Improved hulls

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This is not a "ADD HARDENED HARDENED HULL" suggestion.

I believe the strength of hull should be based on the thickness of it from the point of impact.

EG, I built a 20 block long by 2 block high, 2 block wide "strip" of armor.

If it is attacked from the front, 20 blocks of hull would be facing the enemy, thus, increasing its thickness from the point of impact and decreasing the damage. Currently, the game counted each hull as a seperate entity which do not interact with each other.

If hit from the side, it only need to penetrate TWO blocks of amor, much less than the front.

(yes, it is confusing)

The "Thicker" the armor, the better the protection. Obviously, it should be capped, so it isn't invincible, and this could be left to the admins to decide by adding a config file to change. But the general idea is so "Thickness" can affect armor, instead of the current 1+1 = 2 system, maybe a 1+1= 4.

This will also stop the fighters vs Fighter from being an hour long unlike the common suggestion of buff hull or Nerf AMC, due to the very fact fighters will not and cannot have 100 block thick armor.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    How would you efficently implement it? Would you have it recalculate on block changes, causing massive lag when blocks are removed, or would you have it calculated on impact, causing massive lag when AMCs hit? Just saying.

Using only the 26 blocks around it as possible armor sources is simplier but still increases armor on a good build.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Check out the topic on hull absorption. It is essentially the same idea but better explained.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Itmauve... It causes massive lag when an AMC is destroyed?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Here\'s what I meant. The server needs to calculate the thickness. It can either recalculate on block changes, or on impacts. If done during block changes, this would require recalculating a good portion of hull every time a block is destroyed. If done on AMC impact, this would require doing the calculation on every impact, making shotguns even more laggy. I suggested doing only the blocks in a cube around the block in question. This limits the size of the recalculation.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I propose small support ships with very thick armor plates flying around your ship and replace hull segments which have

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    You could always make it act like the weapons... the amount there is changes the power of the hull, to a cap of course...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Came up with this idea: thickness boost caps out at 3 or 7 or some other low number. When recalculating the value, you only go along the axies. So when a block is hit on the top, the number of blocks beneath it determines the resistance. Having a limit of say 7 means there is a maximum of say 42 calculations be destruction, which is reasonable I suppose.