How to set up Dedicated Server?

Reaction score
    I cannot for the life of me get a dedicated server to work for this game. I press the launch button for the dedicated server and it opens a blank dialog box for the server with no options or buttons. My ports are open, my firewall is open, my game is updated. I open Task Manager and it is taking up a huge amount of memory, but nothing is happening. There's no settings to tweak or anything, just Shut Down Server.

I can't find a single tutorial on how to do this anywhere that's less than 8 months old and hopelessly outdated. The Wiki page simply says something stupid like "Step 1: Run Server....Step 2: Friends Connect".
    Seriously, how is there not better coverage of this component??

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    the local dedicated server takes your singleplayer settings. If you wanna tweak stuff take a look at the server.cfg file in the starmade directory (simply open with notepad or something).
    Hope that helps a bit :)

Reaction score
    the local dedicated server takes your singleplayer settings. If you wanna tweak stuff take a look at the server.cfg file in the starmade directory (simply open with notepad or something).
    Hope that helps a bit :)
    That's helpful for tweaks, but I still don't know how to actually START a server since the box just comes up blank. I feel like I'm missing something super important here haha.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    the blank box .... is the running server

with just no connected client
    start a client and use the online connection part to connect to your server

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    start a second copy of starmade and connect "localhost:4242" in the "online" options manual entry -> lets you connect to server from the same macheine.

If you want someone ELSE to connect, you use "[your IP address]:4242" if you're behind a router learn to port-forward. if you're on a LAN use the LAN IP. if you want the server to show up on the server list then edit your .cfg to broadcast server to the list.

Reaction score
    Got it working. Thanks guys! I didn't really understand the system for how it picked a save file for a server and how it determined if it was hosting or not before. It's still a stupid and weird system to be honest, but at least I get it now haha. It's almost TOO simple to the point where I didn't believe it was working =D

Reaction score
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP! I know this post was a long time, and I understand everything but my problem is I cant open a second copy of starmade, please help.

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Why would you need to run a second starmade copy?
    If you wanna play local with a friend, just hit normal singleplayer, it automatically runs a local server where other people can join