how thick is your ship?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    So I'm building my largest ship yet (small compared to most ). Its about 300 long 60 tall and 150 wide. Has ato turrets on it. But I'm only making it one block thick. Is that good bad? If my shields fail I'll get riped down fast. I was wondering how thick you guys/girls made your walls and do you use the hard hall at all?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Shields are the only defence that matters, hull is paper. So making it one block thick isn't too bad, although you will get flak from the RP lobby.

Reactions: Mariux
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I only use hardened hull, unless it is unavailable due to it being expensive.
    And the thickness of my walls varies, from 1 to 4 blocks everything is possible.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    My very first released build only had a 1-block thick hull to stay close to the original design.

My current project uses 4 blocks of standard hull for outer walls. Inner walls remain at 1 block. 2 if I want two rooms to have a different wall design on the shared wall, or if the design dictates that the two rooms are 2 blocks apart instead of 1. I'm using standard hull to keep it from being a treasure ship.

I also try to incorporate utility blocks into my interior walls and floors for added decoration and motion. That they happen to add to the overall power generation or shield storage is simply a bonus.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I know that @Lancake has a gigantic ship that has 8 block thick armor for a total of 6 million hardened hull blocks. Once the HP system gets released it will be practically indestructible :D

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Yeah and I'm sure to balance hardened hull out it will be a lot heavier :D Good thing it has a huge empty space inside, enough space to make 4 of those ships move like a ferrari... and also break your game and your PC.

My ships are normally around 2/3 hardened hull thick. The front plates exceed 20 blocks. I'm experimenting with a hardened hull infrastructure so my ships still have armor left even if missiles crack the outer skin.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    The problem is never how much hardened hull you have or balancing the weapons/armor. People will always build massive guns so that they can bypass that armor entirely.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hull will be useful when the HP system comes out so hull will be useful in the future but until then it is only useful on small ships

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hull us useless besides for aesthetics
    1 layer is fine
    Speaking of aesthetics, my middle layers of hull are black, so that if just the outer hull is stripped away, the black hull underneath might look a bit like carbon scoring. Once I take my current project into a test run against some isanths, I'll know if that idea worked or not.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Yes, Hull is pretty much useless, certainly for capital ships. That doesn't stop me from making my ships feel sturdy. And you guys seem to forget how strong you can make your hull when using a defensive effect. Block effect defensive bonus : 30%. Not 100% sure but that would mean 80% armor. On a 200hp block that would make each hardened block last for 1000 HP pure damage. I think having armor that can withstand 2000/3000HP before breaking down is a nice number.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    The problem is never how much hardened hull you have or balancing the weapons/armor. People will always build massive guns so that they can bypass that armor entirely.
    Can't the same be said about shields? Pop the shields in one hit then a rocket up your hanger. What will the hull hp system be like?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Can't the same be said about shields? Pop the shields in one hit then a rocket up your hanger. What will the hull hp system be like?
    I have no idea. I am hoping the new HP system will use the total number of armor blocks to give us a hull "health" Once a certain amount of hull health is reached by destroying hull, systems will take full damage from weapons. The health is determined by the blueprint when it is saved and the ship you are flying cannot be saved while in combat or after a certain amount of time out of combat to prevent exploiting that system. OR perhaps a player needs to be near a station in order to save that blueprint. Who knows. There are multiple ways to fight the exploit that comes with the system.

Also the new crafting update hopes to give a lot of value to both hardened hull and weapon blocks. Players will or should be more inclined to protect their ship instead of build massive weapons because they will be more expensive and a larger loss when those blocks are destroyed.

Reactions: WarmasterRaptor
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    with the HP system I went the amount of damage the HP system of the ship take depends on what they hit
    e.g. if they hit a harden hull the damage taken is halved. if it hits standard hull the damage is 3/4

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    with the HP system I went the amount of damage the HP system of the ship take depends on what they hit
    e.g. if they hit a harden hull the damage taken is halved. if it hits standard hull the damage is 3/4
    That already happens to an extent. Armor mitigates damage.

Reaction score
    470L, 250ish wide, 140 tall

with about 2-3 plates of hardened armour

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    you could make your systems of the ship then use advance build mode to cover it with hull

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    With the current armor bonus you get 571 HP out of a hardened block, it's not bad but I hoped for a little bit more. Good thing you can boost your shields with 60% ^^

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Yeah and I'm sure to balance hardened hull out it will be a lot heavier :D Good thing it has a huge empty space inside, enough space to make 4 of those ships move like a ferrari... and also break your game and your PC.

My ships are normally around 2/3 hardened hull thick. The front plates exceed 20 blocks. I'm experimenting with a hardened hull infrastructure so my ships still have armor left even if missiles crack the outer skin.
    I prefer to make my systems insanely redundant. So that even if you destroy 60% of the vessel it will still function (proportionally) at 100% capacity.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    how about a concept where hull blocks get bonus. Hp from blocks next to it like gun blocks. Then you can get armor slave boots to add resistance to different guns but never invincible to all.