How to recruit crew?

Reaction score
    I recently discovered Starmade. Brilliant game.

I understand the crew AI is in early stages, but some people seem to have success recruiting and giving them simple orders.

I have paid my 50,000c and now have a crew member in my faction, but when I try to give it some commands it says I need an AI module. Is this the Bobby AI module or something else?

And when you have one of these all important modules, how do you use them?

I'm not getting much information from wiki's and general google searches, so any suggestions here would be great.

Thanks.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I think the key was Control while they are in your party to open the commands menu that is just a little number menu off the the left.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If admin you can also use some commands to manipulate the crew members, the most important being having them sit. This is important so they don't get left behind when you use a jump drive and even then it not 100% certain the warp won't devour them. When using some of the CTRL key commands and admin commands, like move here, it's important to be looking at the block (reticule on a block) that you want them to interact with. If you see pathing errors that usually means they are too far away to resolve how to get there. I've found that generally they have to be within a few hundred meters, although I did have one crew member move almost 2k to get to the station, but it took a while.

Reaction score
    Thanks for the hints, but I still feel I am missing a key bit of information.

So no module blocks are needed to interact with them? But I do need to press a special key at some stage.

Again I would appreciate any clear instructions/step-by-steps that anyone can give - but then again my ship blew up in space and Im struggling to rebuild for some strange reason :-(

Thanks

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Once a crew member has joined your team, limited to 4 or 5 crew, press and hold the left CTRL key. While holding control you should see the names of your crew on the left side of the screen. while still holding left CTRL, press the number for the crew member you want to give a command to, and while still holding left CTRL, press the number of the command you wish to give.

Honestly, at this point in development crew are only good as props in stations. Lots of potential here, but they just aren't useful for anything right now.

Reaction score
    Thanks for explaining in detail Gristle, that makes perfect sense.

I shall wait for future improvements before trying this experiment again.

I was hoping I could hire an NPC to go mining for me or setting stuff etc.. :)