implementing slabs with planets for larger funner planets

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hey guys, i have a interesting concept to use for planets.

It started off with using slabs in minecraft for a roadway.

now looking at our planets in starmade, i increased their size to approx 4km in size.
    the standard 1x1m block makes having a "walker" type ground unit difficult to use.
    but having slab terrain for the planets will give it a much smoother look and feel.

Also when using a type of mining drill, it can tear a 1x1 block down to a slab until completely mined.
    This way explosions and mining gives it a "damage" type look to it

let me know what you guys think!!

Check my full scale venator stress test!

Reactions: Andem

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I know that using slabs on planets has been suggested before (love the idea). That being said, using slabs to help show damage is a wonderful idea. Performance might be an issue though...

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I agree on the damage/mining of blocks. Reducing them to smaller and smaller slabs over time to illustrate damage would be a great thing.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I would suggest that its a option under settings for players.
    Using large scale mining rigs is laggy enough atm, however for damage and small-scale mining this would be a very cool addition!

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    actually something i just thought of to extend the idea of using slabs for damage and mining....what about also including wedges, tetras, and pentas? (lagfest, im sure). Be really cool to see though. Probably more of a mod idea to be honest.

Reaction score
    I think Orientation would be the problem, then.

Not all blocks had an orientation when they were placed before the Slab update.

If you start making it that blocks turn into slabs when damaged, it may not look the way you want. Instead of it creeping smaller towards the main ship, it could "detach" and look like it's covering in place until totally destroyed

Reaction score
    It would take some finicking, but would definitely make the absurdly squarish planets look better in comparison to the beautifully wedged ships.