I was out, then I rebooted. Now I'm playing again. thanks.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    I'm out for the time being, as well. My friends and I had been waiting for this big update before jumping back into the game, and I was the guinea pig who came back to test it. I spent the last week figuring out the changes and building out a new capital ship. I'd gotten a large chunk of the hull done, and mounted some defensive cannon turrets. That might have been the mistake. When a couple of pirates flew by my turrets engaged them. They hosed down the pirate, but after ten minutes it became obvious they were ineffective. The target was sitting in an adjacent sector, and while I was seeing regular damage numbers, a closer inspection revealed that the Isanth was totally intact. Soon after that, a pack of pirate Isanths showed up and joined the fray. Some of these carried missile launcher. In short order my capital ship was reduced to a mass of glowing craters and the remnants of the turrets were spinning off into space.

It seems, having had that experience, that I might want to wait a little longer until they get the AI and weapons ironed out a bit more. That was about 50 million credits and a week of effort lost in about a minute's time, with my defenses completely nullified because of problems firing across a sector boundary.
    I understand your problems with this, but you can disable enemy spawn, or just dock your ship to a homebase. I have docked 1km long capitals before without problems. You can really, just dock your ship if you don't want anything to happen to it. And currently, the weapons are already being ironed out, and the AI was just an experiment in the latest patch.

Yet, I don't understand how small problems (not even problems in my opinion), could scare away players. Do note, AMCs were overpowered, and turrets were so accurate you'd just get instakilled the second you enter one's range. The changes to this remove the "Bigger is better hurr durr" logic. And if you can't stand such changes, you have been spoiled by the old systems. ;) (same goes for all of you who leave because of the patches *ahem ahem*)

Reaction score
    People seem to forget that this is an ALPHA GAME. Therefore an INCOMPLETE GAME.

Therefore THINGS MAY NOT BE PERFECT CURRENTLY.

You wanna run off? Do so. But remember, you're not here to have fun all the time, you're also here to test the game to look for imperfections.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    People seem to forget that this is an ALPHA GAME. Therefore an INCOMPLETE GAME.

Therefore THINGS MAY NOT BE PERFECT CURRENTLY.

You wanna run off? Do so. But remember, you're not here to have fun all the time, you're also here to test the game to look for imperfections.
    This is an open alpha. Not everyone who downloads the game simply wish to do so to test an alpha of a game... In fact, those people are in the minority if they even exist. If you have an open alpha, and something gets past the dev builds and into a release and it sucks, people are going to complain as though it's supposed to be a finished game... It's not necessarily good or right, but that's what happens when you let the general public "test" a game and implement major changes that break things that were working perfectly (or mostly) fine before the update.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    This, my dear companions, is why we have the "/destroy_entity" and "/god_mode name true" commands. Honestly, if you can't care enough to look around for more than 30 seconds, or, better yet, ask us veterans some questions in chat, you probably don't belong here to be perfectly honest.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This, my dear companions, is why we have the "/destroy_entity" and "/god_mode name true" commands. Honestly, if you can't care enough to look around for more than 30 seconds, or, better yet, ask us veterans some questions in chat, you probably don't belong here to be perfectly honest.
    Ah, you mean like the commands that are mostly for administration purposes and can't be used by normal people in multiplayer, for good reason? Bad combat balance isn't (specifically) why we have those commands at all.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    Ah, you mean like the commands that are mostly for administration purposes and can't be used by normal people in multiplayer, for good reason? Bad combat balance isn't (specifically) why we have those commands at all.
    Let me get this straight.

- Devs are already working on balancing the weapons.
    - The update was released 2 (or more) weeks too early in that aspect.
    - People start to complain, because they are needy.
    - Servers refuse to downgrade, because they are stubborn, and don't want to lose players because of different versions.

The point is, if the servers and the people are to stubborn to make a change, then you should complain to those people and the servers. Not the devs. I, and others on this thread too, have been giving solutions. If people are too lazy or too attached to keeping high levels of players, and refuse to solve the problem, there should be complaints to the lazy people.

And as I said, the devs are already working on the balance.

(Not meant to be harsh, but...) If you are so fond of the old systems, here is a link to where you can get the old versions:
    http://files.star-made.org/build/

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Let me get this straight.

- Devs are already working on balancing the weapons.
    - The update was released 2 (or more) weeks too early in that aspect.
    - People start to complain, because they are needy.
    - Servers refuse to downgrade, because they are stubborn, and don't want to lose players because of different versions.

