HP based mining

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Ithirahad keeping entire planets loded constantly through a Starmade equivalent of a world anchor, would create more problems than it'd solve: namely, keeping those huge things loaded means server load, even if there are no block updates happening since the core miner only deletes blocks until it reaches the core. From that moment, no block updates happen, and if it's a docked or high orbital (outside gravity) mining rig, no collision detection checks are made either. Which was the whole purpose of the idea: gaining resources without excessive planetary destruction and the ton of block updates created during it.
    Yeah, I'm aware of the issues involved with keeping planets loaded via world anchor (or AFKer, lol) which is why I didn't suggest using a ChickenChunks-style sector anchor, which was the first thing that occurred to me. There's a solution in here somewhere, but I don't know what it is. :\

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Just the mining entity located on tge planet along with the planet hp..
    Yeah, I'm aware of the issues involved with keeping planets loaded via world anchor (or AFKer, lol) which is why I didn't suggest using a ChickenChunks-style sector anchor, which was the first thing that occurred to me. There's a solution in here somewhere, but I don't know what it is. :\

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Why not? Finally all those fighters and dropships and bombers everyone is posting in community content would find some actual use.
    Because planetary turrets can waste said light craft.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    What i'm saying is that if planets became valuable battles will happen over them. As it currently stands loading a planet and the massive ships factions use there will be just as much load and lag as normally. To avoid this attacks would have to be done with smaller craft and you would have to rely on the common sense of the defender to also use light craft. However planetary turrets and "Waffens" can destroy these lighter ships instantly and are to strong to be destroyed.

It would result in most planets being uncapturable which is an issue.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Lol never say never, there are ways if it is not their headquaters.
    What i'm saying is that if planets became valuable battles will happen over them. As it currently stands loading a planet and the massive ships factions use there will be just as much load and lag as normally. To avoid this attacks would have to be done with smaller craft and you would have to rely on the common sense of the defender to also use light craft. However planetary turrets and "Waffens" can destroy these lighter ships instantly and are to strong to be destroyed.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9

Any stationary defence, not being a homebase, can be exploited with tactics to take it out.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Maybe with extreme teamwork and such. But the average faction will not be able to competitively survive.

It has to be balanced better or lag needs to be guaranteed to be less prevalent than it currently is.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Maybe with extreme teamwork and such. But the average faction will not be able to competitively survive.

It has to be balanced better or lag needs to be guaranteed to be less prevalent than it currently is.
    If people stopped planet mining, it will get alot better,

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Your just replacing block updates with nuke block updates in the end though.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

Uncapturable planets won't happen. If players get frustrated enough they'll build a missile death star and attack from sectors away.

Reaction score

Fixed targets are at a disadvantage compared to ships. Sniper missiles should even let you soften up the turrets without getting into lag range. A well prepared Aggressor definitely has the advantage here. And the non-prepared aggressor shouldn't be capturing planets, that kind of thing should be hard to do.

That said, I would like a way to make landing on the planet and ground warfare to be useful, which currently just isn't an option. Landing with a stealth ship should be doable, but once you're there astronauts can't really do much.

And as for the block updates ideally you won't actually be destroying the planet.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Why not have a timer (server sets it) that ticks and causes these updates? Maybe like every hour it would tick and do the math. (using Leasons HP and sector number idea)

Reactions: Winterhome

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    People keep thinking in terms of blocks and entities.

We could just run a side script that counts up resources every minute or five based on number of salvage modules hitting the planet's core when the sector is unloaded.

Reaction score
    I would be entirely for that, assuming it wasn't too big a performance hit.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    People keep thinking in terms of blocks and entities.

We could just run a side script that counts up resources every minute or five based on number of salvage modules hitting the planet's core when the sector is unloaded.
    which ever gets the job done lol

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think the hardest part would actually be managing storage of the resources.