I have found the answer to the Big ship vs. Small ship Debate!

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    But what you seem to be asking for is a one hit kill for anything larger than you.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    the cloaking an jamming sys is just terrible... i made a small ship with only cloaking system and it was able to stay cloaked 1 freakin second!!!

I suggest to get back to old cloaking or we need one thats more stable cause I had to say: what the fuc*!?!? but for now I say, we need old cloak, and jamming system back

Reaction score
    If you\'d watched the movies, you would know that \"this shot was one in a million\". :P

Also, I\'d like to award Stakhanov with all my imagined credit points for awesomeness.

Edit: Okay, for some reason that did not work. I was answering to FlyingDebris\' post above.

Games are not movies. In movies, anything can happen, even the 1:100000000000 shot that Luke made.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I have a ship that fits into the original docking box and can perma cloak while flying and temp cloak and jam while flying. No offence but as Debris said... You are doing somethig very very wrong. Try and limit your number of reactors and remember box dementions are mandatory

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    That can easily be abused. Stack these missiles behind each other in a line and release all 100+ missiles and insta kill everything.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I don\'t think the problem is that big ship > small ship but rather the problem is the fact that 1 big ship is unreasonably better then one or a couple of smaller ship, and i don\'t really know why. It might be becuase they have more shield and weapons blocks and how they scale.

Just a question: how it work when you add for example one shield block or one cannon? Casue if that is done by multiplication then boy we are out in the woods bicyleing, a 5 block cannon should in MY opinion be 1/100 as strong as a 500 block cannon, not a 438 or 676 block cannon. yeah sure you can tweak some here and there to make it truly balanced, for example the RPM can\'t really work like that but has to end up in a way that two cannons, one 1 block and the other 10 blocks, that have the same RPM and damage allocation they should spit out bullets equally fast but one would have 10 times as much damage as the other and would be 10 times better then the 1 block cannon. i don\'t know what they have planned for the weapons update, but changing the current scaling to a linear one (\'cause that would be linear no?) would be the best, but what ever is done larger ships have to reasonbly better then smaller ships

FlyingDebris

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Have you USED a big ship against 3 or 4 smaller ships? Something 800m long stands no chance against 3 or 4 100m long ships if it doesn\'t have absolutely massive turrets.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Our 13m long starfighter took out a 300m long frigate\'s shields with 12 turrets firing.

Basically, if I pilot a 1:1 X-wing, good luck shooting me.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Except for big ship without turrets < small ship.... I\'ts more along the line of big ship without turrets = small ship. They both can\'t keep eachother.

For all the people that are complaining about \"not being on a level playing field\". Who ever said that you couldn\'t also build a big ship or just team up with friends? Just harden the f**k up and do it.

Seriously, that\'s like saying that a wimpy nerd can\'t kill rambo on a 1 on 1fist fight and saying that it\'s unfair....

FlyingDebris

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I am assuming both players have some knowledge of \"stay away from the open end of the gun.\" The smaller ship would orbit the larger ship, whittling down its shields until death. I\'ve seen it happen all too many times, and I myself have been a victim of trollshipitis, back before the DFN.

Reaction score
    I like your thinking. The entire fact that when you are fighting a ship 500 times your size, your shouldn\'t win. GG man, I look forward to any more posts you make.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I use large ships a lot, I love them. One thing I always do when I\'m almost done with a large ship is brainstorm all of the different strategies that could be used to take out my ship then build my turrets accordingly. Even if everyone does that there are still plenty of tactics that can beat large ships.

Large Ships are clumsy. They can\'t escape a planets gravity, so if you find yourself near a planet you can do that. Also chances are they won\'t be constantly looking at there navigation, so build turrets in an asteroid field and bait the enemy.

If worse comes to worst build a ship specifically to take out a large ship that took you out. Then develop an tactic.

With dedication and intelligence a well built small ship can take out a large ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The problem is, there does need to be a reason to have the smaller ships. If I bring in a big carrier (which in and if itself equals a big ship) and send out my crew in a fleet of fighters, they should be able to do more than just act as cannon fodder or target practice.

So far the only reason you\'d have a smaller ship is either because you are new to the game/server, or you want to be able to cloak.

A good suggestion I\'ve seen is to set up the blocks so that they come in systems and subsystems. Instead of being able to fil every last cranny in a ship with power/shield/weapon blocks, you should have specific systems and subsystems (say a 9x9 block of shield generators creates a bubble shield generator, and you have to add more blocks in a geometric fashion in order to cover your whole ship. Bubble shield should be greater than the current shield tech, yet it takes longer to recharge and/or needs more power to create.

Power systems should be created in similar ways, and made so that if they get hit, they explode/go down for a while, and need to be either cooled or put near the outside of the ship to avoid overheating.

Weapons systems should be able to be disabled if they are hit as well. It makes no sense to cut a weapon system in half and still have it firing at you. And the thrusters should be made into whole engines that, once they are damaged enough, are disabled.

One way to integrate this would be to add in new blocks for shield generators and power systems. (say a large sheild generator block that is many times the size of other blocks, or built slowly from smaller blocks into specific shapes) PErhaps a fusion generator block for power that is also larger than the regular block.

Set it up so that once a ship reaches a certain size, regular shield generator and power generator blocks no longer work. YOu then need to create shield generator and power generator rooms, rather than packing every empty space.

Power tanks, on the other hand, could probably stay built in the same way, and weapons systems. But you\'d have to create it so that if a certain percentage of the blocks take damage, the system goes down until it is repaired. It does not count as being broken if a person removes the blocks though.

Reaction score
    This is why most larger ships would often use a number of fighters for point defense. That way, they could do something except pray that the gun batteries hit the enemy fighters. Same as in WW2. Triple-A batteries, while they help, are not the most efficient solution to countering enemy air raids; fighters were.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Team work will always prevail, no mather what (teamwork is op lol). That\'s why I think that it is perfectly balanced right now.

Don\'t have the imagination to make an awesome large ship? Than just make it a simple shape (but not a cube, I will personally hunt you down if you make a giant cube). Too lazy to make a big ship and asking for a nerf? Stop asking for a nerf sh** up, you are not welcome here.

Reaction score
    I agree with this to an extent.

You make a very good point when you say, balancing a sanbox game by cost(Read: Time spent) is a bad way to go about things.

If someone else has more time than I do to build, then they will have a better ship than I. So the game favors players who have a lot of time on their hands to play the game over players who don\'t.

I\'m not saying time should be worthless. If you spend more time on your ship than someone else, it should garnish some advantage sure. But I think where Stakh is going with this is that there needs to be mechanics in place where there are counters to everything, and that countering a big ship shouldn\'t necessarily entail building a bigger one.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    That would be even harder for new players....