How to get that extra download or review of your community content

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Silver
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Having recently released a new ship to the community content page it got me thinking about what would be considered a successful release. Here are some tips and tricks that might help you when releasing content.

Thumbnails
    Unless you’re a very well-known content creator like Dalmont or Sky lord, people will not automatically click on your content link. The Thumbnail is most likely the first thing they will see when browsing the page. Even more so then the title. Try to make it clear what the viewer will be getting when clicking that link. Its only 96x96 pixels but it’s enough to make out the type of ship you are offering.

Screenshots
    This seems obvious. But I still see content uploaded without any screenshots. NO PICKS NO CLICKS.
    It’s even easier nowadays because you can directly upload your pictures to your content page.

When taking screenshots of your build try to take the following into account:

• Make sure your build is lit up enough. Space might be dark but people still want to see what your ship is all about.

• Have only your build or builds directly related to it on screens. Having your awesome WIP battlecruiser in the background might seem like a good idea but it’s only distracting. Why am I downloading your shuttle instead of that Battlecruiser?

• Try to get screenshots from multiple angles that best feature the concepts of your build. Having an awesome door design open with rails? Make a short .gif file.
    Description
    People don’t read. That might be a bid harsh but in general it’s true. Having half a novel worth of text on your content page will not entice people. Try to be brief when describing what your ship is about.

You can either do it by shortly describing the main features of what makes your ship special, bullet point lists or even a short technical summery.

Even more popular would be to create a fact sheet of your ship. Combining screenshots with text. Showing different profiles of your build with little technical facts thrown in to highlight certain features.

Advertisement
    There is nothing wrong with advertising your project. Just do it in a tasteful way and don’t plug it in everywhere when it is inappropriate. Make a post of your own in the Shipyard section of the forum. Show people screenshots of your work in progress. Even better if you are featured in a video link to that.

Just make sure you do follow through on a release if that is your intention.

Release dates
    Your ship is done and you want to get it out there as soon as possible. I get it but just take a step back and think about it. If you have 20 versions of an AMS turret you flood the contest page with nobody is going to be grateful.

Being on the first page of the community content does matter and you’re fellow creators are also people that might download your ships. Either bundle up or spread out releases.

The build itself
    And finally we come to the build itself. You would think that is the most important part. In many ways it is yes. But to get there all the subjects mentioned above will have to be traversed first.

Think about your build and ask yourself this question. Why am I releasing this content?

If it’s just a gray box with some modules as a ‘starter ship’ it’s not going to generate much interest.
    But if your build is what one reviewer called it ‘A labor of love’ people will take notice.

And over time your will have your own build style that people might recognize.

I hope this was helpful. If you have any additional tips and tricks feel free to post them below.