I need Help optimizing Starmade On my computer.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Hi Guys,
    I have been playing Starmade for a few years now. I was introduced to Starmade by some friends. They had started a private server and we all had fun playing on it together. For a while. We soon found that the game was crashing when multiple people were on the server. It got so bad that I soon found myself to be the only one ever on the server. Eventually everyone else gave up on the server and the host closed it. I have since, off and on, just played on my localhost. I say off and on, because I get so many ideas and want to build them. I play for a time, but then I run into memory issues, and my game won't render entities right in front of me. The game lags up and gets choppy, and sometimes just crashes. It gets so frustrating that I quit playing. Those are my off times.
    People like Mushroomfleet build things that would break my game. I have downloaded other's ships that aren't that big, but my game lags to the point of freezing. I watch videos of so many players who don't seem to have these issues and I am jealous.

So I am asking for help. What can I do to make Starmade run smoothly on my computer?
    I am running Windows 7 64 - bit
    My Prossesor is an Intel I3-3220 @ 3.30 GHz
    I have 8 GB of RAM
    I have an AMD Radon HD 6700 series Video Card

The best thing I have done on my own, is to change the memory settings in the prelauncher. My current settings are: Max Menory 1024
    Initial Memory 512
    Early Gereration Memory 64

I want sound. The sound on my game has never worked. I just get the looping echoy sound that is quite annoying. I followed the instructions in the connection set up to fix the problem, but it never did fix it. Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Or is my system not strong enough to handle starmade?

Reaction score
    • Tester
    increase memory to 2048/1024/128 (or even twice of those values but not more)
    make sure you are running Starmade with 64 bit java (to be seen in the top while running windowed mode 32or 64bit)
    use the basic grafics settings and up or down from there in single changes (to reset to basic just delete the settings.cfg from starmade folder)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Thank you SmilingDeamon. I have installed 64 bit java and I changed my memory settings to 2048 etc. I still got low memory messages so I changed them to twice that. my in game memory info in the bottom left corner now says that I have 2.07 million kb available and 1.3 million free. I hope this improves my game experience. Thanks again :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'd be interested to know if tis helped?

I can run the game fairly smoothly on my laptop, but I'm trying to start streaming, or at least recording videos for subsequent publication on youtube and when I start recording everything starts going a bit ape.