The point is, if the servers and the people are to stubborn to make a change, then you should complain to those people and the servers. Not the devs. I, and others on this thread too, have been giving solutions. If people are too lazy or too attached to keeping high levels of players, and refuse to solve the problem, there should be complaints to the lazy people.

And as I said, the devs are already working on the balance.

(Not meant to be harsh, but...) If you are so fond of the old systems, here is a link to where you can get the old versions:
    http://files.star-made.org/build/
    I'm aware of where I can get the old versions... However, I'm not downloading them for similar reasons to why I don't bother to mess with my BlockBehaviorConfig: Servers won't use the changes, so I'm going to try to keep things consistent so I don't get surprises when I transfer ships over. Besides, I like the new features, just not the AMC projectile speed change and the thruster rebalance, which isn't worth reverting over. I was just saying.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I was referring to KiloZulu's comment and everyone who has similar experiences; leaving because you can't figure out how2decent in singleplayer. Also, if you go straight from downloading the game to multiplayer (where these administrative commands aren't in play for you) you are doing something wrong. Tutorials are in place for a reason, and until one is able to figure out the weapon combinations there are a plethora of single player commands to keep you afloat. Sitting by idly as your hard work is destroyed (especially in singleplayer) can and should be averted with extremely basic measures.

Again, back to my previous point; if you can't be bothered to look around for more than 30 seconds or can't ask someone in the chat/forums, you probably don't belong here. Sorry.

Reaction score
    Yeah when I rage - I rage. I'm a very patient person - but when the tension sprocket falls off the temper control belt- it's a meltdown. I had a co-worker call me 'Volcano Dave' because when a user did something stupid in IT, and demanded it be fixed - well you know what happened. I have still been playing - not as much. I'm still not happy that the Bobby AI can't hit the broad side of the barn. Don't get me wrong - I love the game, I spend entirely too much time playing/testing/fiddling with it - time that could be better spent doing something more productive like *cough* house improvements, or running my wife a permanent ethernet cable instead of the one laying across the floor, working on my 65 Mustang, working on improving my amateur radio setup, gym, organizing my aircraft picture collection, *sigh* the list goes on. Anyway my rage level is down since my first post. I just can't rely on turrets to do the dirty work anymore until Bobby can learn to shoot again. Still disappointed that Dalmont's Melody mining ship is still borked - trying to fix that without turning it into an ugly mass of blocks.

My test server - I have enemy spawning turned off - yet the pirates still spawn. For now on my test server the pirates have been disarmed - and that tests the new block lag features - nothing like 20 disarmed isanth's flying around, with another 20 disarmed Trader Guild ships flying around the ship running into each other. I'm aware of the admin commands - and I agree the admin commands shouldn't be used as crutch for broken mechanics, but at least they are there to help testing.

Reactions: Zeno9141

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Yeah when I rage - I rage. I'm a very patient person - but when the tension sprocket falls off the temper control belt- it's a meltdown. I had a co-worker call me 'Volcano Dave' because when a user did something stupid in IT, and demanded it be fixed - well you know what happened. I have still been playing - not as much. I'm still not happy that the Bobby AI can't hit the broad side of the barn. Don't get me wrong - I love the game, I spend entirely too much time playing/testing/fiddling with it - time that could be better spent doing something more productive like *cough* house improvements, or running my wife a permanent ethernet cable instead of the one laying across the floor, working on my 65 Mustang, working on improving my amateur radio setup, gym, organizing my aircraft picture collection, *sigh* the list goes on. Anyway my rage level is down since my first post. I just can't rely on turrets to do the dirty work anymore until Bobby can learn to shoot again. Still disappointed that Dalmont's Melody mining ship is still borked - trying to fix that without turning it into an ugly mass of blocks.

My test server - I have enemy spawning turned off - yet the pirates still spawn. For now on my test server the pirates have been disarmed - and that tests the new block lag features - nothing like 20 disarmed isanth's flying around, with another 20 disarmed Trader Guild ships flying around the ship running into each other. I'm aware of the admin commands - and I agree the admin commands shouldn't be used as crutch for broken mechanics, but at least they are there to help testing.
    I suggest simply removing isanths from the blueprints folder. There's absolutely no way they are going to spawn then.

Reaction score
    I suggest simply removing isanths from the blueprints folder. There's absolutely no way they are going to spawn then.
    I could do that - but then the initiate spawn wouldn't work; however, I could also use the command to convert a ship over to the pirate faction that should work too.