Idea for the new ship limit feature

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    So as we all know, server owners randomly received the ability to restrict ships based on mass and blocks.

This has been a long requested feature, and is really nice to have, but I think I have a way to make it even better.

What if this restriction could be overridden based of the # of players inside the ship? The restriction could then be used to require player "crew" for a larger ship to operate.

So there would essentially be 2 restrictions. The first would be a maximum ship size allowed on server. The second would be mass usable per player.

Example: if the server has a player mass restriction of 10k mass the only way to use a ship larger then that would be to have another person in a turret or weapons computer. Basically every player you have on the ship gives you 10k more mass to work with up until the point you hit the servers absolute mass/block limit.

When a ship is "under manned" (meaning the ship does not have enough players inside of it) you would have limited control over systems, or the ship could be effected by the same debuffs that get applied when the ships hp is damaged... Decreased power, movement etc..

This would be ideal for servers that want to promote the use of smaller ships, without totally cutting off the use of large ones. Would also be very beneficial to servers who want to promote a lot of team combat.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
    Reactions: BDLS
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    You clearly do not understand the reason for the restriction.
    Moving on.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Moving on.
    lol you clearly do not understand the point of my post and/or lack critical reading skills.

I will edit the OP and try to make it a little easier for you to understand

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Moving on.
    Boo, unfriendly. :confused:

I don't understand the reason for the restriction, either. Care to elaborate for us less informed?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I assume it's due to really big ships and lag, but this is an interesting idea for RP servers.

Also, simply saying that they don't understand isn't constructive.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I build all my large ships with player crews in mind. So this really wouldn't affect me much.

My current carrier has 6 fighters, manned PDT's and crew quarters for up to 16 players right now.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Would be a nice server.cfg option for deeper server customization.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I would like for timethatswasted to elaborate on what constitutes a crew. Do the players have to be logged on simultaneously, or can we count players who are set to spawn on a ship?

In the first case, we run the risk of having a player loose connection mid battle and ruining the larger ship's advantage.

In the latter case, we run the risk of players having ghost characters to artificially increase ship size.

Was there something else you were thinking?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Boo, unfriendly. :confused:

I don't understand the reason for the restriction, either. Care to elaborate for us less informed?
    Sure :)

The most recent update introduced a mass / block limit for ships that can be set by server administers via the game.config file. The reasoning behind this is to disallow ships over a certain size on the server. This can be for performance reasons or just personal preference. I am suggesting that an additional layer be added to that ship restriction. Each player would be allowed a certain mass. To use a ship that weighs more then that mass, they would have to have another player in the ship with them.

I would like for timethatswasted to elaborate on what constitutes a crew. Do the players have to be logged on simultaneously, or can we count players who are set to spawn on a ship?

In the first case, we run the risk of having a player loose connection mid battle and ruining the larger ship's advantage.

In the latter case, we run the risk of players having ghost characters to artificially increase ship size.

Was there something else you were thinking?
    That is a very important issue, thanks for pointing it out :)

I would say any player would be considered a "crew" if they are aligned to the ship, in a weapons computer, build block, turret, or other docked entity.

If a crew member logs out or disconnects it would probably be best if there was some kind of timer before the debuffs took effect. Maybe like 5-10 minuets? As far as players being able to spawn on the ship, but being off line.... I could go either way on that. There should still be a debuff, but maybe the debuff is not as harsh then if the ship is not maned at all?