Improved Storage System

what do you think of the idea

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    I would love to see our storage actuality given a limit. it makes no since to be able to store an entire star cruiser in one tiny little block. I am sure that they have some thing like that planed for the future but n idea that could be applied to the storage system rather than treating it like the mine craft storage make it limit based on mass,. that would open up the opportunity for the mass that you put into a storage block to be applied to the structure it is on. it makes more since and would open the door for the application of cargo ships. another thing this would open up would be the ability for factories or other such station based facilities to be aloud to be applied to your ship (because who doesn't want a salvage ship that can produce or refine materials as it gathers them) with out taking away from the need for space stations.

Reactions: CyberTao
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    first thing's first, welcome to the community. joined Monday I see, good for us, as you seem to be very observant on things going on.

The limited storage capacity thing, was intended to happen eventually, and that time is actually in dire need to happen sooner rather than later.

While I feel that having the ability to refine on a ship would be a good idea, I also think there needs to be some limitation on this. people have been suggesting the option to craft on a ship for some time now. I say lets consider limiting this too.

The reason being two fold, first of all lets go into why we're doing the limited storage in the first place. We are trying to balance the games ability to gather resources. By imposing the limit, we are thus, balancing the economy of the game. This will help things in the future to develop faster, and that's why it should be on the short list of changes, not the long term one.

By splitting the crafting system in half, this will allow us to both balance the entire crafting system, and keep the stations actually useful, by splitting up only half of the crafting system. I say only, and I mean only letting us place the capsule refinery and the micro assembler, on ships.

which also brings up the other issue with the crafting system. have others had a similar issue as this? say I have a huge shipyard where I use to craft all my materials for building ships. I do on my epic beard server, and it is awe inspiring. But anyway I do lots of mining and crafting there, and I tend to get a lot of materials that end up totally useless. X,Y, or Z colored rocks, lava, sand, and other blocks which do not craft into a damn thing. So wouldn't it be nice to recycle these into something useful?

As it turns out we have a factory that recycles derelict stations into raw materials, the micro assembler does this from the scraps we mine from them. so, why not also make it do that with the other otherwise useless blocks? turn it into a recycling refinery.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Something like Limited storage space would probably happen around the time we get a proper creative mode. While the limit would probably be configurable, I don't want to see new builders forced to jump through more hoops to get to what they want to do.

I do like the idea though, because I like the idea of cargo ships and people having to move things around (for some purpose).

Reaction score
    first thing's first, welcome to the community. joined Monday I see, good for us, as you seem to be very observant on things going on.

The limited storage capacity thing, was intended to happen eventually, and that time is actually in dire need to happen sooner rather than later.

While I feel that having the ability to refine on a ship would be a good idea, I also think there needs to be some limitation on this. people have been suggesting the option to craft on a ship for some time now. I say lets consider limiting this too.

The reason being two fold, first of all lets go into why we're doing the limited storage in the first place. We are trying to balance the games ability to gather resources. By imposing the limit, we are thus, balancing the economy of the game. This will help things in the future to develop faster, and that's why it should be on the short list of changes, not the long term one.

By splitting the crafting system in half, this will allow us to both balance the entire crafting system, and keep the stations actually useful, by splitting up only half of the crafting system. I say only, and I mean only letting us place the capsule refinery and the micro assembler, on ships.

which also brings up the other issue with the crafting system. have others had a similar issue as this? say I have a huge shipyard where I use to craft all my materials for building ships. I do on my epic beard server, and it is awe inspiring. But anyway I do lots of mining and crafting there, and I tend to get a lot of materials that end up totally useless. X,Y, or Z colored rocks, lava, sand, and other blocks which do not craft into a damn thing. So wouldn't it be nice to recycle these into something useful?

As it turns out we have a factory that recycles derelict stations into raw materials, the micro assembler does this from the scraps we mine from them. so, why not also make it do that with the other otherwise useless blocks? turn it into a recycling refinery.
    Good things to think about. to be honest I was completely a where of the problem of giving your ships the ability to produce things. my solution was in putting the mass of everything in your inventories into the related structures. this would make a ship with the ability to produce very limited on how much it is able to produce without greatly effecting the performance of the ship. another thing to think about is the power drain factories have on the space station. put that on a ship and you greatly limit the performance of the other systems involved. point is no matter how you look at it, if applying the previously mentioned ideas, a space station would be a much more efficient place to make large production facilities. because you wouldn't have to worry about the mass and because power would be focused mostly on the production facilities.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1426707527,1426707437][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Something like Limited storage space would probably happen around the time we get a proper creative mode. While the limit would probably be configurable, I don't want to see new builders forced to jump through more hoops to get to what they want to do.

I do like the idea though, because I like the idea of cargo ships and people having to move things around (for some purpose).
    I do agree. though a proper creative mode would be very convenient sooner than later too.