Hyperspace Concerns

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    From what has been described thus far, hyperspace seems to be nigh unusable. So far, what we've been told is that it makes ships immobile, or at best very slow, and it can only be used at the inter-steller level. My point is that building ships that can't move at a level lower than systems is not worth the effort. I suppose you could also use jump drives in addition to hyperspace drives, but I wish hyperspace would fill both roles. Did I miss some critical bit of news? Also, what is the word on thruster movement on the upcoming capital ships?

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Theoretically you could have a module docked to your ship that features the hyperdrive. The main ship has jump and thrusters while the module is used to go to hyperspace. Sure you have to get out and walk to the modules core but it keeps most things functioning.

Reaction score
    Well IMO hyperspace will only be used to carry massive ships, cargo and parts (by massive I'm talking 50 ships docked to a giant kilometers-long mothership).
    Motherships that are so big that using them to actually fly around is impractical, more like a moving station, mainly used to carry your entire life's work and fleet with.

For interstellar and not intergalactic travel (in case you missed galaxies check general discussion I have a thread there) I'm 92.572% sure that jump drives will suffice as they don't require a ton of energy, charges decently fast and is capable of taking you some 10 sectors.

From what I think, basically in real-life terms, hyperdrives take an entire continent's population pops to Gliese 581 and makes a colony there never(?) to return.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Hyperspace is intended for capital ships. If you want long range jump capability then you would obviously be fitting those systems to large ships and those large ships shouldn't be moving so fast to begin with. Makes perfect sense. I do not think they will be immobile since the community voiced their opinion on that matter.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    IIRC Schine nixed the "capital ship" concept. They're just making it REALLY fast.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    IIRC Schine nixed the "capital ship" concept. They're just making it REALLY fast.
    He nixed the capital ship concept?
    Hyperspace is intended for capital ships. If you want long range jump capability then you would obviously be fitting those systems to large ships and those large ships shouldn't be moving so fast to begin with. Makes perfect sense. I do not think they will be immobile since the community voiced their opinion on that matter.
    Well, as long as they're not immobile, that's ok. I rather like the slow moving idea.
    Theoretically you could have a module docked to your ship that features the hyperdrive. The main ship has jump and thrusters while the module is used to go to hyperspace. Sure you have to get out and walk to the modules core but it keeps most things functioning.
    Not a bad idea! Reminds me of the energy regent drain beam concept.
    Well IMO hyperspace will only be used to carry massive ships, cargo and parts (by massive I'm talking 50 ships docked to a giant kilometers-long mothership).
    Motherships that are so big that using them to actually fly around is impractical, more like a moving station, mainly used to carry your entire life's work and fleet with.

For interstellar and not intergalactic travel (in case you missed galaxies check general discussion I have a thread there) I'm 92.572% sure that jump drives will suffice as they don't require a ton of energy, charges decently fast and is capable of taking you some 10 sectors.

From what I think, basically in real-life terms, hyperdrives take an entire continent's population pops to Gliese 581 and makes a colony there never(?) to return.
    I get the idea. I'm just concerned that
    A.) That hyperspace travel will be really imprecise
    And
    B.) That outside of hyperspace you will be totally immobile, making even small corrections impossible.
    Thank you all for all of your posts!

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Damn. I really wanted the capital ship thing to be legit. Imagine a carrier battle where a "capital ship undeathinator system" was installed. Ship warps in, people can jump in their fighters and take the other carrier out. Hopefully they have another way of accomplishing that.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Damn. I really wanted the capital ship thing to be legit. Imagine a carrier battle where a "capital ship undeathinator system" was installed. Ship warps in, people can jump in their fighters and take the other carrier out. Hopefully they have another way of accomplishing that.
    Perhaps that's still in? All I know is that it no longer comes with the hyperdrive.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Hyperdrive ought to function using the nav system. You input cords it sets a waypoint (possibly turns your ship towards the waypoint for you) and then activates hyperdrive. This way imprecision will not happen.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I hope it's still in. It would make team battles more plausible.
    Hyperdrive ought to function using the nav system. You input cords it sets a waypoint (possibly turns your ship towards the waypoint for you) and then activates hyperdrive. This way imprecision will not happen.
    That's what I would prefer, but it didn't look like that was what the devs were going for. I don't know.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Nope! If you want precision, just use gates and/or jump drives. The hyperdrive will be used to cross galaxies, not a pleasure ride to the next system.

Edit: Please let capital ship systems be a thing!!!

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Damn, I'm pretty disappointed that we're losing capital ship systems. I like that idea. Players could just use weaker but still functional push engines (once they're reworked to be usable in all directions) instead of thrusters on a hyperdrive ship.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'll just use jumpdrives on my titans. Just because.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah, adding some sort of capital ship systems would have made differences in role more apparent.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    They must be added, and there should definitely be a speed/thrust nerf, but not a complete lack of when you have a capital ship.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    They must be added, and there should definitely be a speed/thrust nerf, but not a complete lack of when you have a capital ship.
    I agree. I don't mind a nerf, (in fact, I like the idea) but complete immobility makes ships less than useless, unless they're capable of carrying titans themselves, which is unlikely and ridiculous.

Reaction score
    So it's 16 star systems from one galaxy to another, and about 6 from one galaxy arm to another. Is there something preventing warp gates from being able to jump ships this far? (I haven't experimented with them at all yet)

I like the hyperdrive idea though
    Seems a lot like Eve where entire battles could be fought over a capital ship whose jump drive is recharging
    Maybe it should have a charge of 10+ minutes, but regular thrusters can be used when it's not charging?

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    If you can push the forward button and your charging button then yes you can use thruster and jump/hyperspace drives