Hyperspace Concerns

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    So it's 16 star systems from one galaxy to another, and about 6 from one galaxy arm to another. Is there something preventing warp gates from being able to jump ships this far? (I haven't experimented with them at all yet)

I like the hyperdrive idea though
    Seems a lot like Eve where entire battles could be fought over a capital ship whose jump drive is recharging
    Maybe it should have a charge of 10+ minutes, but regular thrusters can be used when it's not charging?
    Warp gates can jump 8 star systems, so you could build a warp gate from one galaxy arm to another.

Personally, I think galaxies should be a lot larger (like, 50-100 systems across) and have 2 or so galaxies worth of void systems in between each galaxy, so that venturing to a new galaxy is a big deal.

Reaction score
    Personally, I think galaxies should be a lot larger (like, 50-100 systems across) and have 2 or so galaxies worth of void systems in between each galaxy, so that venturing to a new galaxy is a big deal.
    I sort of agree, and at the same time not entirely
    The current galaxies have approximately 64 star systems, which is more star systems than I have ever seen occupied on a single server.

The current galaxies are actually quite large
    Open this picture in MS paint or a similar program then turn on the gridlines (each pixel is 1 sector)
    This galaxy is HUGE, even if it's nothing compared to real galaxies.
    566546245624654.png

I do agree entirely with the "more space between galaxies" idea though

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I sort of agree, and at the same time not entirely
    The current galaxies have approximately 64 star systems, which is more star systems than I have ever seen occupied on a single server.

The current galaxies are actually quite large
    Open this picture in MS paint or a similar program then turn on the gridlines (each pixel is 1 sector)
    This galaxy is HUGE, even if it's nothing compared to real galaxies.
    View attachment 4501

I do agree entirely with the "more space between galaxies" idea though
    It's a bit less than 64. While there are a total of 64 per galaxy, much fewer than that are star systems, with most of them being void systems.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    128 accross would be fine.

With a density of 1024 / 16384 systems occupied by a star?
    With an average of 3 planets per star?
    With about 1 habitatable planet per 8 systems? (= 128 planets per galaxy?)
    With on average 4 humanoid species per galaxy + a few from neighbouring galaxies?