How to make credits as a begginer?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I got this wonderful game yesterday and haven't hardly put it down. So first I'd like to thank the wonderful people who are working on it as well as anyone taking the time to read this. I'm mostly curious if there is a really good ore or something to mine and then perhaps craft into something to make some easy credits. Everything that turns up on google or youtube seems to be outdated. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Reaction score
    in single player, you can use the command /give_credits number player

I'm mostly curious if there is a really good ore or something to mine and then perhaps craft into something to make some easy credits.
    it doesn't work, the price of advanced blocks ( computer...) is exactly the sum of the price of its components.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    in single player, you can use the command /give_credits number player
    Sadly I want to play on a Multiplayer server so I can get into pvp or make some new friends when I get the hang of things

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The ways I've found to work:

Mining
    - Mine asteroids & planets and sell ores. Planets are better for big salvagers while asteroids for small ones.

Manufacturing
    - Buy or mine ores, and make them into blocks. You will usually sell them for a higher price if you've manufactured them. Check the shop prices to see what gives best profit.

Killing
    - Kill pirates and salvage dead ships and get the loot cloud. All of it can be sold for credits.

Pirating
    - Steal other peoples stuff. There are various ways to do so:
    • For a cheap scrub its best to use a cloaky ship and use the grappling hook to board a ship and use the torch to break the core and get in it. Another way is to wait at spawn and grapple onto a ship without them noticing
    • Alternatively you could attack mining ships with a combat capable ship, but the likely hood someone will escape is high if you are a beginner.
    • Find ships by looking in chat or going and scanning in online members systems.
    • Beware, people will hate you for doing this.
    Scamming
    - Giving inexperienced players a really good offer and offer to meet them in a sector.
    - Have them drop items first, then take them and run off.
    - People will hunt you down if you do this.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!

Mining
    - Mine asteroids & planets and sell ores. Planets are better for big salvagers while asteroids for small ones.

Manufacturing
    - Buy or mine ores, and make them into blocks. You will usually sell them for a higher price if you've manufactured them. Check the shop prices to see what gives best profit.

Killing
    - Kill pirates and salvage dead ships and get the loot cloud. All of it can be sold for credits.

Pirating
    • For a cheap scrub its best to use a cloaky ship and use the grappling hook to board a ship and use the torch to break the core and get in it. Another way is to wait at spawn and grapple onto a ship without them noticing
    • Alternatively you could attack mining ships with a combat capable ship, but the likely hood someone will escape is high if you are a beginner.
    • Find ships by looking in chat or going and scanning in online members systems.
    Scamming
    - Giving inexperienced players a really good offer and offer to meet them in a sector.
    Thanks sound like really good advice. I'll keep at it.

Reactions: aceface

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Scamming
    - u inexperienced players a really good1 offer and offer to meet them in a sector.
    I will f****** hunt you down and murder you if I ever catch you doing that (or anyone else for that matter).

The rest is good advice, though :p

Reactions: aceface
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    make computers. Mine some resources, turn them in to capsules, then use starmadecrafting.org to figure out what ore/crystal you have the most of (or dont plan on using) then make computers based off of whatever crystal/ore it is. I personally advise against selling raw ore as crafting can net you a LOT more blocks than buying and selling can (you can craft more blocks in 10 seconds than a shop can hold once you have a lot of factory enhancers), and you can start to mess around with logic if you want to make more advanced factory setups.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Pirating
    Scamming
    I never trust people even within my own faction unless they've earned it. We all Booby Trap our ships and stations so thieves die a lot. Falling for scams is unlikely but if someone does fall for it anyone caught scamming normally gets a server wide bounty on their heads. Stealing other people stuff normally gets an AI driven fleet outside their door and some swarmer satellites sitting just out of range of most defenses. That and we try and take back anything that is stolen if it is still existing before totally blowing away anything not nailed down. :)

I will f****** hunt you down and murder you if I ever catch you doing that (or anyone else for that matter).

