Improved boarding viability

Reaction score
    During a discussion on another forum (link will be provided) We started on the subject of boarding and i realised boarding really isnt a viable oprion at the momment...either you run into shielding issues or you have to spend 5 minutes using the torch beam to cut through a single thick layer of glass (yes i did it...pirate station) Then do that through the plex doors which have higher health and hope to god the enemy doesnt use blast doors. It really makes boarding nearly impossible...especially if the ship/station owner decides to be a really big jerk and place multi layered blast doors like i employ...5 layers thick wherever possible...so 1250 health to kill to break a one block line...2500 health if you try to break 2 lines so you can fit a astronaut through. Now thats the challenge...so for equipment we have the patented handy dandy torch beam...1 damage every second? ...so to break through ONE of my doors it will take over 25 minutes. That is not going to fly with most players and now you see why we need better? Yes players have stronger weapons...lazer is 10 times stronger and rocket launcher can 2 shot blast doors...but those weapons are stopped by shields.

In another thread they were proposing buildable vehicles for planetary assaults (link will be provided) which i feel could make boarding vehicles possible. Perhaps those vehicles could be equipped with weapons or tools that bypass shields to break down doors. Maybe a buildable torch module allowing the tanks to burn through doors much faster than a handheld torchbeam.

First link: http://starmadedock.net/threads/alternative-to-capital-ship-hyperdrive.22362/#post-254554

vehicle link: http://starmadedock.net/threads/land-vehicles-ideas.20395/#post-221529

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Killing one door block should put all other nearby on 1 HP :p

Reaction score
    Well then you just space out the door sections. More space but you get by that balancing. One reason i hope for vehicles instead. It doesnt matter how far apart doors are if they each get burned to a crisp by a cutter tanks torch beam in about 3 seconds.

Reaction score
    how about we don't make boarding any easier since its already a super low risk super high reward activity.

Reaction score
    Low risk? I have put pulse generators in the walls. One miss step on the boarders part and you are done. I have also seen rail based patroling turrets in ships that have rapid fire amc arrays capable of taking on whole groups of astronauts with no risk due to the main ships shields. So boarding is only low risk if the opponent hasnt prepared for it...and if they havent...well they are asking for trouble. What i want is to see multiple ways to win a fight...not just who has more alpha strike, bigger ship, or more drones. Im sure no one can deny at the momment that is what decides victory. So i want a way to make the guys in huge titans to have to think about the tactics in the INTERIOR of the ship aswell as the systems. I see starmade as having alot more potenial for tactical play than it currently does.

Reaction score
    Low risk? I have put pulse generators in the walls. One miss step on the boarders part and you are done. I have also seen rail based patroling turrets in ships that have rapid fire amc arrays capable of taking on whole groups of astronauts with no risk due to the main ships shields. So boarding is only low risk if the opponent hasnt prepared for it...and if they havent...well they are asking for trouble. What i want is to see multiple ways to win a fight...not just who has more alpha strike, bigger ship, or more drones. Im sure no one can deny at the momment that is what decides victory. So i want a way to make the guys in huge titans to have to think about the tactics in the INTERIOR of the ship aswell as the systems. I see starmade as having alot more potenial for tactical play than it currently does.
    yes its low risk as in you lose nothing and have everything to gain as in.... you are playing a game you have to pay 1 dollar and have a 10% chance of winning one million dollars. all it costs you to attempt to board someone is a little bit of ur time if it works you get huge rewards if it doesn't you lose nothing.

Reaction score
    Well if it fails you lose the ship you intercepted them in. So if someone can make a good anti-boarder system even just the ship cores they lose boarding them will add up eventually. I will agree no where near the rewards if you succeed but if they are crazy enough to attempt to board a titan in the first place (Who else here is?) Then if they do the work to break through its system they deserve some kind of reward. I also like a bit of an even playing field for all players...so this would allow players that cant build a decent ship to still be a threat to watch for as well as opening up to more roles within factions...now there arent just pilots and gunners. There are also boarders...and i must say...that takes a special kind of crazy.