IMO Biggest things wrong with the game

Reaction score
    So last time I played more than a few months ago, the biggest problems, now fixed were
    Shotgunning/Checkerboarding
    Recipes

But to my dismay, theres still lots of simple minor annoyances that really ruin gameplay.

Shops don't have any supply/demand reactance, leading to all sorts of economic fubar. If a shop has low supply of an item, then price/item will not be linear, as buying lots of a low stock item greatly increases its demand.
    But even then you run into issues of how to set caps on prices.
    Theres lots of -very complicated- ways around that, the best being what X3 does by having a fully simulated economy, which if you're a pirate or trader is amazing.
    But unless you get crazy time budget for that, its better to just disable npc shops.

Engine placement should affect torsion ability. An engine far from the center of mass will have much greater steering capability. Robocraft is paragon of how a voxel game's physics should be.

The speed system. I don't know how to make it better. All I know is its bad :v

There needs to be FTL drives. That's such a trivial feature to implement.

When getting out of a ship, it should brake.
    When logging out, your ship should brake.
    A way to globally track your ships

The map is terrible-awful.
    All it would take to make it useable is multisector zooming with no max range, the ability to focus on either your ship or a settable origin, and attitude indicators.

Last edited:
    Reactions: gravypod
    Reaction score
    Agree
    Agree
    The speed system is just fine for me. Bad in what way?
    FTL in this game is not quite as 'trivial' as you think it is. FTL is coming next anyway.
    Disagree, what if I want to walk around my ship whilst it cruises to its destination?
    Sort of agree, sort of disagree. I don't play MP that much so I don't really care about this, and therefore my opinion doesn't contribute.
    Agree BIG TIME, a beacon block of some sort maybe?
    Agree but what parts do you hate most? For me the navigation system works just fine. Agree with focus and destination setting.
    Autopilot is available if your server or game has the 'physics slowdown' set to zero, this makes the ship act like real life where it never slows down by itself. Autopilot can be done with a logic repeater and dodge blocks. Still agree that a fully fledged system is needed.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    dodge??? you mean pull? not push?
    or some hack with docked ships/turrets only?

I don' know why decreasing the field of view to get a bigger picture of what-you-look-at is so hard to access - it is already in-game! But it could be quite difficult to hit a zoom-point dodging target :)

I would like something to establish trade routes.
    In X2/3 you have to plant down an asteroid-miner station and wait very long before you can collect the full stock of resources. Then you have to visit it again and again later before it made cost.
    Basically, you need to fly to multiple stations and transport their resources because of the very limited stock they have compared to what the asteroid is capable to output.
    Furthermore, only a low amount of sectors have valuable asteroids where consumable consumption compared to extraction per cycle is good.
    Other sectors are close to suns and good to produce energy which is stored in energy cells (for jump, various other production cycles) very fast.

This lets peoples establish trade routes -> different resources spread out and the need to visit the location again.​

I don't know if something similar is going to happen in SM, but I hope it will. The only downside of X2/3 was that it didn't had multi-player (and X3 pirate stations had a blind spot where turrets targeting you drain station shields :D)

If not natural resources, make information a resource. Some information is valuable too, or not?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I agree with all of the things stated here. My solutions are as follows.
    1. Solution to thrust problems? Use real mass to thrust ratios to calculate the max speed on a per-ship basis rather than just setting a single cap. You could ignore drag; The math is hard and wouldn't yeild that different of a result for ships in a voxel game.
    2. Getting out of ships should %100 fire a brake. ToyotaSupra, the ship gravity mechanics are really derpy right now, as well as where the ship places you when you exit. You end up, most of the time, lost in a sector without your ship.
    3. Add RCS translation thrusters. Use the change direction mechanic to improve turning speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Wasn't the way thrust works going to be changed already? I believe I read somewhere that the length would be forward thrust and sideways would be turning or so.

Reaction score
    edit now that ive played longer: map more than anything needs attitude indicators, preferably one in flight mode as well. Its severely difficult to orient yourself to anything.

As for economy my take is that in a true sandbox you dont need nor want npcs in it. EvE is exemplary in that.
    Also the currency is fiat. For fiat currency to work in reality, the government issuing it must demand all taxes be paid using it, and that is what gives it value. SM gives it value via stations offering goods for it, but the pricing of goods is arbitrated poorly.

Also its come to my attention that server stability, memory leaks (how do you even get memory leaks in java...), and horrifyingly ineficcient save format are extreme issues, but thats rather expected of an early alpha I guess

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree with the map. Planets aren't displayed per planet core, but per planet segment. That causes the planets to look like there are a bunch of them together in one spot. You should also be able to view the map when flying without having to watch your ship fly through the map and you should be able to view the coördinates of the sector in the map (and set a waypoint from the map). Economy is rediculous right now, which is why I don't use shops, but instead use the new crafting system. And that brings me to: the bug that prevents you from mining nacht ore. Now that wouldn't be bad, if it wasn't that nacht was used in the most important block in the game: shields. That should really be fixed sooner rather than later.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    the brakes should activate when nobody is in the ships gravity or within 200m of it.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    In #1, Is that a stick of cork grease (for saxophones, etc.) supporting a bottle of eyedrops? :p

...But yeah, I agree. However, there should be no autobreaking until there's autopilot, otherwise we can't cruise while we walk around our ship. Also, linear dampening should be toggled by some kind of block. (NOT AN ARRAY, A BLOCK)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It would be nice if they added maneuvering AI that would give players an auto-pilot option. It would also have options such as flying in sync with another ship to allow players to drop over and infiltrate it. "Linda AI" lol
    Having weak spots or gaps in shields over plexdoors would be nice to make entering more possible. It would make stellar combat with large ships more interesting.
    Feedback?
    no credit needed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    I've made several autopilot ships using a simple logic loop and push effect system.

FTL is also now in Game... just one more thing to go.

Reactions: Space Shaman
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Literally everything you've mentioned in this thread is something that is currently being worked on. As a returning player, you could take a moment to familiarize yourself with the myriad of changes being made before posting stuff like this.

Also, FTL is not in the game yet.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Literally everything you've mentioned in this thread is something that is currently being worked on. As a returning player, you could take a moment to familiarize yourself with the myriad of changes being made before posting stuff like this.

Also, FTL is not in the game yet.
    Have you seen the date this thread was made? Also, FTL IS in the game

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Nothing I've said is not relevant to this thread as it is now, and there is no FTL in this game yet, perhaps you are thinking of warp drives?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Nothing I've said is not relevant to this thread as it is now, and there is no FTL in this game yet, perhaps you are thinking of warp drives?
    FTL: Faster than light

Warp drives: Enables a ship to instantly teleport from one location to an other by warping space around it, effectively going faster than light.

Call it what ever you want, what we currently have is FTL.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You know we are getting FTL in addition to the current warp drives, right?