where the power batteries are actually providing primary power to your ship, there's no real reason to ever turn them off in the first place, so there isn't much use in having a controller to start with.
    Hmm, good point. So, uncontrolled reactors would just be permanently on?

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The great thing about the ability to turn them off is to disable systems that could kill you.

I would also like a means to control what systems draw power or a means to granularly direct power to systems.
    Does this exist already?
    That way, you could have more fun with power/systems management.
    Examples;
    • Redirect power from life support to the main cannon
    • Redirect power from life support to shields
    • Redirect all power to thrusters/jump drive and get us the h*ll out of here...! :)
    • Direct power from Scanner to cloak