I have found the answer to the Big ship vs. Small ship Debate!

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Big ship with turrets > Small ship.

Big ship without turrets < Small ship.

Big ship < Zerg rush of small ships.

Death Star > X-Wing.

Big ship = Same mass in small ships.

Come on guys, it's not that hard. Bigger is better, and it should stay that way. Now, I know many of the new players can't build big, and others are just too lazy to do so, and well, sucks to be you. Level 100s in Battlefield have better gear because they worked for it. Nerfing them because they're "too OP" is not the way to go about things. If you really want a solution to your tiny ass weasel of a ship getting shoop da whooped by someone with a titan, stop trying to kill the man, and run away until you yourself posess the power to shoop his whoop. Complaining to the devs that someone with a ship who's shield generator is easily 400 times the mass of your entire ship that it's "too strong and needs to be nerfed" is a really quite bad way of going about it. He is better. He worked for it. You did not. Stop trying to nerf him because he was here to soak up resources before you were. If you really want to be able to luke skywalker a death star with no other players backing you up, try SP, and if that doesn't work, this isn't the game for you. Here, you have to work in order to get somewhere. After five minutes of work expecting to take down a titan doesn't work like you thought, think about it logically before complaining on the forums. Why did I not win? What could I do to win next time? 1.) Your ship was 1/100 the size of his. 2.) Say sorry for attacking him, and go mine instead. Build up your resources, and use your own "OP ship" against him. When you are fighting in the same class of ship, you will find that the opponet is not so OP after all.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Big ship without turrets should = a few small ships. One has more DPS and shields other has maneuverability and acceleration.

Reaction score
    I agree with derbies big ships are better

on a side note at first I dislike BF3 style because it is almost impossible to devlfend again\'s anybody

Reaction score
    I blame MMORPGs for popularizing the terrible mechanics of player levels , as those were meant for closed environments and synchronous playing sessions between friends. Then , every cash-grabbing game added progress and unlockables to retain players longer than they should. It spread like a plague ruining otherwise good concepts.

At the core of every meaningful competition is a level playing field. Everyone must be given a chance to compete on equal terms , preferably allowing a wide diversity of playing styles without crippling disadvantages.

I did not join this game to stockpile blocks forever until I could build a bigger ship than my nemesis. I want to design specialized ships and devise tactics to leverage their strengths. If someone brings a counter or unexpected tactics , it is fair that my odds were not good.

Large ships currently have no role except countering anything below their mass ; this is a problem as there\'s no upper bound besides technical limitations , clientside and serverside limits are extremely variable and some can allow for ship masses orders of magnitude above others. This highlights the urgency of implementing counters to larger ships available to small ships.

Right now , the only advantage they have is constant cloak , which is also broken for many reasons ; it should be a marginal specialization , not a mainstream one , for the sake of player interaction. As a result , the current state of the game is big ships killing anything visible , and small ships never interacting with them until lagspikes cause a decloak.

Regardless of technical considerations , balancing by cost in a sandbox game is a terrible idea. Players have a right to be able to compete without being bored out of their skulls in daily grinds. If you want to be rewarded for your efforts , do charity work in real life until you\'re famous like Mother Theresa. Much more productive.

Wanting your big ship to be uncounterable by a small ship is childish and also worryingly freudian.

Reaction score
    Thanks for this great post.

Couldn\'t have said it better myself.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I can\'t understand what you\'re trying to say. Can you please explain it more simply?

FlyingDebris is right. Turrets are what big ships need in order to compensate for the lack of maneuverability. It is simple and it makes sense.

Reaction score
    at the same time you should realize that there should be ways for fighters to defeat a large ship with specialized weapons but the kind of things that the nemy could prepare for like they ignore shields with missles well strengthen your armor design say have a set out for aestecis that is seperate from real armor and such and with the new weapons fighters should stand a chance but should still be able to be dominated as such the new weapons should hold a emp that only fighters can use that temporarily dissables shields but takes ammo and takes forever to reload do you see my piont fighters should still lose but be able to expliot ship weaknesses such as with the death star dropping a nuke equivelent onto the powersource of the ship should deystroy it but would be hard to hit

Reaction score
    Wait, are you saying that titans should be able to kill ships the size of cars? Rediculous! Everyone knows that a single x-wing should be able to take down a star destroyer! (Sarcasm alert)

Reaction score
    attacks at specific weak pionts then if they arent all dead by then (which is the most probole anser with big ships with turrets) then the remaining fighters should have one against the singular titan if the titan doesnt kill them already then that titan is not well pioleted

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    Larger ships take more effort to build, so they should take more effort to destroy. Thus, smaller ships need to work together or use their size and agility to to take them down.

This is especially the case when big ships have many turrets of variable size and purpose...

Just a screenshot of my current project. I\'d love to see the \"BIG SHIPS ARE OP, PLEEZ NERF\" people react to this.

Reaction score
    I dunno if its much of a solution, but what if bigger ships were detectable from further away? That way, smaller ships have a heads up to avoid giant ships, and those jerks that go around in massive ships wreaking everything and everyone will have to rethink their strategy

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    Considering that radar jamming and cloaking are nearly impossible to implement on large ships yet relatively easy on smaller ones, I don\'t see any considerable need for that.

Reaction score
    That\'s great because it doesn\'t involve adding death star vents into big ships, but it gives the \"core, shield, and gun\" ships the advantage their easily distracted fighter pilots so desperatley want.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Games are not movies. In movies, anything can happen, even the 1:100000000000 shot that Luke made.

Reaction score
    If fighters really really want a way to fight so mad, make a simple implimentation, a missile that no matter how many blocks you have, it stays the same blast radius and speed, make it slow and have a blast radius of like, 3. Make it go though shields, usable, not OP, not abusable (since the only way to actually hit is to be right up on your target cause they are so slow) and will help fighters actually kill things, slowly.