The rest is good advice, though :p
    lol same here. I'm likely to deploy a swarmer satellite ship outside someone's home base just out of range of their turrets with enough Anti Missile guns to keep down any return fire in the form of missiles.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Wait a minute... Are you saying that factioning my ship is not enough to keep people from being able to steal it? That if I log off somewhere, someone who finds my ship can easily break in and make off with it? Are we now required to build anti-astronaut weapons to defend our ships core from borders?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Wait a minute... Are you saying that factioning my ship is not enough to keep people from being able to steal it? That if I log off somewhere, someone who finds my ship can easily break in and make off with it? Are we now required to build anti-astronaut weapons to defend our ships core from borders?
    Yeah, the torch tool bypasses shields, so eventually a lucky astronaut will be able to take full control over your factioned ship

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Yeah, the torch tool bypasses shields, so eventually a lucky astronaut will be able to take full control over your factioned ship
    This is why the insides of my ships and stations are littered with traps. :) If you start having more near-death-experiences you know you are getting close to something important.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Can the torch tool cut other blocks, other than the core? Could it be used to cut through to an anti-astronaut weapon to disable it?

(Seriously sidetracking this thread, sorry.)

Reaction score
    Yeah doesn't it seem an awful lot like a personal, hand held griefing tool?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Can the torch tool cut other blocks, other than the core? Could it be used to cut through to an anti-astronaut weapon to disable it?

(Seriously sidetracking this thread, sorry.)
    It can cut any block, it doesn't destroy the core though but it does damage it. What you want to guard from boarding parties is the faction block since if they get a torch on that the ship is theirs without much of a fight the second the pilot gets out of the core. If you are near a blackhole you can get rid of your guests though in one move. :p

The thing is my ships have faction blocks in every docked entity so if someone wants the ship they are going to have to work for it a while.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    How to start quickly on a new server:

1) Spend your starting credits on:
    Basic Factory
    Standard Factory
    Advanced Factory
    Capsule Refinery
    Factory Enhancer x4
    Undeathinator
    Turret Axis x2
    Rail Docker x2
    Bobby AI
    Ship Core x3
    Faction Block
    Build Block
    Shop block
    Power Generators and Capacitors at a 2:1 ratio for however much you have left.

2) Don't bother making a mining ship, just make a little 3 block pod (core, power generator, thruster). Open your galaxy map with P and use WASD to move the cursor around until you find an unclaimed system with lots of yellow rings (aka, lots of asteroids) and at least one purple ring (a planet).

3) Set a course to that planet, and go straight there at full speed. Don't stop to look around, just shoot for that planet as fast as you can.

4) Get to the planet, place your faction block. Enter faction signature, claim system, make faction home.

5) Drop build block, and make a survival shelter. Set up your factories, put the enhancers on the refinery, set up your power.

6) Place and use the Undeathinator!

7) Build a basic turret out of your starting cannon blocks to defend your survival shelter. It won't do much, but it'll keep the pirates away.

8) Mine the planet by hand. Build Mode won't give you crystals/ore, so you gotta pull those blocks out with your suit laser. Gather resources of any kind for a while until you get sick of it. Put your resources in the Refinery.

9) Use your factories to build more power generators, thrusters, salvage modules, and a salvage computer.

10) Use a 3 block pod to leave the planet and get into space, then build a bare bones mining ship. Just salvage arrays, power, and thrusters. Don't bother trying to make it pretty or even put a hull on it. Just make as big of a salvager as you have parts for.

11) Mine asteroids. Pay special attention for green asteroids.

12) When you're done mining for a run, disassemble your mining ship and go down to the planet in a pod. Never try to land any ship of any real size on a planet. Even ignoring the lag, the wonky physics can do terrible things to a ship under gravity. If you want to keep the ship you have now, save it as a blueprint before you disassemble it, and then use your shop block to buy the blueprint back for free and use the blueprint when you take a pod back into orbit again.

13) Repeat steps 9-12 until you have lots of resources.

14) When you have eaten enough green asteroids, you should have lots of macet and nocx. These are the compenents needed to make Warp Gate Modules in your advanced factory. Those sell for 1-1.2 thousand credits each. Mass produce as many of those as you can, then sell them to a shop.

15) Soon as you get your first million, make a space station and move all of your stuff there. Make it your new faction home.

16) You are now fully established and ready to go!

Last edited:

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Also don't forge to add a jammer to your miner so pirates take longer finding you. :)